Vic High Country 2

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 12:28
ThreadID: 31172 Views:3269 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
For the first time I took some camper trailers into the VHC. The first day to King Hut via Lake Cobbler was not a problem. From there to Bluff track via Bluff Link Track was also traversed with out any trouble.
The next day from Howitts Hut to Talbotville was a new way for me. I didn't want to go down the Zeka Track because of the tight corners part way down and then there was the climb out again.
Heading south and onto Marathon Rd and then into Briagolong and then along Freestone Creek Rd to Dargo. From there into Talbotville.

Has any one taken a camper trailer from Howitts Hut to Talbotville not going through Wannagatta?

We also had a Britz camper with us. A Troopie with a very high roof and it made it around. The couple that had the Britz camper came from Maine, USA. A very nice couple that were here a few years ago, but this time wanted to go some where different.
I asked how they found out about the Tag a long and the Vic High Country? Googled and ExplorOz come up and found out about the trip from there.

We were lucky with the weather, two drops of rain in the 7 days, however in Wonnangatta Thursday night it poured while we only got the two drops of rain where we were at Talbotville.The area is very dry at the moment with the rivers very low.
The drive up Billy Goat is getting challenging, but is still wort the drive.
The rebuilding of Lovicks Hut has not progressed very much at all, just a few posts in the ground.
The car park at Craigs Hut is being extended to allow more vehicles to park and a few other improvements are also taking place. There in no provision for a two wheel drive track to be put in, only a bigger car park on the Circuit Road.

Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: peterK - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 15:20

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 15:20
Wayne

On News Year Day (all 45 degrees of it) we went from Talbotville to Horseyard Flat. We went out to Dargo/Waterford along Traills track- Junction Spur - Castle Hill Tk - Pinnacles Rd. Six cars with 5 Trailers. It was a challenge, the heat and a breakdown didnt help (stuffed idler pully) . Won't do it again though. Next time I am just going to go via the Valley. (which at the time we thought would be harder.)

It was dry but started to drizzle late in the day when we were recovering the breakdown. 4.8 Patrol pulling F250 recovery vehicle pulling 3l Patrol (using engine power in small sections) and camper and two us us dragging winch cable. Would have made a great photo - if I had of bothered at the time (lol)

Also spent a few hours winching a few others who we found stuck up the last long hill which was a bit slippery (the northern end of Junction Spur).

Next morning was a quick and easy drive from Horseyard to Howitt along Moroka

peter
AnswerID: 157152

Follow Up By: peterK - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 15:31

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 15:31
I should add for your info (regarding taking a group through) we had three patrols and a jack dragging CTs and although it was a hard drive and drivers somewhat experienced we made it okay. Petrol navara towing CT with no brakes struggled and had an "intersting day" . Hilux no CT had fun. The people we helped had a lazy axle cruiser and Paj but they probably would have been okay without drizzle.

For a tagalong (with CTs) I probably wouldnt recommend it (having worked on a couple on VHC and having a guess at what you are after)

If you wanted you could run along Moroka then down Marathon then over to Waterford - all gravel and a nice drive (we did it to get parts), or Moroka, Pinnacles then down Billy Goat.
FollowupID: 411378

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 16:05

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 16:05
Peter,
Thank you for the feed back.
Didn't want to take the convey down Billy Goat as this is one of the drives that we do two days later with out the CT.
The tight bend near the bottom of the drive might also catch a few out. I know if I don't get it right I tend to hang a tyre over the edge.
Running the trip with usually only one set up vehicle (mine) I don't wish to do a lot of recovery.

Wayne
FollowupID: 411382

Sponsored Links