canopy hard roof/canvas side design

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 16:03
ThreadID: 31178 Views:3187 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am in the process of designing a canopy for a Navara single cab.

My initial idea is to build a square frame from RHS that covers the tray area and cab. The canvas sides would be on rope tracks for fitting/removal.

I am thinking that the canvas would also have to be across the front of the tray to avoid hassles with the design if I had a hard front i.e. sealing the canvas to front area to stop dust.

My only real problems are how to mount the tracks and canvas

The canvas will have to be at least 2 piece with a (zip?) joiner. Can dust/rain get in at this point? What design will combat this?

The same applies at the corners where there will?? be a gap between the tracks to allow the canvas to go around the corner.

At the front the track will be forward of the front of the tray (only by 10mm or so, not sure this is a big problem)

Any design ideas or photos would be much appreciated. Photos can be sent to me at keyperth@yahoo.com.au

Would love to have a look at other peoples rigs in Perth metro if possible

Steve M

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (SA) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 22:43

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 22:43
Hi Steve, I made this canopy myself in a weekend (except the canvas). The key to it is the 2 flaps in the front panel and having under the tailgates sealed with foam. When travelling on dirt with the 2 flaps open the air rushing in presurises the canaopy keeping 99% of the dust out. Obviously you'll get some in when passing other cars or travelling slowly. Very cheap and easy to build. I've atached the front edge of the canaopy to the headboard of the tray and only have 2 legs at the back. This stops the canopy moving independant of the tray making it heaps more rigid. This is especially important if you plan on putting a tinny on the roof. My old cruiser canopy cracked in the corners where the feet were mounted to the roof because it used to shake back and forward and had to be attached to the tray headboard to stop this. A good canvas guy will know how to make the canopy part with all the right gear. Go and see a couple of different places.
AnswerID: 157221

Sponsored Links