alcohol restrictions in kimberleys

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 20:37
ThreadID: 31188 Views:1760 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi all,
i was wondering it there are any alcohol restrictions in the kimberley, in particular the GGR and mitchell plateau and honey moon bay, such as on cape york
i dont want to get caught out
thanks
fredd
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sarg - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 21:55

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 21:55
Only that there arn't'enough places to get it !!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 157210

Reply By: South - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 23:17

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 23:17
Kalumburu is a dry community. But with that said others were freely consuming tinnies at camp grounds out of town...
AnswerID: 157226

Reply By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 00:41

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 00:41
G'day Fredd,
May I assume you're a cane toad, and have vivid memories of our political drama at Lochardt R. in the very recent past.
We found in July- Oct/05 that ,provided you enjoyed a quiet Reisling (not to mention Mead or rUFF red) with your freshly caught mackrel/jew/GIANT oysters at Kalumburu etc., life is sweet.
Be subtle,and life was easy then;(6 months ago).
Back in The Smart State, we did a quick run up toward Pandanus Park early Jan. (06)Got as far as Old Laura (then 'road closed'.Blimey, it's the wet season: silly me.), and just felt that 'no grog' meant burning at the stake if sprung.

---I suspect that Qld. is probably at the harsher end of penalties for trafficking offences, and I offer no solutions. I know that I won't be travelling to Bamaga in the current legislative climate, but, unless things have changed, WA is sweet.
(And in the Name of those who must remain nameless (or at least 'cartoonless') WA. does have an aweful lot to offer.
Enjoy, before they seal the GRR, as has just been done to the Cooktown link. (Is it really true that the Icon of 'buy Australia' has leased his 'chopper to a land agent in/around Cooktown? //Surely not, Dikky.
Enjoy a quiet health drink while surveying that wonderful State.
' Cheers'
AnswerID: 157234

Reply By: fredd - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 17:00

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 17:00
thanks guys,
i guess that answers my question, i can have a quiet ale

fred
AnswerID: 157319

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 19:23

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 19:23
Many of the large number of Aboriginal Communities in the Kimberley have legally enforcable alcohol bans. These bans are agreed on by the Communities themselves and often enforced by the elder women.

The main concern up here is of tourists smuggling grog into these Communities for resale at hoped for profit.

Those who do this are very much part of the problem and are likely to be treated accordingly if caught. In fairness to 4WD people etc I should add the offenders seem mostly to be overseas backpackers.

You are required not to consume alcohol whilst passing through these areas but generally the official attitude toward carrying it in reasonable amounts is not fascist. These comments apply to Broome at least.
Collyn Rivers

AnswerID: 157346

Sponsored Links