Off road advice-Wonnagatta

Submitted: Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 11:12
ThreadID: 31199 Views:3178 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone please offer me some advice as to if it would be safe/easy to take off road trailer from Sheepyard Flat-Zeka Spur Track-Wonnagatta Track-Dargo then up to Omeo-Tom Groggin-Corryong?

I imagine that this would be difficult in wet weather but if tracks were dry would this trip be possible with trailers?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 11:54

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 11:54
Adey,

I was down that area last week with camper trailers. I was wanting to go from Howitts hut, which is near the start of the Zeka track, to Dargo. I used the Zeka track 4 weeks earlier with out trailers and in the wet it was very interesting to say the least. Part way down the Zeka there is a left hand bend with a big wash away on the right side of the track. I had to guide the other vehicles through this bend with out the vehicles falling into the hole.
With a trailer I would have thought it would fall into the hole and drag the back of the vehicle into the hole. If it is dry it might be OK but after that there is another rocky section to get past. Once that you are in the Wonnangatta the climbs out of there are very steep and loose. I have driven them a lot but never with a off road trailer.

I went down Howitt Rd to Arbuckle Junction, Moroka Rd and then Marathon Rd. This took us to Briagolong. Freestone Creek Rd up to Dargo High Plains Rd. This was a easy way to go. I did think of going down Billy Goat from Moroka Rd but that track is very steep with a tight bend near the bottom of the track.

From Dargo to Omeo I have not travelled but from Omeo to Tom Groggin Benambra Rd to Limestone Rd and then onto Davies Plain Track to Tom Groggin. From Tom Groggin to Corryong again I can not help.

The way you go will depend on how confident you are towing the trailer, what vehicle that is doing the towing and if there is another vehicle with you. Also what recovery gear that you have.

Wayne
AnswerID: 157279

Reply By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:15

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:15
Sound advice above.

Another way you can get to Wonnagatta is via Cobbler Lake and Buffalo River, a bit of care up the staircase and the rest is fairly straight forward.

Getting out of Wonngatta is very steep and loose heading towards Dargo, Wombat and Hearn Spur are difficult with a trailer, the other track (the name escapes me) has a few steep pinches but a bit easier.

Davies High Plains to Tom Groggin is ok with a steep climb up Mt Cintha? All tracks are hard in the wet if not impossible with a trailer.
AnswerID: 157282

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:24

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:24
Tony,
The other track would be Water Spur TK to Mt Sarah. From there Tea Tree Range Rd to Racecourse TK and then on to Talbotville and Dargo.

Wayne
FollowupID: 411519

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:27

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:27
Thats them Wayne, would you think this to be the best way out to Dargo.
FollowupID: 411521

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:34

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:34
Tony,

McMillan TK is a two wheel drive track and is the easy way out of Talbotville. It is very narrow in places but drivable in all weather.

Bulltown Spur is short and steep but to get there 23 river crossing have to be done. Collingwood is another way, very long and steep.

Wayne
FollowupID: 411524

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:38

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:38
No, I ment to say "out of Wonnagatta" with a trailer on.
FollowupID: 411526

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:57

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:57
Tony,

The Mt Sarah TK would be the easiest with a trailer. I went up that way 5 weeks ago when it was raining.

Wayne
FollowupID: 411528

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 16:49

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 16:49
Adey,

Easiest way in and out of Wonnangatta with a trailer that I know of would be the East Buffalo Tk. In November several trailers came in via Zeka but from memory they said it was about a five- six hour slowwww trip from Howitt Hut.

Hart Spur is probably too steep and is a very long climb out as is Hearns, and Wombat Spur has some very steep pinches, and is very narrow with huge drops into the river if you meet oncoming traffic.

I'm not sure about Omeo to Tom Groggin and I'm thinking of trying it from the Tom Groggin end myself - haven't made my mind up yet to try towing or just tent it which would be far easier. (Problem is now we have a camper the wife's gone off the tent). Tom Groggin to Corryong can be done on bitumen which defeats the purpose a little but the climb from Tom Groggin up to the Mt Pinnibar turnoff would be best left for non towing vehicles. It can be quite damp even a long time after rain as in places it is quite sheltered from the overhead canopy cover.

You'd struggle your way up in the wet without the trailer. In the wet it'd be nearly impossible without causing substantial track damage.

Dave
AnswerID: 157316

Reply By: ian - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 17:38

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 17:38
Adey,
I have towed trailers a lot, and been to Wonnangatta twice this summer, different tracks each time. I didn't take the trailer, and wouldn't choose to take a trailer down Zeka or up wombat spur. It is definately a accepted risk if you do it. Mostly it will be OK, but if a couple of things go wrong it just may pull you over the edge. With locked diffs and good off road tyre up should be OK. Down would worry me a bit, but it can be done.
You could go in and out from the north. That would be OK, and the valley is just as good no matter how you get there.
enjoy it
Ian
AnswerID: 157324

Reply By: Peter 2 - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 17:57

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 17:57
The easiest way from Omeo to Tom Groggin is Benambra- Mt Hope Rd-Tom groggin Track, 2wd most of the way except for the last drop down to tom groggin itself.
wouldn't want to be wet at all though if you were towing.
I've towed a light camper trailer (500kgs loaded) all over Oz except for the CSR and the Vic High country but while all would be ok in the dry it would be a bit dangerous in the wet especially by yourself.
AnswerID: 157328

Reply By: Warrie - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 21:15

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 21:15
We forded the Murray at Groggin in mid Jan - only knee deep and 25m wide. Went up to the hut on the Davies Plain Tk with rain starting and fog and mist rolling in through the burnt out trees. Some steep bits are pure clay so would be interesting in the wet. The Alpine way is now all tar. Go across the dam wall at Khancoban, turn sharp left immediately (30m) after crossing the spillwayand take some fun tracks across country to Corryong. Bring your bush saw. Or go Omeo to Suggan Buggan and up the Barry Way to Jindabyne. You'll have the road to yourself.
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 157378

Sponsored Links