There are many rumors about that the Daintree

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 13:15
ThreadID: 31249 Views:2016 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
ferry is going to out of service for 3 months.
There is a council meeting at midday and a press release from the council should be out late today to squash all the rumors.
It is going to keep running 99.99999% it is only apparently a change of contractor.

All the best
Eric
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rocketsalad - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 13:50

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 13:50
yep.....
It was in yesterdays Australian. The gist of it is that the old operaters contract finishs 2 or 3 months before the new guy will have his barge ready.So the bloke who has the barge now is saying FAR QUE to the Gouglas Shire council and not continuing untill the new lease starts. I feel theres a lot more to it than what the Australian reported.

rs
AnswerID: 157525

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 17:03

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 17:03
No problem Eric just take your punters thru the CREB Track, should be open and dry by the time you are up this way. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 411844

Reply By: Dan Irby - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 14:32

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 14:32
PRESS RELEASE:
DAINTREE FERRY WILL CONTINUE - COUNCIL

The Douglas Shire Council has responded angrily to what it calls misinformed and mischievous reports that the Daintree River Ferry will cease operation from 21st March 2006.

Douglas Shire Council Mayor, Cr Mike Berwick said: “a recent report appearing in The Australian newspaper is unfounded and amounts to nothing more than journalistic ‘sensationalism’ and scaremongering.”

Mayor Berwick added, “a number of senior members of the Council’s staff have been in negotiations with the current ferry operator for some months, seeking either to extend the current contract to 30th June 2006 or for the Council to purchase the ferry from the operator with effect from the date of the termination of the contract”.

Cr Berwick said: “the negotiations are progressing and I am very confident they will be successfully concluded well before 21st March. In the event that doesn’t happen arrangements will be in place to continue a ferry service between the period of the expiry of the current contract and the commencement of the new contract. The nature of these arrangements is confidential.”

He added: “The Council considers the ferry service to be an ‘essential service’ for the Shire’s residents north of the Daintree River, as well as for tourism and other business operators and the travelling public generally”.

“We are doing and will continue to do everything in our power to secure the service during the transition from the existing contract to the new contract,” he concluded.

Further information can be obtained by contacting the office of the Mayor of the Douglas Shire Council on (07)4099 9444 during business hours.

AnswerID: 157538

Follow Up By: rocketsalad - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 15:41

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 15:41
I sort of thought the story in the paper was crap. Why do journalists write BS for?
FollowupID: 411810

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 17:01

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 17:01
Well said Dan thanks for setting us straight, we had all been concerned to say the least. A deal must have been struck with the original contractor who now finds himself in the box seat. What it basically boiled down to was that the council accepted a significantly cheaper tender from an operator that didn't even have a ferry. The council in their wisdom then told the current contractor his contract would not be renewed. Ok then he said I will pull my ferry out of the water when my contract expires. You can't do that because the new cotractor has to build a ferry because he doesn'y even have one. After the 21\3\06 thats not my problem said the original cotractor. mmmmm sounds like very expensive rent on a ferry for a while for the council .....don't you love local politics or any politics for that matter. A new way to waste tax payers money. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 411842

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 21:49

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 21:49
NEWS FLASH the Daintree council have just agreed to buy the old ferry even tho the contractor wanted way more than its worth, saves him having to pull it out and advertise it too. I wonder what the council will do with the old ferry when the new contractor gets his ferry built suposedly in just 3 months. Love to see an audit on what this little exersize will end up costing. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 411930

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 16:08

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 16:08
It's what they call a 'colour' story. But it's not confined to journos!
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 157553

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 17:31

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 17:31
Tut, tut Collyn. We would never 'colour' our posts :)))))
FollowupID: 411854

Follow Up By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 18:01

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 18:01
Gramps
Your candle quote reminds me of this:

"My candle burns at both its ends
It will not last the night
But ah my friends - and oh my foes
It gives a splendid light"

Whilst aware of your quote (I think the Swedenborgian Church uses it a lot) do you know its DEFINITIVE origin?

It's also attributed to Martin Luther King but it probably goes back two millenia!

Collyn
FollowupID: 411863

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 18:13

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 18:13
Collyn,

I'm not sure but I believe it is part of an old Talmudic proverb/Hanukah prayer. The rest is

"but one candle can light up the world"

I have no real knowledge of the Jewish faith whatsoever but I was attracted to the thought behind those words.

Regards
FollowupID: 411869

Reply By: roofscooter2 - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 20:13

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 20:13
Good evening Gramps glad you arrived home safe after your trek up to Jacobs Well for the EO muster regards ,Bob.
AnswerID: 157608

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 22:40

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 22:40
Very Interesting... one of the "Old Daintree Ferries" is now in service at Ballina...I wonder how local Govt manages to shoot themselves in the feet so continuously...What exactly you do with a cable punt that is made redundant is an interesting question... Not like old Melbourne trams that are fiercely bid for on Ebay, the last on sold for $250,000.....
AnswerID: 157693

Sponsored Links