Battery sulphation removers

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 22:02
ThreadID: 31270 Views:8421 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at getting one of these sulphation removers.
I am looking at getting the one from Jaycar (Electus). STOCK-CODE: MB3660
Can anyone tell me if they are suitable for Calcium & AGM batteries or just flooded cells.

from Marty.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: V8 Troopie - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 01:28

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 01:28
Marty, you might want to ask that question here:
http://p198.ezboard.com/fleadacidbatterydesulfationfrm1

BTW, I built one of these gadgets, do not expect instant miracles would be my advice.
I have no idea how good/bad the Jaycar version is.
My gut feeling is that they are for flooded batteries only, they rely on the knocked off sulphation to sink to the bottom off the cell - not going to happen without a liquid.

Klaus
AnswerID: 157734

Reply By: Peter - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 01:57

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 01:57
marty,
i dont know anything about the jaycar stuff but Inox make a liquid desulphate that you simplu pour into your battery and it does the rest. it is even supposed to increase the life of your battery. depending on the age of the battery they even guarantee it. they have an internet site with all the info. it costs around $10-$15 at auto shops.
i used it many years ago on a nearly dead battery. helped a little but the battery was too far gone and i had to buy another one.
dont know if it can be used on agm or calcium batteries. you would need to ask the inox people to find out.

peter
AnswerID: 157736

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 04:21

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 04:21
Marty,

This device should be suitable for any battery, but sulphation is more common in wet cell batteries especially when improper charging or discharging has occurred.

I have a 3 stage charger which also checks for battery sulphation as part of the charging process. If it detects sulphation, it generates a Pulse charge at a specific frequency which breaks down the lead sulphate crystals adhering to the plates, therefore "regenerating" crook batteries.

The device you have identified would probably do the same and should not cause undue damage to your battery but check with Jaycar and ask if it tests for sulphation before it belts a high voltage charge through it.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 157743

Follow Up By: Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 06:22

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 06:22
I would really like to hear the answer that any Jaycar staff give too that question.

Also, can anyone please explain how a battery charger can detect sulphanation ? The ability of a lead acid battery to accept a charge can be effected by many processes and I doubt that a charger can decide with any certainty that sulphanation is the problem.
FollowupID: 412040

Follow Up By: hl - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 09:10

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 09:10
Hi,

It can't detect sulphation with accuracy, but I think the theory is that a sulphated battery voltage will rise above what can normally be expected. If you put a say 18 Volts on a sulphated battery, the battery will only drop this to say 15 or 16V and take much less than the expected current.
Whether it can be re-stored by applying a pulsed charge is another matter.....
Cheers
FollowupID: 412064

Follow Up By: hl - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 09:13

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 09:13
There seems to be quite a market for fancy chargers that promise to bring back dead batteries... Trouble is most of them seem to cost more than a couple of new batteries....
Cheers
FollowupID: 412065

Reply By: rolande- Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 07:54

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 07:54
Marty,

Had a guy try to sell me a popular brand of these units, I asked him to honesty reply whether it was worthwhile in my Silver/Calcium battery and if so would he guarantee results.

Only good for old fasioned lead acid batteries was the reply

Rolande
AnswerID: 157755

Reply By: Mainey (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 16:08

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 16:08
I've been using Megapulse battery 'optimisers' for a few years and my start battery is about 5 years old and two Deep Cycle Calcium batteries are over 4 years old and are in as new condition as of their last test in mid feb '06.

www.megapulse.net
AnswerID: 157861

Reply By: MartyB - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 19:21

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 19:21
Thanks for all the replies, I had thought that these were only suitable for flooded cells. I listened to a talk from Solar Panel Xpress & he said the Megapulse brand were suitable for all types of batteries. Comparing prices, I can buy 4 from Electus for the price of 1 Megapulse so I will get 1 & try it.

from Marty.
AnswerID: 157897

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 23:23

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 23:23
Marty, ever thought why are they so cheap, or conversely why the Megapulse units so expensive?
These things take some weeks to work and show results, so you will have to be patient and then the big question:

How do you actually determine if it’s working - or not?
FollowupID: 412312

Follow Up By: MartyB - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 23:04

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 23:04
Mainey,
I suppose I could drag out a CRO & see if it is putting out a pulse. But without having a megapulse to compare it to, yes it would be hard to tell if it is as good.
Only way is to try it on a couple of old batteries.

Marty.
FollowupID: 412601

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 23:56

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 23:56
I bought a series (II) megapulse and used it on my starter as it was getting 'lazy' it returned to full life after a while, so I then bought a series (III) because it's rated for two batteries in parrallel, and connected it to my two Deep Cycle batteries and they are almost 5 years old and still in excellent condition.
Sometimes you just have to spend the money and take the risk.
FollowupID: 412630

Reply By: arthurking83 - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 22:49

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 22:49
My father has a small collection of about 10 lead acid batteries at his house(well...some are mine! )1 Calcium and 1 AGM (a very old Odessy).

Most had been sitting for years, and possibly died due to extremely low voltage....

But none have come good with the desulphating zapper I made from the JayCar kit.

In fact the Calcium battery appears to be OK(I didn't zap this), good voltage and good current when tested with the 'cheap and nasty' battery load tester, but will not crank his 60series diesel!

The AGM gives good voltage and load, and will only just crank the diesel.

Maybe one of the standard SLA batteries may be coming good....but it seems to be a very slow process.........So far it's been about 2months!

Overall I'd say money well spent on the zapper, (I love a challenge!!) and worth the effort to realise that a battery is DEAD!!
I'm in two minds about the battery load tester (from SuperCheap).
It cost around $60-70, it does a load test on the battery with an internal heating element, and instantaneously indicates how many volts the battery has under this load. The tester get very hot if used more than 20 seconds!

of the 12 batteries tested so far only three have been accurately indicated by this tester. All the others failed the real test.
It sometimes says that the battery is good, when in fact it won't perform it intended function!

The battery collection consists of various 7-12 Ah 12 volt, for powering the kids(his grandchildren) electric vehilcles, 3 or so car batteries, a couple of 70ZZ's and 1 deep cycle 70ZZ @ 120Ah.

The main charger used to rescusitate the batteries is my 20Amp Arlec charger, and some are kept on a float charge with a 4 amp 'lil tacker.

ps. If you buy the Zapper KIT, there are some fiddly bits when it comes time to screw the completed PCB board to the the supplied case.
You may need several longnosed very slim pliers, or the 4 machine screws supplied to do this job, should be replaced with ones of double the length.

good luck with it! :))
AnswerID: 158222

Follow Up By: MartyB - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 23:00

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 23:00
Thanks for the reply.
I didn't realise they had a kit, what I am looking at is pre assembled. I will go & have a look.

from Marty.
FollowupID: 412599

Sponsored Links