AIR COMPRESSOR L/C V8

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 22:45
ThreadID: 31274 Views:1845 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi would like suggestions on where to install Ox air compressor in L/C V8... Have dual battery so space is limited under bonnet..
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 22:51

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 22:51
DJK,

Anywhere in the back of the vehicle is better than under the bonnet with all that heat.
Under the passenger seat is an option, at the base of the cargo barrier or have it mounted in a plastic tool box and connect to the battery when needed.

Wayne
AnswerID: 157696

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:05

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:05
Hi Wayne

Just curios
Why not in the engine bay ? Those things are build to stand the heat, mine is in the engine bay and I have not had any problems?
FollowupID: 412090

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:30

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:30
Troll,

They can be fitted in the engine bay and they can take the heat but I have never liked fitting them there.
The Ox is a re badged Big Red air compressor and they have a built in thermal protection. When they get too hot they will shut down rather than burn out.
When you are pumping up the tyres your engine will be running even though the compressor is connected to the second battery it will soon slow down if not running on a full 12v.
The heat produced by motors these days with all the plastic shields only holds the heat in and the compressor will hit its thermal cut off very quick. It might pump up one maybe two tyres and then turn off until it cools.
The amount of room under the bonnet these day is getting less so I think that the portable option is the best. Connect it to the battery when required and if your mate needs to use it he can plug it to his battery.
If the trailer needs to have air then if the compressor is under the bonnet a long air house is required or the trailer un-hitched and the vehicle taken to the trailer. Mounted in the back or portable this will not have to happen as the air house should be long enough.
The other things that the compressor does not like and that is dust and water, two common things that are under the bonnet.
I have got two compressors built into the storage area of the Troopie, they enjoy a air condition ride with no dust and work very hard. Every time a Simpson Desert crossing is done. They have to pump up at least 12 tyres before I can head of to the Birdsville Pub for a cold lemon squash. I don't need the compressor stopping to cool down while I am getting hot.

Wayne
FollowupID: 412115

Reply By: Laura B - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:45

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:45
we are going to put our one in the engine bay - got an 80 petrol/lpg - not sure where in there cos there is so much lpg gear - whats this air compressor like???we havent got one yet...still looking..is the price good??

Laura B
AnswerID: 157791

Sponsored Links