Barkly Stock ROute

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 07:39
ThreadID: 31318 Views:3774 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I tried doing the search function but that didn't offer much so now it is into the forum with my enquiry.

I am sure someone has and most likely many have wandered along the Barkly stock route. Is there any of the usual information available among the forumites ?

Our intention would be to travel from east to west and if possible from Gregory Downs. According to a few old mud maps and yarns it might be possible to eventually come out on the Stuart Highway ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 08:51

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 08:51
I travelled the Barly Barkly S/R about 14 months ago Elliott to near Avon Downs , The section to the West of the Tablelands Hwy was a good run with some road works in a few places so now it would be even better. Of course as we all should know dirt roads are always different every time but Triple Stock Double Decker Roadtrains use all the roads in those area's.To the East of the Tablelands Hwy it was a lot different there with the track being of natural soil and the old sticky grey muck [when wet] and that means no stones to be running over but if it rains in there make sure you have plenty of food and beer.Down closer to the Barkly once again stones on the track and some were ROCKS and also plenty of Cattle wandering about , all in all i enjoyed the journey compared to the sealed road ive travelled so many times in Trucks it was good to go somewhere different.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 158018

Follow Up By: peterll - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:17

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:17
Thanks for the information DOug T, seems like a trip for us so it is to be pencilled in for the trip from April to June.

As for road trains.. I figure that with something like 125 tonnes at 100kph then those guys can have all the road they want, I usually head for the edge and then take note of where I might need to go from there. Years ago I had a great ride in one of those big rigs. The ultimate dirt road vehicle. Back then they could have as many as 5 trailers, used to scare the heck out of tourists :)

We will most likely go from Avon Downs west, that we way the worst is over quicker

Thanks again
FollowupID: 412363

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:58

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:58
100Ks shhhhhh 90Ks sounds better LOL , just jokin' but 90 is the legal for them but some over-run down hills happens and it does'nt do any damage to the truck unless it's by gearing then the engine could over-rev , if it's by Computer then it's no problem, Hey enjoy your trip out there ,where you will cross Connell's Lagoon i found interesting, I'm glad it wasn't wet

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 412379

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 19:30

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 19:30
It's my standard route when I go across from Broome to the top of Qld - have trabbeled it about eight times - lasy was July 2005.

Very clearly marked track in good condition - at least in the dry.

You could do it in a good 2WD with ease. Starts around Anthony Lagoon and comes out on Highway Alice to Darwin.
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 158147

Sponsored Links