Beachcombing the Eyre Penin

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 21:47
ThreadID: 31350 Views:2131 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just spent some days on the eastern seaboard of the Eyre Peninsula.

Camped at Lipson Cove with Lipson Island accessible at low tide(on foot). The smell of the bird chit was not too endearing but the hi-light was a very close encounter with a Sea-Lion. Nearly stepped on the bugger! He growled at us but then posed for photos. Got up close in the water to playfiul pod of dolphins who hung a round for hours. The watewr was freezing to start with but once you were numb it was good. The weather was great, in the mid 20's, although today was a tad warm for the drive home(uphill all the way).

Also called in at Cowleys Beach, Cape Hardy, Carrow Wells, Port Neill, Arno Bay, Port Gibbon and Cowell. Had a look at some good looking white sandy dunes at Point Gibbon for a future foray in to that area. FRom POrt Gibbon to Cowell there are lots of beach access poiunts and a good place to stroll around is at Flat Rocks.

Heading home from Cowell we were in to a hot head wind and the old GQ struggled along with the trailer in tow. My butchered water temp gauge showed 130 but I doubt it.(must get the thing fixed)

A good time was had by all.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 23:01

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 23:01
That wasn't a long time away. You didn't even have time to unwind. LOL
Nothing much has happened here, not worth going back over the last few days.
See ya old mate.
AnswerID: 158225

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 23:05

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 23:05
Woops, I've been found out. WHO member messaged you? I should have read the previous thread before I responded
FollowupID: 412602

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 08:53

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 08:53
Lipson is a lovely spot Willem - there on a lazy arvo about 12 years back, with a couple of young fellas who wanted to wet a line from the shore - we were standing there talking about salmon on the west coast and a small school happens to wander into Lipson - took us a bit too long to get the surf rods off the car and rig them, but I at least got one for dinner that night. Tumby was our base, but reports suggest its a a bit urban now. Far side of the peninsula at Drummond point was good - lots of rock species easily picked from a very safe natural platform.
AnswerID: 158289

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 09:36

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 09:36
Aaah, beachcombing - wish I could do that. Stillhaven't seen that beautiful part of Australia - am surprised there are still places you can just wander with only sea lions and dolphins for company. I need to get out more. Can't wait to see the photos. I'm glad you're back Willem - only horrible people here.
As for DL - he and I are FINISHED. NO MORE. LOL
AnswerID: 158299

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:34

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:34
Well, you are due to retire soon, eh? what?

You can bring the GIANT trailer down and fish and swim and just do nothing on the Eyre. Out of school holidays and during the week you can have the place to yourselves....BLISS!!! :o)

As for DL....I don't blame you...lol
FollowupID: 412725

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:21

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:21
Good to see you and Judith home safe.
How did the new trailer go?
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 158319

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:29

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:29
Hi John

The trailer went extremely well and has made camping so much easier. Just have to remember it is there especially when venturing down blind tracks..lol
FollowupID: 412721

Sponsored Links