CEM

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 22:01
ThreadID: 31351 Views:3738 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
hi i have 1997 3.2 ltr deisel navara 4x4 dual cab it has done 290,000 kms, just have injectors an pump done up has not made a lot of differents.i am thinking of extractors and bigger exhaust, but i have heard of this cem stuff and thinking the motor may be clogged up ?????????has any one tryed it out or any oither tips to improve feul economyi get about 7.5 kms per ltr
thanks peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 22:37

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 22:37
Roachie gave me some CEM to try, so I tried it on my TD42 GQ with 340,000 on it, made ZERO difference to anything, it did clean out some crap, but no change to power, economy, or anything.

IMHO All these things are placebos.. people WANT them to work so in their minds they do.

Extractors and bigger exhaust will set you back $700+ for a good setup, and the gain will be minimal, certainly not $700 worth :(

if you must save up and turbo it with the crew from Denco - they took me for a run in theirs when I had my GQ in their shop.. I didnt ride in it before they worked the turbo, but it did go quite well :) Suprised me..
AnswerID: 158219

Follow Up By: navara disaster - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 22:44

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 22:44
thanks truckster , any advice is great full , i have been a bit slack on the oil changes and it was a farm ute with stuffed thermostat, so it hardly got hot thats one of the reasons i thought of trying the CEM
thanks peter
FollowupID: 412589

Reply By: bucky - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 05:43

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 05:43
Have you looked at the write ups on Hyclone, it may be what you are loking for ,,, not too sure if they work for My 3.0 TD Navara ,,, but I believe that they are good for normally aspirated motors...by the way extractors and a large exhaust pipe will help the motor breath, a lot better ,, thus helping too
Web site
www.fuelsaver.com.au

Cheers mate
Bucky
AnswerID: 158270

Follow Up By: navara disaster - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 14:08

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 14:08
thanks bucky ,i have 1 hyclone in it nowit seemed to help? but i will check out the extractors for sure
cheers peter
FollowupID: 412768

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 09:39

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 09:39
Used the CEM oil flush on my 92 80 series turbo diesel ,,normal oil change with filter = 9.5 lt , used recommended rate of CEM ,11LT oil +sludge removed ,, oil now "stays" cleaner visualy for longer ,no other major improvements ,none measurable anyway ,
AnswerID: 158301

Follow Up By: navara disaster - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 14:14

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 14:14
thanks mate for the coments
FollowupID: 412769

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:36

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:36
Used both CEM product for my diesel nissan patrol, the fuel and the oil products. Cleaned the car right out and found it ran better. The patrol had done just over 350K when i started using it. I was happy with the product. I sent my left overs to Willem.
AnswerID: 158321

Follow Up By: navara disaster - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 14:15

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 14:15
thanks sounds good, thanks peter
FollowupID: 412770

Reply By: Ron173 - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:50

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:50
Navara disaster, whats the disaster?

I have 99 model, have a wildcat extractor system and 2.5 inch throughout, best $600 I ever spent on it.

Turbo will give more power and heaps of heat, but will also create more stress, as I'm keeping mine for long term went with the extractors, I did extractors first, then next payday did system, $300 a piece. Have to say you need them both to complement each other.

7.5km/ltr is 13.3ltr/100km which is IMO bit much. I get around 10.5lt/100km goes up to bout 11.5 to 12ltr/100km towing.

Do you trust the shop who did the injectors n pump?? like did they do them right?

I would have thought that after the kms you have difference would be significant.

Run some diesel additive with it for a while, flash lube or chemtech or similair.

Ron
AnswerID: 158323

Follow Up By: navara disaster - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 14:22

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 14:22
hi thanks, no real disaster it has been a good car, its just very thirsty, u get great econony wish mine was that good .the shop who did the job has a good name around the place hopefullly it will come right??????????
thanks peter
FollowupID: 412771

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 21:17

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 21:17
Peter,

that figure of 10.5lt/100km, I get on the drive to work circuit, which is pretty sedate driving,at the 100km/hr limit, if I decide to get somewhere quick and put the foot down, it can get quite thirsty too. Generally its good though, and well pleased with it.

seems not many of us around on here, toonfish is another owner, but stay in touch n swap info on the Nav if you like, Ron173@aapt.net.au is private email. Contact me, I'll show you some pics of extractors etc.

I look after mine very well as I dont plan to replace it for a long time,

got a few mods on it, apart from extractors/exhaust, unifilter (great cos its reuseable, supposedly a smidging more power, but just not $50 thrown away, and only cost $75)
Got cruise control, good on trips. Magnetic fuel digerydoo, no idea if it works, but only cost $20 on ebay!! Dual batt system/engel. OME with 50mm lift.

I do routine maint myself, its had no need to be in a major dealer yet, although would use if essential. (robbers round my way on labour!)

Rgds

Ron

FollowupID: 413100

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 12:33

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 12:33
I am now using the CEM products - (and no it is not an advertising contra deal - I paid for it same as everyone else).

I have only just started but used the FOC for the 200,000 service oil change. The oil in our car was always black even when replaced - 5 mins later black again. So I used the flush and poured a few litres of new in when I was draining out the original oil. I can now say that the oil is significantly cleaner after a few hours of operation than it would have been before. I will continue to use it on my 5K oil changes and see what happens over time.

I bought the 250ml pack of FOC and CleanPower ($99). So I am also trying the Cleanpower product, our vehicle with all the extra stuff we carry is V heavy and my fuel ecomony is totally crap (worst 80 series diesel figures I have ever heard of 5-6KM/ltr or 16-20Ltr/100 - not towing) I will gauge anything else we try on these figures if it imporves even a little bit it would help. At upto $1.4/ltr you only need a very small imporvement to make it cost effective and is really a cheap test, if it does not work then you have not really lost much less than $50 ish for 250ml will last for ages at 20ml/80ltr mix rates.

Mind you my vehicle may improve itself as the timing belt I swaped out had a few degress worth of slackness and would have shifted the fuel pump timing a little so this may improve the fuel consumption significantly and not be related to the CEM product at all. Time will tell and I am happy to try.

This is a totally personal post and does not endorse the CEM product in anyway other than that I paid for it and am using it and this is what I think.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 158332

Follow Up By: kesh - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 13:36

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 13:36
David. Slackness in the timing belt does not affect the pump timing, it is gear driven from the crankshaft. But it will affect the valve timing if the belt is not correctly tensioned.
I believe the 1hz. engine is very sensitive powerwise to incorrect valve timing, particularly if the inlet valve is opening late.
Mine benefitted by advancing the injection pump timing by 2 degrees.
kesh
FollowupID: 412757

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 13:48

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 13:48
Kesh,

I know it is a toothed belt but it appeared that the slackness was actually from being over stretched (for some reason) and as such the timing marks were out of alignment. I and just re-reading what I wrote I said fuel pump - I meant cam/valve timing. It appeared that the tensioner had bottomed out (max travel) and was causing a slackness on the drive side of the belt as well and the tensioner side. What ever it was it was in desperate need of a change.

Hey when you advanced the timing did you just rotate the fuel pump? For advancing the timing I would assume you rotated anti clockwise - shifting the mark up on the fuel pump, is this correct? It may be worth a try if it can be done easily. I had the car dynoed when the injectors were replaced and it showed some huge loss (which we could not find) - I do not believe they shifted the pump as it was aligned with the same mark after as when it went in. Any help in fixing my thirsty machine would be welcome.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 412761

Follow Up By: navara disaster - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 14:25

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 14:25
thanks david ,i think i will give it a go .hope yours gets better too thanks peter
FollowupID: 412775

Follow Up By: kesh - Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 19:56

Friday, Mar 03, 2006 at 19:56
David. Yes it is a very simple matter, undo the pump to flange studs and the bracket support studs at the back of the pump. I rotated the pump a/clockwise about 1.25mm. from the original mark (bought mine new so knew history)
Also, as set the 1hz is set with quite a high max. fuel output, (like 4.2 Nissans, they smoke like blazes pulling hard) so I also unscrewed the fuel limit screw (one with a seal and a crimped on sleeve) about 1/3 to 1/2 turn. No smoke and cleaner oil.
My '97, 75 trayback always has a gvm of around 3000kg. (polyair on rear springs), towing a van about 1250kg. cruising at 95+ on flat roads, down through the gears on requirement, returns an average 13.5/16.0 l/100km. The higher figure is head wind component.
Mine at 185000 is on original injectors, no fuel additives, hiclones or magnets on the lines!
kesh
FollowupID: 412825

Sponsored Links