Diamantina River - Water arrives today

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 18:16
ThreadID: 31420 Views:2787 Replies:6 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
The minor floodwaters from Diamantina Lakes reached Birdsville this morning - unfortunately, I missed its arrival but some friends out for a drive on a Saturday morning and sitting in the middle of the bridge were lucky enough to see the head of the water come around the corner (up from the windmill) and flow under the bridge. They were thrilled. We weren't expecting to see any water for another week (our calculations were a mite out). Just been out for an obligatory afternoon drive on the common (great for seeing and waving to all your friends who are out doing the same thing) and down to the old causeway where the water is half way up the pipes and will undoubtedly come over. Great to see because the river was empty - even the big hole at the windmill - just sand.
The highest water was 3 metres at Diamantina Lakes (today it was 1.51m) - need 5 metres up there for a good flood here. We are happy to settle for a "fresh" - and I hope the little fishies are happy to see my bait in the morning.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Barry S (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 20:11

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 20:11
Good to hear the water has finally arrived Ruth. Ian should have some more fish for me to clean by the time Sully and I arrive.
AnswerID: 158610

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 20:36

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 20:36
Hi Barry - talking to Sully this a.m. but mostly about latest Pub News!
You two will have to be VERY careful when you get here and WALK everywhere. About half an hour ago I went up to the other house to get a Thermos flask - as I came back between the airport and oval I saw flashing red/blue lights (this excited me no end until I realised he meant me) - came to the window and put me on the bag. First time in 10 years (other than each racetime ferrying people to and fro the race track) and the Bedourie fellow put Ian on the bag (first time ever in his life) last Thursday on his way up to Boulia (he was sitting at King Creek just south of Bedourie).
Hope you're packed and ready to travel - temp 24 min and 37 max today and strong SE blowing - must be a seabreeze from all the bad weather down the south-east (least the garden is getting wet at the shed).
Flies = 30 max on back at any one time. Billabong still dry and will stay that way hopefully until after next lightning strike. LOL. Going fishing (to secret fish hole where 4 caught today by others) before breakfast tomorrow (taking bacon & eggs in case). LOL. See you soon.
FollowupID: 413091

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 02:24

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 02:24
Excuse my ignorance Ruth, but what do you mean by 'on the bag'?
What's the significance of the flashing lights? cops? ambulance?
Barnesy
FollowupID: 413148

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 14:32

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 14:32
Barnsey - R.B.T.= random breath test. This is a very small town (which is why it's funny) when the Police put the flashing lights on to stop you as you drive past the only Police car.
FollowupID: 413195

Reply By: Member - Barry S (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 22:30

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 22:30
Just read the "Rathy News" Did the culprit who swiped the shopping trolley own-up? Another question. Has the missing trolley returned? Trip preparation is going well. Hope to depart Melb to Sully's 23rd March. Sounds like the local law enforcement is gearing up for the silly season. See you soon.
AnswerID: 158643

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 14:22

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 14:22
Barry, Scotty sent mine up via email late yesterday. No the culprit didn't own up and as far as I know, no, the shopping trolley hasn't been returned. Maybe it will now a reward has been printed. LOL.
Water just over the old causeway today on our way back from S. Was slow - young small ones to start then after brekkie a couple of good ones each. The dunes on the way in though have enormous tops on them - from the big winds during summer. Water clean and fresh. Caught a 10" catfish - never seen one that big out there before. Usually get them about 1.5" (zillions of them) flowing over the causeway.
FollowupID: 413193

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 14:34

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 14:34
Barry S. was just talking to the Pub. They had 3 or so customers yesterday (Saturday) and none so far today. Great!!
FollowupID: 413197

Follow Up By: Member - Barry S (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 16:25

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 16:25
At least the Pub should be glad to see us, they will need Sully and I to keep them in the manner the're accustomed to. I suppose we will have to get used to some new staff, or they will have to get used to us. Happy to hear you got amongst the fish. Once the 4wd rush comes they will soon knock the tops of the sandhills.
FollowupID: 413215

Reply By: time waster - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 10:27

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 10:27
Hi Ruth we stayed at your park last August for a few days on our way to Alice, our second day we went for a drive out to the Simpson for 50km or so to come over a dune to a troopy with lights flashing and he said blow in the bag! I was shocked to se him, lucky it was only 10am. There was two coppers and they where heading accross getting everyone on the way.

Got to be careful everywhere.
AnswerID: 158677

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 11:02

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 11:02
Are you saying that the cops did a patrol across the Simpson and sticking everyone on the bay as they went?
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 413175

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 14:33

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 14:33
Hi time waster - they were very busy at that time last year. As I recall the South Australian boys were out there as well.
Yes, John (Vic), that's exactly what they do.
FollowupID: 413196

Follow Up By: time waster - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 15:01

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 15:01
Yes John they were stopping everyone they saw and breathtesting no matter the time of day. I was told in the pub it was a local cop with a Mt Isa cop for the ride. And i thought is was mandatory to have a couple when looking for camp.
FollowupID: 413403

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 12:53

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 12:53
Hello Ruth,

How's things? Water here is just over 1 metre, checked it about an hour ago. Did have a couple of freshes, over the past week or so, that will help down your way.

No flood here, so life's pretty ordinary. Dry as too, so into the stockwork this week.

Regards,
Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 158694

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 14:41

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 14:41
Hi there Bob, thought you would probably pop in for a look - we just got back. Popped into the crossing on the Carcoory road and it's only .4 there but flowing nicely. Very clean red water (Derek reckons it comes from Mayne!!!). Mostly baby fish (threw them back for next time) but caught enough bigger ones for tea tonight (used old yabbies and prawns) - pity you couldn't catch enough of those big old meat ants and make stew out of them, there were thousands of them (and bite too).
Just a bit flowing over the old causeway back here.
Very dry, no feed here ata ll. Where you putting all your stock though?
Life's been ordinary here all summer - but must say it's nice now to be able to get out and about during the day. Maybe we'll have a long cold winter - old father-in-law always said that plus hot dry summer usually meant a good following season.
Has Linda enjoyed her fresh water line to the house this summer?
Cheers, Ruth and Ian
FollowupID: 413199

Reply By: miker - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 15:10

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 15:10
Great reading your thread guys. With regard to the RBT's in that neck of the woods I was a little surprised last year when pulled over and tested inthe "boondocks" outside of Bedourie - no issues. I got to say though, it may be a changing world and all that but if I was busted for two tinnies (.06) halfway across the bloody WAA line one hot August arvo I would bleep off beyond words. Christ Almighty, is that genuinely the best "bang for the taxpayers buck" we can extract from coppers in the bush?? A sign of the times but still sucks.

Miker.

AnswerID: 158704

Follow Up By: Longreach - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 10:47

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 10:47
Hi Miker,
I don’t see what your problem is. Are you suggesting it should be .06 in the bush and .05 in town ? Last July we were about 20kms west of big red and pulled over for an RBT. Yes we were amazed to see them out there but safety is just as, if not far more important out there than in the city. I don’t want my family to have a head-on with someone at the top of a crest because they think they don’t have to be as careful when they go bush.
FollowupID: 413368

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:12

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:12
"But he was still one of the best bush drivers in the ruff stuff" ! My defence for a guy that became a mate on our Cape York "Raft across the Wenlock" adventure in '89. We had nine 4x4's on the trip..One driver drank a "slab" of VB "very beautiful etc" each day and a few more when we had a 21st birthday party at our three day camp at the Wenlock (building the raft out of 28 drums,wire,logs)..As we had the only two UHF's 47mhz),all the others had only CB's (27mhz) we had privacy on the UHF..However,after lunch and several cans,he would often ramble on a little,so we used to get radio trouble,mid afternoon."Get the drift?" Good company though and great bush driver..However,I do not condone drinking and driving. I am quite happy to enjoy my driving "dry".Drink when camped.On my trip to Birdsville last Anzac day,I got to admire the efforts of the young,family man,policeman.He appears to do his law enforcement (quite effictive,even at 2:30 am with a loudmouth camper).maintains the cash in the smick looking four public phone boxes(even on a busy Anzac day) and also weather station monitoring.Still made time to bring his family to the great,new town hall get-together of locals and "trucked in" Anzac parade/service marchers (me incl)..Good to hear Ruth's river runneth again...Have fun RockyOne!MPG:6!
AnswerID: 159049

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:36

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:36
Oh yeah ! 'n watch that Sully..He throws people out of planes,kinda!..He "threw" me out of a De-Haviland Domonie twin engined bi-plane on my first six or so jumps..When we were out on the wing,hanging on,packin'death,we looked and saw him in the doorway (jumpmaster),the expression on the face indicated we would'nt be getting back into the plane..Thanks for that Sully (sort of) All he had to do was yell to Merv,the pilot "hit her" and by powering up the port motor,would blow us off the wing pad anyway.
FollowupID: 413557

Sponsored Links