Finding Work

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 20:35
ThreadID: 31422 Views:2535 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My family and I will be travelling around Australia shortly and I am interested in any advice members could give me in regards to finding work as we travel. I currently work in a management position but I am prepared to do anything (within reason :)).

What type of work is normally available and what kind of rates are reasonable.

Thanks in advance.

PS. I tried to search the archives for information regarding this topic and could not find anything. If anyone has the correct keywords to locate these threads then I would also be grateful for that information as well.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: roofscooter2 - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 20:57

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 20:57
Timetogo, type in the search bar on the home page(Madec) you will find some helpfull threads. Or if you wish in you address bar of internet explorer www.madec.com.au.good luck & happy travels. Bob.
AnswerID: 158621

Reply By: Nebster - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 21:16

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 21:16
Hi
We are about to do the same thing in may, here's another website with information that may interest you Workabout Australia

Never know we might meet along the track somewhere?

Cheers
AnswerID: 158626

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 06:34

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 06:34
Nebster that is a really interesting site.
Plenty of work on it.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 413153

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 22:14

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 22:14
Just keep your ear to the ground whilst travelling. You will find signs up in Service stations and tourism centres as well.

I was an IT manager before I retired and ended up baby sitting a cattle station for 5 months. As long as you can do a bit of work it is everywhere up the top and across to the west.

Mightn't find much in management positions though.
AnswerID: 158641

Reply By: Kumunara (SA) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 06:41

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 06:41
In a lot of places the owners of businesses find it difficult to go on holidays because of the lack of people with any management qualifications and experience capable of running the business in their absence.

There are plenty of people who whilst travelling have ended up running a business for a while whilst the owners have a holiday.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 158661

Reply By: fox - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 12:37

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 12:37
Just to expand a little on that last post....my wife and I are Relief Managers and do just that.

We specialize in motels as a management couple and have had numerous enquiries from caravan and tourist parks as well.

We're working around 35 weeks of the year and touring with our 100 sries and new Kimberley Kamper for the other 17 weeks.

Our rates vary from motel to motel as they are all different, however we have a range of daily rates ranging from $165.00-$220.00 on a 7 day week basis and the motel owner accommodates us in either a standard unit on the property near reception or usually in the property residence. The motel also provides us with all meals from their larder or in house reastaurant or by means of a cash float.

We currently have enough work to keep us going for the next 2 years from our "Regulars"......this also factors in HOLIDAZE for us as well.

Having May & June in the Red Centre this year and maybe August accross the Gulf.

For more info, take a look at our web site at www.reliefmanagers.com.

As a management professional, this type of work may suit you better.

Our e-mail is on our web site on our contact page....I built the web site myself and marketed it to motels in the early days....After 3 weeks, we had 9 months of work bookings ahead of us.

Hope this helps
Warm regards to all
Rick & Julie
Relief Managers
AnswerID: 158691

Reply By: waynet - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 21:55

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 21:55
Hi

My wife (registered nurse) and I (electrician) are on a working holiday around Australia and find work relatively easy to find. Try this website

www jobsearch.gov.au and look at Harvest Trail

Happy camping

Wayne
AnswerID: 158797

Sponsored Links