Car transport Darwin - Melbourne

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 08:54
ThreadID: 31428 Views:9598 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip from Melbourne to Darwin sometime later this year. Instead of driving back home, preference would be to fly back (leaves a couple of extra days to look around in the North, instead of spending it on the road just chewing up distance). Only problem that needs to be solved is getting the car (80 series LC) back to Melbourne.
One option is the Ghan, but that takes away the time advantage as it takes 3 days as wel and only gets me to Adelaide and there are some height restrictions. Other option is to truck it back, but it seems that official car transporters will not allow that personal belongings are left in the car. Last option is off course to ask someone else to drive it back, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

At this time the trucking option seems to be the best if I can get around the personal belonging thing, so I was wondering about other peoples' experiences and any recommendations for companies.

Thanks,

Deur
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 10:30

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 10:30
Being an old truckie from way back and actually did drive a car carrier from Bris-Darwin still hasn't got a solution to your problem because what we did in the 80s was ok bur things have changed, My suggestion would be to approach some of the companies that run flat-top trailers,or what is known as General Freight Carriers from down south , Maybe an Owner/Driver who is looking for something just to help pay a bit of fuel , could have half a load or nothing But then with personal belongings are left in the car i would lean towards the big known Operators like NQX and [ West-Trans from Toowoomba ] where the car could be put inside a Tautliner van and out of site, Best you go out Berima way to the where they are and see them and /or put a notice in the truck stop,Thats about all i can suggest ,...well let your fingers do the walking..Yellow Pages. Good Luck
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 158678

Reply By: nickoff - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 16:25

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 16:25
I work in the vehicle rental industry, and we truck cars quite often. Used to be a few dedicated car carriers, but now have all been gobbled up by Patricks. prices have gone up too. Ghan have a problem with heights of vehicles, and an 80 series won't make it, I think. We had to deliver a Pajero to them for someone else, and the only way it met the height requirments(to get under some bridges in SA) was to let the tyres down, after it was loaded. That would make unloading intresting.

Nick
AnswerID: 158717

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 17:11

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 17:11
Fly me up there, I'll drive it back :)
AnswerID: 158730

Follow Up By: Old Scalyback & denny - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 17:39

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 17:39
worth a try truckie

steve

lololol
FollowupID: 413229

Follow Up By: Kiwi Kia - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 06:35

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 06:35
Are you the guy that has the line - "Drive it like you stole it" :-)) ?

FollowupID: 413334

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 22:53

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 22:53
Nope, thats eric.
FollowupID: 413510

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 18:05

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 18:05
I and a couple of colleagues regularly do the Darwin-Adelaide-Darwin trip.

If it's about the right time we might be able to come to an arrangement - one trip in April and one in May currently planned.

Ciao for now
Andrew
(andrew@vividadventures.com.au)
AnswerID: 158737

Sponsored Links