Accommodation info on EO

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 16:26
ThreadID: 31440 Views:2484 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
David, I was just thinking as I flicked from Google, to Badgers, to Big 4 to Top Tourist and mnay other smaller sites looking at places to stay/camp that could it be possible to have one place to go to to look for info and advice.

EO is a perfect spot for something like this, that users can add/update places ie Lake Arglye Tourist Village and give their opinions of the place/facilities/costs etc. This could cover hotels, motels, caravan parks, National Parks, State Parks, camping sites etc.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Glenn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Atropos - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 16:37

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 16:37
hi Folks,

I have been look at this for some time now, whilst there are a number of websites that cover this on the net there is no site that covers caravan sites fully.

Badgers is good but I find the "automated" style of the reports hard to follow, a section of this website with "plain language" reviews would be a usefull thing.

If David would care to enable such an area I'll submit a couple of places that I have been to in the last 12 months...

regards
John
AnswerID: 158720

Reply By: RustyHelen - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 16:59

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 16:59
Badgers??? What is that?
Rusty
AnswerID: 158727

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 17:04

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 17:04
Hi Rusty,

It is a site that offers peoples opinions on Aussie Caravan Parks

Badgers

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 413220

Reply By: RustyHelen - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 22:13

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 22:13
Thanks.
Had never come across it but now it is bookmarked so I can come back and read the goodies.
Rusty
AnswerID: 158803

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:42

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:42
Glenn,

Public Holday in WA I am not meant to be in here but have a few mins to check up on the system.

We are currrently working on one such system. We are not limiting to caravan or camping however we are building a fully interactive places systems. We have 80 thousand places installed and we are in the backgroud writing som basic info and loading photo that we have in our library however this does not even scratch the surface of the system. We will need heaps of input from everyone to continue to build this system as we our selves have not ben to every place.

The Interactive functons will allow you to write stuff for each place in a similar fashion to the Road Conditions reports. However having said this my first pass of the project is to get it launched with the ability to allow updates from site users. I am going to launch places this week without any external update methods, then add exteranl updates, followed with Interactive feedback.

So it seems that this will be a perfect place to implement this database that you are suggesting - I guess for a place type of Caravan park or bush camp or whatever I could add a different set of fields to allow say a rating of the place etc.

Good suggestion see what happens when places is released and we can working towards the soution you are mentioning. As always all feedback and thoughts are very welcome.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 158865

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:08

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:08
Thanks David,

You really are doing a fine job. Soon there will only be one....hahahaha

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 413451

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:13

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:13
Glenn,

That is the idea - sort of.......

No really the new system is soooooo good - basic to start with but the possibilites are un-limited - I have been trying to geo-reference all the content on the system for years and now with the introduction of Places any time now I will have put in place a strong mechanism to make this a reality.

Your ideas are good on this as I had not thought of this application exactly as you have spelt it out however it easily fits into the model and seems like a really good idea - So it will be done in the near future - I must get phase one done this week for the newsletter and we will then start with these extensions.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 413456

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:17

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:17
woohoo!!! :)
FollowupID: 413457

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 22:20

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 22:20
Glenn,

An update - I have just added the ratings system to the Caravan park POI group in places - I also have one member of staff currently full time on Caravan park location entry so it will not be long before we have the data in place to support your reqest at least for caravan parks.

I will tonight or tomorrow add the feature displays for caravan parks which will show the features available at the caravan parks such as Dump point, pets allowed, bbq facilites, showers etc etc.

It is a big job but we will ge there, also the photo submissions system for places is getting very close and this will work on a pointplace credit system. I expect in the next week this will be turned on.

More as it happens.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 161032

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:56

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:56
Hi David,

Sounds like you are doing a great job. I was just thinking about this functionality as I read you post and it hit me as to what a massive job it is. Too bad you couldn't get the database from Camps Australia and load that all in, would save a lot of time. I really appreciate the work you are doing, as I am sure, others will be also.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 415900

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:24

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:24
That would be nice to be able to get the DB however I do not think that they would believe it was in their best interests. We areusing a numberof sources to build the initial baseline database. We should have a good percentage done this week. I will be doing a few more final things on the places system this week and we hope you guys will be able to interact and upload info in the next few days.

Take care.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 416371

Reply By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:32

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:32
Great stuff David. I'm sure the more interactive you make it , the more of the information we can put there ourselves which I'm sure many would enjoy doing.
AnswerID: 161660

Sponsored Links