Jackaroo Tents

Submitted: Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 13:55
ThreadID: 31475 Views:43230 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

I am looking at purchasing a tent and I do understand that in general with camping gear you get what you pay for, however, I am little short on coin at the moment but am in need of a tent.

So I was looking at KMart today and they have the 6 man Jackaroo dome tents on sale for about $150.

What do you guys think??

Does anyone have any experience with these tents or opnions??

You help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Zam
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Shane M (WA) - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 14:04

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 14:04
My experience with the Dome Tents is that they are quick to put up and in strong winds or heavy weather they are just as quick to come down.

Again just my experience others may differ.
AnswerID: 158882

Reply By: Scoey - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 15:38

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 15:38
Hey Zam,

Depends what you're after. I have an OzTrail (Which seems to be almost identical to my mates Jackaroo) 6 Man dome for short trips and an old Primus Canvas 6 man jobby for longer trips.

The dome is more compact, lighter, quicker to set up and put away, will keep you dry in reasonably cr*ppy weather and has lasted me quite a while. Downsides are, despite the 6 man tag, we fit 2 people plus luggage, uncomfortable in bad weather and I reckon it'll need replacing in a year or so (prolly 6 years use all up?).

The Primus is heavy and bulky to pack, and takes an age to set up and put away BUT it's fine in sh*thouse weather (a week in the mountains QLD/NSW border in torrential rain), comfortable, very solid, you could easily fit 6 people in it (I have had 6 people and a dog actually!) and it's about 400 years old and still going strong!

But like you said you get what you pay for - if you won't be put out doing whatever trip you're planing being in a $150 tent then it'll be fine!

Cheers
Scoey.
AnswerID: 158892

Follow Up By: Scoey - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 15:40

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 15:40
PS I meant to say that when we do our quick trips in the dome tent we usually pack the big tarp to cook and eat under. Not sure how my opnion would sound if I didn't have that! :-D
Good luck!
Scoey
FollowupID: 413408

Reply By: russ36 - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 17:39

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 17:39
i have an 800 dollar 2 man tent for trips to the nz alps in winter, and if i have anything cheaper i may die in poor weather. australia is rarely so serious but i still think its worth putting in some decent bucks because it can be a very long night in a cold wet sleeping bag with all your friends paying out on you..... and in times like that with another 6 hrs till sunshine , a tent even 4 times the price would have been a great idea
AnswerID: 158920

Reply By: Atropos - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 18:43

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 18:43
Hi Zam,

Where are you located?

If In Melbourne I have a large 3 room sportivo brand dome tent that's not doing anything, its just over two years old and in A1 nick..

Could be a little better than the jackeroo...
AnswerID: 158930

Reply By: gonebush SA - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:24

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:24
My son has got and had Jackaroo tents for years and has had the 6 man dome tent for about a year now and we can't say anything bad about them, he is totally pleased. we just went out and bought our daughter another dome tent and were thinking of a Jackaroo but we wanted something in between sizes so went to Aussie disposals and spent more money, she has used it once and the condensation inside was really annoying and the pole broke first time out. I only wish we had just gone to Kmart and got her a Jackaroo, we certainly will be next time.
AnswerID: 158942

Reply By: zam045 - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 08:37

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 08:37
Thanks a lot guys for you help, its much appreciated.

I think I will most likely end up getting the Jackaroo, I know it is cheap however, at this stage it is only going to be for the next 12 -24 mths until I can afford something a bit better, also most of the trip I do are about 4 nights so This should do me in the short term.

Thanks Atropos for the offer, I live in Melbourne as well, but seeing as it is just the missus and me which go away I think a 3 room Sportiva would be a little big, and probably out of the $150 - 200 price range which I am looking at.

But could be interested, do you any pics you could email me anthony.zambory@myob.com

Once again guys thatnks for your help.

Cheers

Zam
AnswerID: 159033

Follow Up By: Atropos - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:54

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:54
Hi Zam,

E-mail on the way to you...however optus's email servers are down at the moment.. so not quite sure when it will arrive...

regards
John
FollowupID: 413558

Sponsored Links