GPS mounting and keeping it there.

Submitted: Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:23
ThreadID: 31481 Views:2414 Replies:14 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I use an old GPS 310 to feed the lappy. It is mounted using a plastic bracket with a suction cup on the windscreen. ( A la Ebray ) The problem is that it can vibrate itself onto the floor on corregations. I've even thought about threading a bit of wire around an air vent...but I usually need all the air I can get :))
Can anyone recommend a way of holding the beasty so that it doesn't play dropsies? Not fun when you don't have a passenger to pick it up.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Terryfied - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:45

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:45
Footloose,I have previously mounted a gps a few times using silicone on the base of the gps and on the surface it needs to adhere to.I have never had a problem with this although for removal the silicone has to be scrapped off with a flat blade or similar.You could consider trying to mount the gps on the drivers side windscreen pillar so if required screws can be used.

Terry
AnswerID: 158948

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:52

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:52
If you're feeding the lappy then you don't need to see the GPS as all info can be displayed within Oziexplorer, that's what you use..right ?

Get one of those active inductive antennas, re-radiating they call them, you will receive a better signal and the gps can be chucked where ever you wish.
AnswerID: 158950

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 20:07

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 20:07
I've had the same trouble. Current solution is the wife has made a cloth pouch (bag) big enough to hold the GPS, but with the top inch or so exposed (antenna end). I hang it off the mirror bracket as high as I can get it so it is out of the way.

Simple and seems to work OK so far. Don't think it is big enough and in the way so it will attract the attention of the law.

My first thought was to glue some velcro to it and glue the other part of the velcro to the top of the dash. That would hold it, but as my 4B is still pretty new, I didn't want to glue something to the dash. Velcro is terrific stuff. If used it for lots of things in the 4B when it is out of the way.
AnswerID: 158951

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 22:41

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 22:41
you can get velcro with backing tape - works well for all manner of in-vehicle needs.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 413504

Reply By: Peter W - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 20:20

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 20:20
Hi Footloose,
I have an old Garmin GPS 12 and purchased a swivel mounting bracket for it mounted on top of the dash using heavy duty double sided velcro tape which you can get at most Stationery shops. Hasn't moved for over three years on some very bumpy tracks.
I note from the internet that the Magellan 310 also has a swivel bracket accessory but I don't know if you want to go to such expense.
In any event I can recommend the heavy duty velcro for staying power and easy fixing.
Cheers.
Peter W
"Life is not a Rehearsal"
AnswerID: 158953

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 20:44

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 20:44
I just use double sided tape and the cheapest flat ram mount and they never come loose
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 158957

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 20:46

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 20:46
Footy,

My $100 U beaut Magellan plastic rubbish bracket broke after one year of travel.

So I made a holding bracket out of MDF and velcroed it to my dash mat. The GPS has lived there for the last two yeasrs over the roughest terrain.

Let me have the measurements and I will make one for you, if you wish.

Cheers
AnswerID: 158958

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 21:10

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 21:10
I have not read through the other replies as yet but i have seen ppl useing these windscreen suction mounts as i do with one of mine but they had them suspended in outer space ,no support what ever, Now i know all GPS are not the same shape and as for those stupid upright Magellans @#^%**!.. I use a Garmin Quest ,stuck on the screen and it rests on the dash and does not move, Some of the truckies i work with got the Garmin 2610 with the silly little bag idea and they don't stay put in the trucks either.

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 158967

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 16:29

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 16:29
Doug,

Stupid upright Magellans???

One Magellan holder with the suction caps allows the GPS to "stick on the screen" and also has a flexible arm to position the GPS at any angle you like.

Another holder has a swivel base and positions the GPS at an angle (also adjustable) which is ideal when mounted on the centre console, etc.

So what are you on about Doug???

You are obviously a Garmin junkie, but don't try to justify your choice by unnecessarily slating the opposition's product without factual backing.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 413632

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 16:36

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 16:36
Hey sandman ,
you got tunnel vision or WHAT or didn't you want to see what i said about the Garmin

quote:
the truckies i work with got the Garmin 2610 with the silly little bag idea and they don't stay put in the trucks either
Also this is a freedom of speech country....for Aussies
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 413634

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 21:16

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 21:16
Mr Loose ,
If you are using a dash mat it is easy to put a plate under it and mount brackets through the mat into the plate beneath . I stole a big thin white nylon cutting board from the kitchen and it works well - I have my big Magellan , a speaker and a light mounted on the board and nothing moves .
Cheers ,
Willie .
AnswerID: 158970

Reply By: SA_Patrol - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 21:24

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 21:24
I've got a Ram mount type suction that holds up my Streetpilot3 with no problems. I also rest it on the dash. I brought mine from Cartographics in Unley rd Unley Adelaide,
http://www.cartographics.com.au/home/index.php

Ph 08 8357 1777

ask for Alex not sure where he gets them from, he can sell you one The suction cap is about $45 and then you need the ram extension piece not sure how much is that, all up I think it's about $80 . You will never have a problem again.
AnswerID: 158974

Reply By: Michael Carey - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 07:49

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 07:49
While it shows my IC-400PRO being installed, this gallery also shows the bracket I made to hold my Garmin GPSMAP60CS secure in my Hilux.
I used a small piece of aluminium fixed to the dash with countersunk 4mm bolts, washers and nyloc nuts. The Garmin bracket is fixed to the aluminium using the supplied double sided adhesive pad. I also modified the Garmin bracket with a small bracket made of aluminium to increase it's strength. You can also see how I ran the cables into the dash, all holes are in places that aren't too visible. I ran a cable for an external antenna, but the GPS seems to work OK looking through the front window. The other plus is that the air ducts keep the unit cool on those hot, sunny days!!
Take a look here :-

Gallery
AnswerID: 159028

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 08:01

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 08:01
you cant go past RAM mounts.. do a google search for RAM mounts and you will have too many options to choose from
FollowupID: 413539

Reply By: arthurking83 - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 08:40

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 08:40
My favourite method for holding those windscreen mounted-suction cup based GPS holders ....use some blue-tack! Actually the "Yellow-Tack" version is better!!

I had used it to mount the external antenna to the roof of the Rangie without any problems (only used this yellowtack stuff to stick the bracket to the roof, and the antenna screwed onto the bracket...it was a Lowrance GPS)

This stuff has never failed to hold onto anything once it has been 'worked' properly!
And to work it properly all you do is mash it your fingers a few times, till it feels sticky!

I've had this working for me for the last 10(odd) years....100's of 1000's of klms later......in 40degree heat..direct sunlight and 70+degree dashboard temps!
(I think only once has it fallen???)

The suction mount holds onto the windscreen and the bottom edge of the bracket has a small stip of 'yellow-tack' (actually I think it's called U-Tack, by UHU).
This rests the weight of the GPS on the dash, and the yellow tack stops the dash getting scuffed and it provides a small amount of vibration absorbtion!

You find this UHU U-tack in any office supplies/newsagent type store.
AnswerID: 159035

Reply By: Banjo - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:43

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:43
With my 320 before it was stolen I got inventive with an old wire coat hanger. Bent it to form a stand that secured the GPS and had it free standing on the Troopy's dash, which sloped back. May not work on a forward sloping dash though.

Banjo (WA)
AnswerID: 159053

Reply By: ro-dah-o (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 11:19

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 11:19
I went to that discount auto market that everyone loves and brought one of the $3 universal mobile phone holders. Had a small peice of angle that I monted it to and used one of the existing screws near the top of the console. It is positioned in the centre of the dash and is rotated towards the driver. Has worked a treat and has only let me down once.
AnswerID: 159061

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 11:35

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 11:35
First of all many thanks to all that offered suggestions. We have a multiplicity of holding devices out there ! Not wanting to screw things into the dash, and have tried the double sided tape but no go. Also messy to remove.
Willem, thanks for the offer but I suspect that you're busy enough.
I rather liked the idea of the gooey stuff that you spread around the mounting/screen (yellow ? don't they have a differnt colour ?) because it utilizes existing expenditure (cheapskate footy again).
I'll give a few ideas a go. The difficulty is that the corregations that are liable to kill my holder are around 2000k away :))
Thanks to all
Cheers
AnswerID: 159065

Sponsored Links