It pays to check

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 11:51
ThreadID: 31540 Views:2110 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
About to travel home after the long weekend (a 750km trip) i decided to pop the bonnet for a once over while at the servo.

Lo and behold one of the batteries had lost its clamp down and could shake around freely. Must have been from some beach driving i had done.

Was a lucky find as the last 100kms to get home is on washed out gravel and unsealed roads (Murchison region WA) and I have previously rendered a car useless from having a battery restrained break and shorting everything out.

The worst thing tho...is that the universal battery hold down kits dont suit my imported GQ as one of the rods that holds it down needs to be longer than the other.

Guess it pays to keep an eye on stuff

Travel Safe

Rev

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John C (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 11:55

Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 11:55
Sorry to hear about your battery clamp, have you had any other issues with your Safari?
John
AnswerID: 159299

Follow Up By: revhead307 - Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 12:13

Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 12:13
Hi John,

Mine is the spitting image of yours, bar my roofrack
Just the usual Safari issues:

1) Disabled the 105Km/hr speed chime (back of instrument cluster)
2) sorted out how to run high voltage 12V accessories like good stereo & compressor from the 24V system (some info on this in the archives). Personally i have a 3rd batt (AGM) in rear as an auxillary charged via a 30A GSL 24 - 12V Battery Charger
3) wired up a redarc 10A trailer reducer to run my trailer/van etc

Have only owned for 9 months (20,000Kms) and am very happy with it. Had a regular GQ for 5 years prior which was reliable, only replaced water pump, and clutch failed around 320,000Kms.

Regards
Rev

FollowupID: 413859

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 23:41

Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 23:41
As part of my training when travelling on dirt roads I do a pre departurecheck every morning. I use the word POWER as an acronym. When in town I do a check every time I get fuel.
P...Petrol or deisel make sure you have enough with a safety margin, filter.
O..Oil, engine. Gearbox, diffs and tranfer case if you have been thru water, brake fluid, clutch fluid, power steering.
W...Water, coolant, radiator, belts, hoses, windscreen washers, drinking water.
E... Electrics, battery security, terminals, fuses, lights, indicators etc.
R....Rubber, tyres, pressure, condition, foreign objects, check exhaust and shocks.
Better to find things before they become a problem. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 159428

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 02:23

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 02:23
for whatever reason battery clamps are extremely likely to undo themselves and need at least 1 and preferably 2 additional locknuts
AnswerID: 159434

Sponsored Links