Urgently needed advice - problems with my 1978 FJ40 SWB LC

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 10:22
ThreadID: 31565 Views:2047 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone!

I've been a visitor to this site ever since buying a restored FJ40 a few years back. The gentleman I purchased the vehicle from was an active user of the site and no doubt had correspondence with many of you FJ40 owners out there.

Correspondence between a few of you got me out of trouble with a problem I had busting seals between the gearbox/transfer case - amazing what little hose between the two can do..........

She really is a beauty! duel fuel LPG/Pet, new and reconditioned eveything more or less...........

However, deep down I new it was only a matter of time before the gear box and/or transfer case would require a little attention...........I was hoping it would occur at least another year from now when I had finished my postgraduate studies at uni so that I could afford to fix it.........Alas the gearbox and transfer case is presently in pieces on a work bench looking worse for wear.........

I am in complete deliberation...............I dont want to part with her but cant afford to have the gearbox/transfer case and after a little more inspection the diff fixed all up about 3 and 1/2 .......................Cant do the job myself ............I'm OK with the little stuff but this extends beyond my limited abilities.

The guy I purchased this from would cringe if he read this but what kind of price would I be looking at if I tried to get rid of her as is. As mentioned the rest of her is in top condition - body is good with very little to no rust, the motor essentially re-built, imaculate interior - gas conversion etc............if I was to go on I would talk myself out of even considering parting with her....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Poor postgraduate

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nav 8 - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 11:42

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 11:42
Gday Andrew,,,You sure have got a problem mate, I take it that means $3,500 for repairs. Considering the age of the vehicle I would say that is about what you would get as a trade from a dealer in going condition. Even then you would have to spend more than $3,500 to get into somthing else. I would sugest you have a hunt around for a second hand gearbox and diff but the age of the vehicle is a problem in this regard also and there are not many left in wreckers yards. Have a ring around the yards anyway you never know, wrecking yards in the country may be your best bet as they tend to have more older stuff lying around.
Best of luck,,, Nav.
AnswerID: 159463

Follow Up By: Andrew FJ40 - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 16:10

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 16:10
Hey Nav,

Thanks for your quick reply....................I decided to just fix the gearbox/transfer case in the end. Set me back around $2 300. I will eventually have to look at the diff, but am thinking of puting her on the market prior to that as its not an immediate problem.

Youre right about looking around for a cheap 2nd hand gearbox and I could have gotten something cheaper from vic or QLd but when I added up transpotation costs in didnt really work out too much better...

So...........after a loan and some work on the old beast I'm pretty confident on being able to get my money back............

So hard to part with her though so am still in deliberation

Thanks again Nav

Andrew
FollowupID: 414574

Reply By: Darryn - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 12:24

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 12:24
Hi Andrew, I don't know where you are but if you are in Victoria I have a complete G/Box T/fer case for your truck. It has been sitting in a shed for a while but was ok when last in a vehicle. What exactly is involved in the quote you have for $3,500.00 as it seems high? There's also a bellhousing to fit Holden 308/253 to this model box if you ever want some more go! I If can help I am In East Gippsland.
Regd's Darryn
AnswerID: 159476

Follow Up By: Andrew FJ40 - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 16:18

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 16:18
Hi Darryn,

Thanks for your reply..................

I had to make the decision pretty quickly so in the end decided to borrow and fork out the $2300 to get the gearbox/trnsfer case done.............. and deal with the diff issues a little latter on, if I dont sell it before hand

I'm in wollongong at the moment but probably could have organised to purchase that gearbox from you and saved a bit of $$ but..............just about to relocate so need wheels fast.

If divine intervention kicks in at some point this year I'll certainly keep in mind the 308/253

Thanks again Darryn

Regards

Andrew

FollowupID: 414577

Reply By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 07:43

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 07:43
What sort of money would you be happy with to get rid of it?

I've got a bit of room in the shed for a project.
AnswerID: 159645

Follow Up By: Andrew FJ40 - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 16:23

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 16:23
Hi Tony,

I thought it more likely to get something more substantial for it with a working gearbox so took a loan and forked out the $2300 to have the work done...............

However I am still thinking of letting her go (the straw that broke the poor postgrad's back this time I think) and would certianly prefer to see her go somewhere where she could continue to be restored.

Will keep you posted if you like

Cheers

Andrew
FollowupID: 414578

Sponsored Links