Winches

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 14:06
ThreadID: 3157 Views:1363 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks for all of the info on hand winches. Sounds like Turfor is the go.
I'll give the one at Marlows a miss.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: LkPatrol - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 20:10

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 20:10
noknok,

Did you check out the Big Haul hand winch ? I bought mine from Don Kyatt 4WD in Melbourne for about $390. I've used it several times and found it to be excellent - also very simple to open up for cleaning / lubrication etc, and supposedly a bit easier to operate than Tirfor and similar. Don't disregard as being of lower quality, as it seems a very robust unit.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Les
AnswerID: 12197

Follow Up By: Bonz - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 23:38

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 23:38
I agree, bought a Big Haul after recommendation from a 4wd training friend and its great, faster than a tirfor and lighter but stronger. great unit and excellent price
FollowupID: 7345

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 11:59

Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 11:59
Hi Noknok,

Just a tip...we've had a Tuff Pull for 5 years or so. It is an excellent unit BUT a few weeks ago we got it out of the shed for the first time in a couple of years and found it had partially siezed. Thing is, we've always cleaned and lubricated it after every trip so it was put away in good order. Anyway, we pulled it apart, lubricated it etc and it's working like a charm now. But, from now on if it is awhile between uses, we will be sure to move all the levers every now and again.

Also, we usually do an equipment check before leaving home so it was lucky we discovered the problem before we needed to use it in a recovery situation.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 12252

Sponsored Links