Roachie - Questions

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 18:35
ThreadID: 31585 Views:1806 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Roachie,
I have done some serious searching through the archives and have read and paid close attension to your mods you have been doing on the Patrol.
I noticed you had your turbo upgraded in Oct 05,
Q1. Are you happy with the grunt the old girl is giving you, after the upgrade.

I also noticed you have fitted a PWR radiator to the old girl
Q2. Has this helped in keeping the temps down.

Im asking as I have just fitted a 3" exhaust system and had the turbo upgraded to stage1 with the dump pipe. I can not get the fuel pump mods done just yet as Im some 14hrs away from the big smoke. I plan to have this done in April when i get leave.
I did notice some improvement with just the 3" exhaust system and dump pipe but I want just a little more, towing the CT the old girl does struggle a little.
Anyway just wondering if you are happy with your vehicle after the upgrade.

Thanks
The Boy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 06:30

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 06:30
I came here to read the reply and follow ups and they are not here????? What gives??
AnswerID: 159641

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 08:04

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 08:04
holidays?...lol lol nab give em to anyone
FollowupID: 414268

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 08:13

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 08:13
Brew69,

I was thinking the same thing last night. Could it have something to do with Post 31600 ???
FollowupID: 414269

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 08:27

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 08:27
Good morning blokes,
Sorry for the delay in responding, I didn't notice this post when I checked in to EO last night.
1. The new Denco Turbo kit is a ripper. It spools up much more readily and has adjustable boost (which the OE Nissan unit did not have). Basically, this equates to more grunt in the mid range (where you need it most in my opinion), of around 1800 to 2500 rpm. I had previously had a 3" exhaust fitted with a free-flowing Lukey hotdog muffler only (no resonator at the back end) and that appeared to assist with low-down acceleration away from idle.
I did consider getting the original turbo bored out and bigger wheels installed (like Ron Moon had done to his in 4x4 Aust magazine), but I have never been in favour of that type of thing as I reckon it would have to weaken the overall component.

2. The PWR radiator is a beauty. I do believe it has largely cured my over-warming issues for the most part. I did the instal myself and I found it impossible to re-install the Nissan shroud, as the radiator sits about 25mm closer to the engine. I now wish I'd persevered with it a lot more rather than doing what I actually did.........which was to cut the shroud horizontally about 4" down from the top and re-install the top section. I only did that to protect fingers from being mangled by the fan blades. Accordingly, I don't believe I'm getting the best possible cooling effect out of the radiator as the fan is not as effective as it should be. To counter this a little, I have added a Davies Craig fan to the front of the radiator/condenser. I recently upgraded that fan from a 10" to a 14". That sits on the driver's side and then there is the OE fan for the air con which is on the passenger's side and comes on if the coolant temp gets too high. I would strongly suggest that if you do get the PWR, you either get it fitted professionally or at least make sure you re-fit the shroud. I do still have the lower section and am trying to work out a way to put it in.

My Patrol is going great at the moment (touch wood) and I'm very pleased with the mods that I've done.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 159650

Sponsored Links