Terrano over-heating

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 16:41
ThreadID: 3159 Views:1659 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm a newby so be gentle.
I have a '92 grey import Terrano that always runs hot and seems to get too hot too quickly, especially on steep climbs up in the bush.
Has anyone found a way to make the Terrano TD27 run cooler?
I've been through the whole cooling system rigmarole and the head isn't cracked etc etc. The fan is OK etc etc. The radiator is in good condition etc etc. I've replaced the thermostat with a genuine one etc etc.
I did hear that some guys have replaced the 2-core radiator with a 3-core one (about $500). Does this work?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Matt M - Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 23:13

Thursday, Jan 30, 2003 at 23:13
Oskar,

There are a few other things to check before you start upgrading the cooling system! If the system has been checked top to bottom (radiator blockage % checked) then you have to make sure the engine is running at its optimum, ie tuned!!
You need to check things like, injector timing, injector condition, tappet adjustment, phase and callibrate pump maybe? All can effect the engine performance and make it run hotter due to the increased load from running poorly! You will need a good diesel mechanic to check it over before ruling that out as the reason for the overheating!

Goodluck, Im doing the same with my Isuzu 3.1 TD at the moment!
AnswerID: 12222

Reply By: Pj - Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 14:54

Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 14:54
Oskar,
You've probably already done this, but just in case you haven't - have a look between the radiator and the air con evap unit. i recently did a trip from Adelaide to sydney in my 94 Terrano, and the amount of debris and dead bugs I cleaned out was incredible. I noticed by the time I reached sydney, the vehicle was running a little hotter, and on one steep climb, the gauge climbed alarmingly. Since cleaning everything out, the old girl has kept her cool, even on the hottest days.
This may not be the only answer, but it is a start. Good Luck.
AnswerID: 12260

Sponsored Links