Spotlights/lighting upgrades

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 15, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 316 Views:2563 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'd like to hear from anyone who has done a significant (more than alternate std wattage globes) headlight upgrade or spotlight fit to a current model Jackaroo. It has been suggested that I look at a set of quality spotlights & loom, as playing around with the OE headlights can cost thousands to fix if you stuff it up. Any recommendations?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Monday, Jul 16, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 16, 2001 at 00:00
Mike,

I have fitted higher wattage globes and a pair of Nane driving lights to my Pajero and I followed some advice that seems to be both reasonable and practical.

Basically, the wiring in standard trucks is pretty thin and cheap gear and is not recommended to carry the extra loads that higher wattage lighting imposes. I bought two looms that were Pirahna branded items. One to replace the existing wiring loom for the lights and one to use for the driving lights. They come with all the necessary relays and are supposed to be a significant improvement over the stock wiring loom when it comes to considering power transmission losses.

They also don't melt under the loads!

They are not going to break the bank (I think mine cost me about $80 for the two, but that was a few years ago) but the peace of mind is worth it.

Installation is a simple plug in affair.

Recommended.

Joe
AnswerID: 767

Reply By: steve - Monday, Jul 30, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 30, 2001 at 00:00
Mike, it depends on the main use of your lights, if you mainly drive around town at night i would recomend a good quality driving light kit which consists of a spot and a driving light ie IPF.
therefore you dont go blinding everone, i had the aftermarket lights done and even with them adjusted down i constantly had people flash me at night when i was in town, so my advice would be to buy a good qaulity set of spotties which come with a loom and are generally quick and simple to fit. but if you do spend a lot of time out of town any of the big aftermarket suppliers will be able to discuss your requirements with you, hope this helps
steve
AnswerID: 810

Reply By: Geoff- Saturday, Aug 18, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 18, 2001 at 00:00
Hi mike,
I have a current jackaroo and had fitted a pair of cb Oscar driving lights for around $300. One light is a spreader and the other a spot. These lights are great. I had the lights and wiring done by the dealer.
AnswerID: 926

Follow Up By: Mike - Sunday, Aug 19, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Aug 19, 2001 at 00:00
Hey Geoff
Thanks 4 yr reply. What wattage? Does it operate from the high beam stalk or other switch? I presume you've used some sort of superloom.
Regds, Mike
FollowupID: 265

Sponsored Links