Towing

Submitted: Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 08:48
ThreadID: 31605 Views:2803 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

When I win the lotto (Grin) I would like to buy a large caravan.

What would you suggest using to tow a large van , assuming we are "on road"

For example is the prado ok for this or should I go for the sahara , or is it a better idea to go for a large v8 car.

I'm not likely to go off road very much at all, but I feel that the general "toughness" of a large FWD would provide security in some of the more remote places.

So just for towing on the highway what do you suggest?

Regards
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:11

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:11
I'd go for a 4WD every time. Apart from their generally superior towing/load carrying ability you sit much higher in a 4WD and get a better view of the scenery, and isn't that why you're travelling in the first place?

Any medium to large 4B (Jackeroo, Pajero, Prado, LandCruiser, Patrol, Terracan etc) will do the trick. Look at the towing specs of the individual vehicles. Just cause they're bigger doesn't necessarily mean they'll tow more.

Also, if towing is your main purpose, a diesel will give you much better fuel economy than a petrol engine.
AnswerID: 159655

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:20

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:20
John

The light truck is worth a look to tow a large van. Excellent towing capacity and weight carrying capacity. Diesel economy. Roomy interiors. Small size allows easy parking and driving.

Twin cab versions allow vast interior room. The trucking industry is seriously into moding vehicles (exterior and interior).

As an example have a look at the Izuz Trucks Look at the N series. Also Hino and Mitsubishi (Google them using Australian sites)

New models offer auto and semi auto transmissions with good power and torque.

Tough robust with SRS airbags, Traction control, Hill start assist, ABS. In my opinion well worth a look for towing large vans.

Mods will be needed to get good comfort. Mainly aftermarket seats. At the moment air suspension does not appear to be offered on the smaller trucks (soon I feel).

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 159660

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:39

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:39
The important thing is to know what weight the van is towball load is and what the maximum towing capacity and maximum towball downforce is on the vehicles you are looking at. Then you can quickly get rid of those vehicles that are either under the ratings or borderline.

From the culled list choose whether you want diesel or petrol or petrol/gas.

The big thing is if you tow with a V8 sedan you have all the power but the weight of the towing vehicle is low 1.6 to 1.7 tonnes With a larger 4WD like Nissan or Toyota you have something that weighs near 2.5 tonne and will closely match the weight of a "Large Van" it will have tyres that are well in excess of the load capacity required.

Good luck

AnswerID: 159664

Reply By: camship - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:44

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:44
Whatever you buy, analyse the figures;
ie. Torque range from what revs to what revs (the lower to higher the better) Determines how easily the vehicle will tow.
Power to weight ratio, determines the ability to overtake, and accelerate when you need to.
Fuel economy obviously. But the torque wilol largley determine the fuel economy when towing anyway, depending on weight and aero dynamics.

... or you could just ask someone from there experience.
AnswerID: 159665

Reply By: Browser - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:09

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:09
Hi Atropos,

If you win the lotto and are looking for a tow vehicle I don't think that you can go past the Ford F250, 7.3 litre V8 Turbo Diesel. Fuel and running costs wont be a problem due to the lucky lotto win and the vehicle will tow almost anything with a towing capacity of 4,500kg's according to the Ford website.

regards,

Browser
AnswerID: 159668

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:59

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:59
Second that.

PS

If you should win Tatts then you can buy whatever you like.

Matter of fact a Ford 650 would be a better option as it would cover anything ever likley to be built in Australia that would fit on Australian roads and would be the attraction everywher you went.
FollowupID: 414305

Follow Up By: Browser - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 11:49

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 11:49
Lucy,

I think that the F650 might be a bit of a tad over the top!!!

Ford F650

Browser
FollowupID: 414311

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:29

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:29
Towball height might be a problem ;-)
FollowupID: 414321

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 13:12

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 13:12
Not if you have won tattslotto - do anything you want
FollowupID: 414335

Reply By: pojo - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 21:05

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 21:05
If you win the lotto why worry about buying a car or 4wheel drive just fly where you want to go then get someelse to take you where you want to go proberly work out a lot cheaper and give you more time to see other places want to see or be like the rest off us and keep dreaming
AnswerID: 159980

Sponsored Links