To join a club or not to join

Submitted: Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:25
ThreadID: 31607 Views:2331 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Wanting to know if it is worth joining a 4wd club or not. Our friends run one where we live but go out with them anyway! Also we have a possibility of moving to Yass and wondering if there are any clubs out that way.

I know it helps for insurance and things like that if your apart of a club, eg. couldnt take our car over the lumps at Kembla Grange because we didnt belong to club.

Also before the gates were open at Yalwal if you were in a club you could get the keys, but now its all open....

how many people out there arent apart of a club???

Laura B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:34

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:34
Laura B,

Like you, we've thought about joining but have'nt done anything about it yet. Can't see where we could fit it in and participate fully unfortunately :((((

Good idea if you've got the time though.

Regards
AnswerID: 159663

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:58

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:58
We got a bit of time because Hubby has 4 days off a week because of how his night shift works out.

But our problem is i think that we want to have fun. We used to do Blackwood fire trail,dusty and roll back tracks all the time out at Yalwal...if anyone doesnt know them theyre designed to do damage! (our cheapest weekend was $9000 between 4 4wd!! and 13hrs to do 4km because of so much damage being done) - first attempt was an engine mount going kaput)

we want to have fun and not rol the car like we use to do, got kids and dont want to hurt them!! so we want a club that is not so dangerous!

Our friends have changed too but still have a comp truck and want to test it to its limits!

Laura B
FollowupID: 414286

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:07

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:07
Hahahaha I think you're a wee bit more adventurous than us. Getting a bit old ( and tight arsed $$$$$ ) for that sort of thing but I can understand the 'fun' part of it :))))

Good luck.

FollowupID: 414289

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:35

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:35
Laura I would suggest that most clubs are not as hard core as you describe above.

Most clubs are oriented towards touring and 4wdriving with the family in mind. (Some may have a small group of hard core within its ranks)

Go and visit a few on their meeting nights and speak to them about the activities that the club does and get a copy of their newsletter or do a web search for the area in which your interested in, EG Sydney Toyota Landcrusier Club etc.

My club here in Melb is a fabulous group of people who run stacks of great trips, own their own property that is purpose built for 4wd training.
I have met and made many new friendships and personally get a lot out of the club. But thats me.

I know that a couple of other Melb clubs are also well set up with similar facilities.
So just do some research and see what suits.

With any club 4wd or other you will only get out what you are prepared to put in.

Cheers

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 414295

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:53

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:53
yeah to much damage done in the past!!me scared-ee-cat....nearly rolled the old zook going over a tree root at the top of a pyramid!!a case of rums couldnt even get me over something like that again!!!

very true - we put lots into everything we do so we;d hadve a ball!!! will ring friends and give it a go i spose!

Laura B
FollowupID: 414300

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:58

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:58
Just for the hell of it why not look at a few other clubs also.
My be a good importunity to expand your network of friends with a few new ones.

I know that the Sydney Toyota Landcrusier Club is an excellent group very well run and you would possibly find benefit of being with other 80 series owners.
I even know a few people who are members of several clubs, its all up to you.

Cheers
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 414304

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:30

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:30
Hi Laura,

we don't belong to a 4wdclub,at least at the moment, [we belong to another car club not 4wd related] we manage to go out with friends for a lot of weekends throughout the year who have loads of experience and we all have the required gear too. I won't rule out being part of a club but at the moment we manage to enjoy ourselves without one.

cheers

Lyn
AnswerID: 159672

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:40

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:40
oi
email me glens mobile # will ya
fu_kew
@
hotmail
com
FollowupID: 414298

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:44

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:44
ok
FollowupID: 414299

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:55

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:55
Hi Lyn,

we have fun too by ourselves, but it is nice going out with people who have kids too.....Cannt remember are you the Lyn that told me about "Earth Choice" washing powder????if so its going great guns!!

Laura B
FollowupID: 414302

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 11:10

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 11:10
Hi Laura,

we're lucky all our 4wd friends have kids, and the one's who don't adopt our kids for the weekend..hahah...and yes twas me that told you about Earth Choice, glad it's going well for you.

Lyn
FollowupID: 414307

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 13:05

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 13:05
My view is that it is well worth being in a Club. I am with the Gold Coast Club and we have members ranging from hard core competition (some very successful) through to those interested in scenic touring; and lots (most) in between.

Most week-ends there are organised club trips that are graded easy through to hard.

We do at least 2 trips a month with the club and only do the easy and medium trips. Several week-end trips as well. For example we expect about 30 vehicles to go on the Club Easter camping trip.

Benefits include: Great place to learn about effective and safe 4WDing (our club runs a full day 'Driver Awareness Course' for new members. Meet lots of people with similar interests, make new friends. Learn about local places to go that you might otherwise not learn. Get access to some tracks that you otherwise might not. And lots more.

Clearly some clubs will be better than others, but I suspect most clubs are pretty good.

My vote is to join, then get involved in the running of the club. Give it a try at least. Doesn't cost much and if you don't like it, don't renew.

AnswerID: 159699

Reply By: hoyks - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 14:23

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 14:23
I am part of a club, mainly for the insurance and to help preserve access to areas that might be lost to us in the future if we do nothing.
My club isn't into hard core tracks but rather touring and camping (pcoa.org.au). Not a bad bunch spread over the East coast of Aus.
AnswerID: 159714

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 14:47

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 14:47
if members are spread over east coast,how many members are there and how do planning trips go?? my friends club that i mentioned is a very little one with about 10 members.
Laura B
FollowupID: 414357

Follow Up By: hoyks - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 15:05

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 15:05
We have about 30 members spread about 60/40 in SE Queensland and Sydney/Central Coast as well as a reciently moved pair of members in Perth.
Our club has it's own forum where we organise trip and have most of our club meetings, as well as providing help and technical information for Pathfinder owners.
Pathfinders club of Australia
FollowupID: 414360

Reply By: Moose - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 14:30

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 14:30
Hi Laura
For the few $s that it costs to be a member I dare say you could have saved $'000s in damage just by learing how to tackle terrain correctly. Give it a go and if you don't like it leave or find one you do like. As already stated do your homework first and I'm sure there's one out there that suits your intended driving style. Just rock up to a meeting - you'll soon work out which one/e suit you.
Incidentally why ask for those not in clubs - wouldn't those in be in a better position to comment?
Cheers from the Moose.
AnswerID: 159715

Follow Up By: Laura B - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 14:46

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 14:46
it just seems that everyone i talk to these days is in a club!silly question demands a silly answer i gues!!LOL!!

Cheers Mooseymoose (new name from my daughter!)

Laura B
FollowupID: 414356

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 18:44

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 18:44
Hi Laura....

Another vote for joining a club!!!!

We're with the Gold Coast Club as well... (Like Norm C above!) way back when we bought our truck, I wasn't keen to join at all.... but then I went to a meeting and the bug bit!!!!!

Hard!!!

I recommend joining a club, there are many many benefits, and like Norm said, if you can and want to, try to get involved.... even just leading a few trips, our motto is you get out what you put in!!

As for finding a club, try this web site and on the left menu there is a button for club locations....... there should be a club in your area!

Happy 4wd'ing!!!

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 159760

Reply By: Pud & Barb - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 19:37

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 19:37
Hi Laura,
We have just moved from Yass to Goulburn. I sent for an application form today from the nissan patrol club for NSW/ACT. Apparently they are pretty good and, as a bonus to us living in Goulburn they have I think from memory, 94 hectares around here somewhere for members to use.
Am just reading today's entries and am going to join hubby and myself up as EO members. Thanks.
Barb.
PS Where are you living now?
AnswerID: 159778

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 06:51

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 06:51
Nowra - just down the hills from you! Nathan has applied for a job with the council so who knows if we'll move or not!!

Laura
FollowupID: 414827

Reply By: Russ - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 21:42

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 21:42
Laura,
As you may have gathered by now it is an individual thing.
We (over 50, kids off our hands) were invited into an unregistered group. Wasnt long b4 I new more than most.

I now consider that I have a reasonable knowledge and know when to say no.

However; what we learnt from this group, they were a tight nit mob, no rules, and there was a lot of internal back stabbing and hidden conflict.

Dont tell me this does not happen with other groups either.

NOW, we do our thing with a small group of friends, no pressure, we all enjoy each others company (important) and have a fantastic time.

We also take some CALCULATED risks, but enjoy it.

"Pickle"
AnswerID: 159810

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 06:55

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 06:55
we went a few times with people like that first "club" of yours, having affairs with each others wifes and hubbies - kinda put me off!!

We also class ourselves pretty knowledgable when it comes to 4wd and take out people that we know that have never been before and its great.....

thanks Pickle!!

Laura B
FollowupID: 414828

Reply By: Richard - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 10:42

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 10:42
I'm a member of two clubs.
One based in Sydney run along normal club lines. The other a national club with communication primarily on line. Trips in various states are organised on line.
Did a few Tag Alongs before joining a club and getting involved in the 4WD movement.
I have learn't heaps made many good friends.
Comments on clubs have been fairly well covered above.
AnswerID: 160198

Sponsored Links