4wding in Denmark WA

Submitted: Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 18:37
ThreadID: 31628 Views:10688 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all!!! I am going down to Denmark in WA in a couple of weeks and was wandering if any one had done much 4wding down there. Just wandering what the beaches are like to drive on and is it fairly easy 4wding????
Any help apreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 19:23

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 19:23
Access all along the coast at point’s, beaches goes from soft to hard and access changes depending on the season and tides. During winter some of the tracks out to the beach can have a fair bit of water on them.

Some of the access down to the beach can be steep, well sort of and if you get to the bottom and the beach access it’s washed out, trying to reverse back up the sandy hill could be interesting, Came across a patrol in such a situation last winter, he seemed confident and was fishing away happily, was glade I walked it first as getting onto the beach was not possible.

Peaceful bay has a few access points scatted around the town, 1. Soft beach, as it’s soft LOL, 2. Rams Head Road, 3. River mouth access by driving up the beach where the boats are launched from and 2 others I cant remember the name of, all are 4WD only.
AnswerID: 159776

Follow Up By: corny - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 19:36

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 19:36
Cheers So going down after summer should mean the beaches should be a little better but will get out and walk if unsure as still fairly new to 4wding
FollowupID: 414419

Follow Up By: Exploder - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 19:49

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 19:49
Always the best bet, 4Wding is fun until you need to get yourself un-bogged.
FollowupID: 414425

Follow Up By: A.J - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 20:09

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 20:09
Isn't getting bogged part of the fun too? I always enjoy watching SWMBO getting dirty! LOL
FollowupID: 414432

Reply By: disco driver - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 20:39

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 20:39
Hi Corny
Most tracks down here only lead to fishing spots rather than continuous tracks through the area
Parry's beach & tracks around Peaceful Bay give some beach access but beach can be soft at times. Both may be used for commercial fishing purposes at times (Salmon netting) but access is still possible with care.
Track from Parry Beach Rd to Eagles Nest is best not attempted solo ( Long walk out if things go pearshaped- there is no mobile coverage in the area and UHF reception can be poor) Some of this track has been laid with conveyor belting (the very steep bits) and is a single lane track in and out
West Cape Howe NP has reasonable tracks but most do not give beach access for vehicles
The track to Back Beach(off Ocean Beach Rd) can be a challenging drive with some 300 odd stairs from the car park to the beach
Others to try are Dunsky Beach, Mutton bird, Salmon Hole (These are between Albany & Denmark)
CALM Offices in Albany & Walpole may have maps of tracks in the area (There is no CALM office in Denmark)

Good Luck
AnswerID: 159796

Reply By: V8Diesel - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 08:38

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 08:38
A fair bit of the coastal 'scratchy scratchty scrub' too if you're worried about paint.
AnswerID: 159870

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 11:51

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 11:51
This may be of some use to you

4WD Days on the South Coast of Western Australia

No idea what tracks it details but it does cover the area

also have a look here

a href="http://www.bushtrax.com/">Bushtrax

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 159892

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 12:34

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 12:34
that was of course ..
Bushtrax
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 414546

Reply By: blown4by - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 14:12

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 14:12
I was down there Feb 04 to 18 and have been going there for about 15 years. Back Beach is a good short drive & I found it easy with tyres dropped to 20psi. You take the first TR past the Ocean Beach Caravan Park. As always watch out for oncoming traffic as there is only one short one way section and some of the locals that are more experienced with the track can be in a bit of a hurry to check out the surf. Some of the local tradies check out the surf there before work & then make a decision whether to go to work or not:-) The channel between Ocean Beach and Wilson Inlet was open when I was there but looked like it would probably close pretty soon as it was getting silted up. If the bar is closed the Shire usually put some culvert pipes and cover the short section (about 15m) of channel you need to cross with sand so you don't have to drive through salt water (bad news!!!). If this is the case when you get there you can drive on the beach all the way around to where the rocks come on to the beach at Anvil Beach and The Aquarium is worth a look at low tide. A drive out to Boat Harbour is worthwhile and is easy 4WDing with some good views and a permanent barby on the beach. If you go out to Long Point which is the same turnoff as to Mandalay Beach just past Walpole you will be rewarded with some good 4WDing and views. The steep hills are either planked or covered with conveyor belting and there is a compressor available at the rangers house at the start of the track so you can re-inflate quickly. The track out there also goes to Lost Beach, Little Long Point and Hush Hush. Have fun, I know I did.
At the risk of a pasting (diligaf) I find a good coating of polish before driving narrow tracks lessens the chance of deep scratches and make the minor ones easier to polish out:-)
AnswerID: 159922

Sponsored Links