Info please: Fitzroy River near Portland (VIC)

Submitted: Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 23:51
ThreadID: 31640 Views:7796 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are considering heading that way soon as we have friends in Portland, but would probably prefer to camp a bit more out of the way.
There appears to be a camp site at the Fitzroy River Coastal Reserve, has anybody been there or do you know of a better spot in that general area?
I'm a bit lost, as we usually camp in the high country or the outback, generally too many mossies around the coast.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 07:55

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 07:55
I have driven thru past there ages ago Shaker and although its a nice enough area it didnt leave an impression (it was quite a few ages ago). My tip would be to give it a try and if you dont like it theres a great caravan park at Narrawong about 10 km's further along, or out the other side of Portland at Mt Richmond or Cobbobboonee just up past Heywood.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 159862

Reply By: owl - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 08:16

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 08:16
Hello Shaker,

We visited Fitzroy River on our way home from SA at the end of December. There is a large grassed camping area, an eco toliet closer to the river and no other amenities. As you drive in there is a small jetty to fish from and furthur in there is access for 4wds to drive in the river and upto the beach or if you prefer you can walk in the shallow water along the edge of the river upto the beach. It seemed to be a popular place for the locals. We found it peaceful and enjoyable even if it was only a visit and we plan to go back to camp one day. Being self sufficient lack of ammentities does not bother us. While there we spoke to 2 committee members and while I can't remember the exact camping fee price, I remember thinking it was very reasonable.
Hope this helps!
AnswerID: 159866

Reply By: Member - Craig M (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 09:23

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 09:23
G'day Shaker. Yes Fitzroy river campground is flat, and quite accessable, but boring. A much better place is to drive 45 mins down pat Portland to Nelson, or the camping area's along the Glenelg River in the National Park, or ab ouit 15 mins on the sount western side of Portland to Cape Bridghewater (beautiful beach and scenery) - bitumen all the way. If you camp in the National Park at Nelson you'll need to go to the Parks office in Nelson to pay for a site. They are all on the river, and in beautiful settings, have long drops and fireplaces.
Good luck - it's a lovely part of oz

Craig.
AnswerID: 159873

Reply By: Member - Craig M (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 13:53

Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 13:53
Shaker, I've just re read my earlier message! I banged it out in a bit of a hurry, and there are some spelling errors "pat" means "past" and Cape Bridgewater is what I was trying to say. The Cape is a quick drive out of Portland, and Nelson is about 45 mins on the way to Adelaide.
Craig.
AnswerID: 159915

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 12:55

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 12:55
Thanks for your help.
AnswerID: 160065

Sponsored Links