FUEL PRICES

Submitted: Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 09:02
ThreadID: 3167 Views:1208 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCE IN FUEL PRICES IN THIS SITUATION. LAST WEEKEND WE FILLED UP IN BRIS. ON FRIDAY MORNING AND THE COST OF WAS 92.9C FOR ULP. WE THEN DROVE TO WARWICK( 160K WEST OF BRIS) AND THE COST WAS 79.9C. ON RETURNING VIA WARWICK ON SUNDAY THE COST THERE WAS STILL 79.9 AND IN BRIS WAS STILL 92.9. SURELY IT MUST COST SOMETHING TO FREIGHT THE STUFF WEST, OR WE JUST GETTING RIPPED OFF AS NORMAL.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 16:35

Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 16:35
It is one of lifes little mysteries...

Like here where I live, there are 3 mobil stations on same side of road within 2-3klms! Amazingly they all have the same prices... 95-98cpl diesel. But never different to each other.

Then just down the side street from one of them is a Safeway stn, which gets in on the act too. Never really that cheap. They can see the Mobil Price board from their little office.

Between the mobils is a Shell on other side of road, cnr Warrandyte and Cranbourne, which is 99.9!!!!!!!!!! I laughed as I drove out the other day the lady knew exactly why too. Must be a common occurance.

1/2 klm up from that on same side as Shell part of the langwarrin shops, is a BP which is 97.9!

But keep driving 5klms towards Cranbourne, theres a BP with all their flash new signage, with Diesel for 92.2 everyday.

These are all on Cranbourne Road within I would guess 8klms TOPS.
Between Frankston Freeway Franskton, and Cranbourne.
AnswerID: 12268

Reply By: Member - Willem- Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 21:15

Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 21:15
It has something to do with a Trade-Free Zone or something like that. Either 50km or 100km either side of the Queensland/New South Wales Border there exists a zone where fuel can be sold at a much lower price than elsewhere in the country. Cheers, W
AnswerID: 12288

Reply By: kezza - Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 02:31

Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 02:31
Just rip offs
Ive lived in Qld for most of my life on and off and 12 cent variations over a day or 2 happen all over the south east corner - - On wednesdays I can fuel up for 75 cents per lit if I choose woolworths ulp or 79 for their premium (with their 4 cent per lit discount) and by friday their competitors can be up to 91 cents per litre - this is just capitalising on the weekend tourist fuel rush

it sucks but I use it to my advantage

some towns rely on passing trade to survive so they make as little as possible out of the fuel to attract custom -

some enquiries going on in Qld at the moment re fuel pricing

kes
AnswerID: 12324

Reply By: Member - Bob - Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 11:49

Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 11:49
I wonder if the amount of ethanol in the petrol affects price? The cost of real estate must affect overheads - land in Warwick very cheap/ land in Bris very expensive. Also volume of fuel dispensed should lead to lower overhead price per litre - hence high cost in remote places (transport plus low volumes). I still can't figure how diesel has gone on to become more expensive than petrol.
AnswerID: 12335

Sponsored Links