Things made in china

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 21:57
ThreadID: 31684 Views:3516 Replies:15 FollowUps:25
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All.
How do they do it?? From 4wd recovery gear to under pants, there prices are so cheap. Was in bunnings hardware today after a pond pump.

Brand 1 made in china 1000ltr hr output $ 19.95

Brand 2 made in oz 1000 ltr output $ 69.95

Bought the oz one out of principle, but the other may have been ok???

Whats Happening??

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:06

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:06
Will the Chinese one pump Australian water??

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 160141

Follow Up By: Joe King - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 07:53

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 07:53
Yeah, & at what plessure?
FollowupID: 414831

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:11

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:11
Who knows, we my end up buying water from China.
AnswerID: 160142

Follow Up By: 3.0turbob - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 09:34

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 09:34
We already do!... well, those that buy bottled water.
There was a story on one of the current affairs programmes that some of the bottled water we buy here in the supermarkets is actually bottled in China and imported to Australia!!.

Rob
FollowupID: 414851

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:19

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:19
Economies of scale and the exchange rate might account for some of the story.

But it's worse than your story shows. I looked at the price of a particular non 4wd electronics device from there. The quality was so much better than what I thought it would be, as good as the local product or one from the US.
Local product costed out at around $300 per unit. Their price was around $100 per unit landed. However if I was prepared to buy a pallet load, the cost without freight went down to around $10 per unit !!
Another item from there was around $400. The company is a US one but they are made in China. The quality was excellent, and here's the kicker. If I paid for one they would GIVE me a free sample i.e Buy 1, get one free.

Obviously Australia's future isn't in the manufacturing sector.
AnswerID: 160144

Follow Up By: Axle - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:29

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:29
Hence our companys here want to go off shore to produce. The ones that stay want to import the labour?. Goodbye OZ.
FollowupID: 414810

Reply By: Bros 1 - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:29

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:29
Axle,
Millions of workers.
Work for very low wage.
No unions.
Used to working and doing things under these perameters. IMHO.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 160148

Follow Up By: 120scruiser - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 15:42

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 15:42
And no OH&S legislation to soak up the dollars either.
FollowupID: 414933

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:49

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:49
Another angle is Intellectual Property and R&D avoidance as follows:

(1) A company/person spots an item that is a good seller and/or idea.

(2) Buy one.

(3) Buy a ticket for China imediately thereafter.

next thing you know the first mentioned item is being imported by this entity into Oz as that entities re badged item and selling way under the price of the original item.

Quality - well thats usually an unknown quantity.

Saw some rotary hammer drills the other day that were dead set ringers for the original HILTI rotary hammer drill.

However thats life in todays fast lane.

AnswerID: 160153

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 17:48

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 17:48
Vietnam is the same as China.

Being a marxist country, individual property rights or intellectual rights don't really exist under law. Technically it all belongs to the state. So there is no use for copyright.

Is changing slowly, but if you sell anything into China or Vietnam, be prepared for it being copied and you have no come back.

So that saves them major R&D costs.

Sorry, bit of a sore point. Have worked on the design of a few manufacturing projects to be built in Australia to see them finally built in Indonesia, or Vietnam, or China.
FollowupID: 414966

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 07:57

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 07:57
China has signed up to the WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organisation) ... I think Vietnam has too.

This is no longer as simple as you make it.

Clearly nothing has to be sold in China for it to be copied there, but copying in itself is not illegal unless the design has been protected.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 415589

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:50

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 22:50
Chinese Crap is what i call it, Got one of those mini air-conditioner things from Auto-Barn last year , parted with $65.00 ,sat it on the dash when i went to bed and ....and....AND ...my dog could have fluffed and made a better wind that piece of plastic, LION brand all crap, as for the pump well i reackon you were wise ,

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 160154

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 23:10

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 23:10
What you are seeing, is a repeat of what some of us older ones have seen in the past.

After the war, it was Japan.

The Japanese made rubbish, but they improved, and became a manufacturing force to be reckoned with.

Enter Korea. Same thing as Japan.

Both of these countries have now surpassed the mean break-even point on the world mass manufacturing stakes, enter China.

In America, there is a lot of gear made over the border in Mexico.

The advent of free trade agreements has made it easier for your local manufacturer to source his product from overseas.

Quality of Chinese goods is debatable, but that is the fault of the importer, who chooses to select rubbish, whereby other importers will source items of a longer lasting nature.

Sooner or later, the likes of Bunnings, will have to wake up to themselves, because of the image they have painted for themselves. Eventually people will have had enough, and buy better products.

We are on the world stage, whether we like it or not. Some industries have no option but to source overseas, but others will flourish, because there will always be discerning buyers.

That's why we have Hyundai's, and Rolls Royces. There will always be room for both.

I haven't really answered your question at all, have I....

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 160157

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 23:37

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 23:37
No you have not, but you made a good statement and I agree

Cheers
FollowupID: 414818

Follow Up By: wheeleybin - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 08:26

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 08:26
Taiwan was left out as they came into the equasion after Korea and before China and their crap is now among the best crap in the world.
Watch Thailand fly now as all the previous mentioned are now investing in manufacturing in Thailand even China.
This is mainly because Chinese money stays controlled by the Government and to get foreign exchange equity Chinese companies are establishing off shore entities to create wealth out of China.
One I know of in particular is Cotton from Australia goes to China material from China goes to Fiji Chinese owned Fiji Company makes T Shirts and exports to Aus.Fiji then uses profits to buy equity in Aus.
Wheeley
FollowupID: 414833

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 11:13

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 11:13
Ian,

I think you answered the question admirably.

People just need to read the words and understand their content.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 414869

Reply By: Pterosaur - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 23:15

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 23:15
Axle,

When I grew up "Made in Japan" was another way of saying "it's junk".

Nowadays ?

I reckon the Chinese are doing the same - copy a good idea, then refine, then exceed the quality of the original. Reckon they are doing it much faster than the Japanese too - there's a lot more people and resources at their disposal, and it seems they are intent on making up for lost ground as quickly as possible.

IMHO, there's nothing much we can do to combat this, unless we (as a nation) reaqquaint ourselves with the concept of "education" rather than the training system which our educational system has become.

regards
Terry
AnswerID: 160158

Reply By: fisho64 - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 02:14

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 02:14
that is true, the Morris Mini was the fore runner of the Jap front wheel drive.
A while back I watched an ephisode of Robbie Coltranes "Trains, Planes and Automobiles"
was about motorcycles and how in the 50's a European motorbike racer was paid out and when his race started he did half a lap, into a truck parked at the far side, and him and the bike turned up in Japan a few days later. Him to live a life of luxury and the bike to be dismantled copied and cloned.
But that is globalisation.
Couple of hundred years ago you did everything your self, made your own shoes, clothes tools etc. Then they discovered that it was better for the shoemaker to make shoes and you to stick to your own area of expertise and trade with him. The idea has just expanded to cooperatives, then companies, then multinationals, and now countries.
AnswerID: 160169

Follow Up By: KKC - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 08:43

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 08:43
This may not be the right forum on it, but you folks started it.

Free Trade agreement has a CATCH, you must use America Dollars. World trade is not new, it has been around with us for hundreds of years, if not thousands. Never beena problem till recently. Why ? In the old days, we used Physical Silver and Gold as MONEY, they are scarce, and because of its scarcity, you cannot have permenent or persisent Inbalance of trade. You run out of Silver/Gold, you can't buy it anymore.

We had been on Gold standard till 1971, Richard Nixon refused to pay back Gold to other central Banks with their USD Trade surplus. So we are now in total FIAT Money system. The Yankee just keeps printing, and the Chinese know that, but for the sake of keep the unemployment low, they are willing to do it to exchange for the Manufacturing base ! Then , they recycle the USD $ with other countries....etc

Do you know the only usage of yankee $ is to buy OIL. It was why Irqi was invaded because they traded their OIL in Euro. Now IRAN is going to trade their OIL in EURO on 26 Mar 2006, and the Yankee is stepping up the threat. If we are still on GOLD standard, there will be less Trade inbalance and less wars in this World.

The last word of mine, Hyperinflation is the planned way out for the Yankee's > USD $8,000 billion debt. It is why INflation is a way of life, and we all accept it. Protect yourself and your family, divert at least 10% of your wealth into Gold and Silver.
FollowupID: 414836

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:36

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:36
sounds a little like a conspiracy theory to me?
I have heard many theories on the Iraq and Iran problems but not this one.
Inflation is a way of life because it is impossible to have growth without it.
FollowupID: 414884

Follow Up By: KKC - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:51

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:51
Do ytourself a favour. Do a Google Serarch or Yhaoo Search on

"911" and "Lies". I highly recommend a DVD titled "911 Plane Site" which was on Aust. Channel 10.

Then you understand what is "Conspriacy ?" without "Theory".

By thw way, I vivsted this site is to look for Info. on 2007 Prado. I lost my 96 Range Rover in a fire last X'mas.
FollowupID: 414885

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 14:45

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 14:45
LOL
No I dont know what "Conspriacy"(sic) is but I know what "conspiracy" is.
I did myself a favour and searched 911 and got 88,200,000 hits on GOOGLE alone.
Am I only supposed to select the stuff that deals with conspiracy theories or everything?
I have seen several videos along these lines, and though it is of course possible (and even likely) that there is some factual occurances intermixed, I think these have caused gullible people to think that everything in these vids is factual.
Sorry to hear about your RR, thinking about a Prado myself, but an older one and TD
FollowupID: 414911

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 19:01

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 19:01
Gee, if it turns up in a Google search AND it was on Ch 10, then it must be true.
FollowupID: 414991

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:39

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:39
hope your not suggesting George Bush had something to do with the RR fire??!!

Seriously though, unfortunate fact is that conspiracy theories find a home mostly with people in the lower socio economic groups and others with not much education, as does most forms of radicalism. People who havent travelled much if at all, and believe what someone convinces them to believe. Similar to cults.
FollowupID: 415072

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 08:22

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 08:22
The reality is most people don't care where it is made and thats the truth. R.M.Williams (Aussie Icon) now probably 50% of goods made in China and selling more than ever.
AnswerID: 160180

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 09:36

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 09:36
Now, lots of Asians have some difficulty in pronouncing the letter "R".

"Ah, so, you wan AH M Wrilliams sir, okay."

Fancy an Aussie icon, which built its reputation on good solid workmanship, which was tried and true, has now also fallen victim to sourcing its goods from overseas.

I wonder, aside from the Cafe Latte group, if the real interior Australians, who depend on this gear, are aware of this, and are turning towards say.... Blundstone, Driza Bone, etc.

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 414852

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 09:44

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 09:44
Driza Bone is a pommy company i think lol
FollowupID: 414854

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 18:05

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 18:05
Yep. A Pommy company for a few years now actually.
FollowupID: 414972

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 10:02

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 10:02
blundstone have already put the threat on the table about going to china, so it wont be long.
FollowupID: 415424

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 09:25

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 09:25
Gooday,

Next one to look for is "MADE IN INDIA" they are almost as populated as China & very much on the move. So sadly, Made in Australia is a very endangered species, thanks to our successive leaders wanting to strut the world stage.
Cheers boroma604.
AnswerID: 160186

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:34

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:34
I think India is more populous than China since a year or 2 ago?
FollowupID: 414883

Reply By: Member - ROTORD - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:35

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:35
Hello All

Well , you have described the situation reasonably accurately , so what to do . Axle says " goodby Australia " , another says " buy gold ". What rubbish !

If you own an Australian manufacturing business you shift your manufacturing base to Asia and produce the same quality product cheaper . You get the profits and bring them back to Australia .Buyers in Australia get the product cheaper . Asia gets employment , "turn key " factories and a leg up towards the first world . Asia can then buy our farm and mine products and support our tourist industry .

What if you don't own a business to shift to Asia . Well actually you do . Your super fund invests in businesses for you . On your behalf they will shift out of Australian manufacturing and will buy Asian businesses . As these are "growth " areas your profit will be very substantial . Also , any of you can invest in the Asian growth by buying Asian shares [ with advice from a licenced investment adviser ].

What about the Australian manufacturing workers ? The mining , transport and infrastructure industries are desparate for your talents , and they will pay better than what you are getting now . Will there be disruption , and even some grief , sure . but there will be more will be many more winners than loosers . The biggest winners will be those who look at the big picture and act on it . This certainly means that workers in many areas of manufacturing need to move on .

To sum up : you have predicted the future , and if you can predict what is going to happen you can take action to benefit from it .

One last word , I shifted to the Pilbara for employment , so don't winge to me if circumstances dictate a move .
AnswerID: 160216

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 13:51

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 13:51
Succinct & well laid out. However this will not gain any sort of acceptance with the conspiracy theorists or the "let's blame someone else for our own shortsightedness brigade".

It's about recognising change/future trends and the ability to adapt.

Hey Guys! Do I hear any one on this forum lamenting the demise of the candlemaking trade, does anyone today campaign for the street gaslamp lighter who was put out of work by electricity?

Face up to it! Products, trades, services all have a use by date, it may be years, decades or centuries but it's there, we need to recognise this and prepare for it, then capitalise on the change/evolvement and turn it to our countries benefit.

Ian W
FollowupID: 414895

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:51

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 22:51
HALLO!! someone speaks sense! ROTORD and Ian, obviously I am preaching to the converted when I say that Aus and especially WA at the moment is the absolute land of opportunity at the moment. Here we have opportunity (mega boom times in WA) and the freedom to capitalize on the situation for those who want to get off their friggin butts and make the best of it. ROTORD, I dont live in the Pilbara, but I work up there alot of the time. (company I work for is based there) I have worked away from my family for 10 years, made great money, and used it to my advantage for investment. When I come home, I am home for a break (equal time off and on) so spend more time with my family than anyone working in town. Some people dont want to work away from where they live now but want the benefits that come to those who make the sacrifice.
This is the time to pull yourself up the ladder and make the effort.
FollowupID: 415080

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 14:12

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 14:12
Within 20 years most of us will be driving made in China cars and 4Bs. Many of us are driving made in Thailand ones now; some without even knowing it.

Sure, some Chinese made stuff is crap, but a lot of it is pretty good as well and improving. I'll bet some of you are sitting on 'made in China' chairs right now. Some of your lounge furniture (including leather) will be from China as well.

Despite all this, our unemployment rate is the lowest for many years and average wages are the highest ever.

I'm not saying losing our manufacturing industry overseas is good, but it is not as bad as many think.
AnswerID: 160227

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 18:01

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 18:01
http://www.energybulletin.net/7707.htmls
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article8354.htm
http://www.feasta.org/documents/review2/nunan.htm

I posted these 3 links a while ago. Very interesting.
AnswerID: 160253

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 10:18

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 10:18
they have the capacity to manufacture to the highest standards if the customer wants to pay for it. on the other hand they can make the cheapest crud if that is all people want to pay, eg - 3 burner camping stove $ 4, large canvas cabin tent $ 40 .

if anyone saw the show "the men who conqured china" they would have seen yank super funds over there trying to buy up chinese companies flat out. the chinese have a quiet respectful way of doing buisness, and no surprise the yanks kinda clashed with this :-)

they also showed a dairy factory right out in the middle provinces of china, the likes of which i have never seen. it was the most up to date, awsome setup, with plenty of workers and top quality production. Certainly i havent seen any factory here go anywhere close.

China is going to be the most powerful country in the world, with a current trade surplus of 100 billion us a year, climbing rapidly, its got to happen.

Ditto to the changing circumstances view, the days of a job or trade for life have long gone, you have to roll with the opportunities and be prepared to move out of your safety zone, or get left on the scrap heap. My trade - aviation maintenance, is now dead in this country, many of us have moved on, but some wont give up the dream and are suffering for it.
AnswerID: 160608

Follow Up By: Member - ROTORD - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 13:48

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 13:48
Hello Bradley

Is the aviation problem one of heavy metal versus general aviation ? The going rate for helicopter LAME's in the PILBARA is $90000 per year , month on , month off . We couldn't get them from Australia so we fly them in and out of NZ .Elec Inst and Radio are like hens teeth and get $110000 and up . Housing assistance is on top of the salary if they move here.
FollowupID: 415452

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 01:33

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 01:33
Gday champ, as you know GA and the RPT scene have always been different beasts, ga is always running on the budget line and paying crappola.

What you have there is pretty unique, a problem exasperated by our CAR system which is type specific, ie, you can sign for the robinson if you hold the licence but not the bell next to it. the US a&p style of licence is much better, and doesnt leave LAME's held to ransom like the aussie system, where you have to "use it or lose it" .

Australia is the only country where you can get casual and part time employment as an AME or LAME ( if you can get a job at all that is ), its that bad here, and something that our great companies are exploiting to their best advantage.

If you wanted AME's or LAME's with 727,737,767,747,a320,a300,717, etc etc at those rates, they'd be knocking your door down..

whats the going rate for AME's FIFO ??
FollowupID: 415579

Follow Up By: Member - ROTORD - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 13:57

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 13:57
Hello Bradley

Probably no place for an AME , but a LAME without a type rating can sometimes be employed as an AME until he qualifies on type . Give Stuart a call on 08 91431313 , he is an engineer at Karratha .
FollowupID: 415663

Sponsored Links