Great Caravan Park - Otways Vic.

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 12:34
ThreadID: 31725 Views:4300 Replies:4 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I know that some people on here like to stay in Caravan Parks so I thought I'd give one a good rap. We like to stay in both camping areas and caravan parks and decided to try out the Otways Tourist Park in Gelibrand River, Victoria, and it was GREAT. Lovely quiet park with great facilities [incl pool, rec room, fantastic camp kitchen] two camping areas and 30 powered sites. We stayed in the smaller of the two camping areas and it was very quiet, we were allowed an above ground fire and there were plenty of metal drums to use and a couple of fire places as well. I'd say there were half a dozen camp fires going on Sat night. The owners were lovely and very accommodating, and the shop/office sold camping gear as well as fresh bread, milk, deli items and icecreams, they also sold firewood if you needed some. There's also a lovely old pub up the road. We didn't do a lot of exploring on the weekend, preferring to just chill out, but we did take the kids down to the old lighthouse at Cape Otway which they loved it was a very pleasant 50min drive away.

cheers

Lyn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: maroni - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 12:39

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 12:39
nice caravans i have stayed in are kidman camp in borke that was great.
AnswerID: 160422

Reply By: maroni - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 12:44

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 12:44
make that caravan parks,also kimberland caravan park, in kunnanurra and i loved drysdale station, just love the beer garden and the people...
AnswerID: 160423

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 14:12

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 14:12
Everyone,

Keep collecting your information on this as Places Caravan Parks will shortly be updated with parks and a reader rating system.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 160441

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 15:53

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 15:53
Oh no, I'll be done for now!!!!! seriously tho, this is a good idea. Everyone's been going on about 'badgers' but when I looked in there there are heaps and heaps of parks missing (including mine!)
FollowupID: 415217

Follow Up By: Atropos - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 16:55

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 16:55
Hi David,

Good Idea to include visitor reviews of caravan parks / camping areas, I've been doing some research for a listing of dog friendly places for some time.
I find the "automated" format that badgers uses rather hard to follow and much prefer a plain language report.

I'll be happy to post a few reports of the places I have visited when your new section is up and running.

Regards
John
FollowupID: 415239

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 17:41

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 17:41
John, are you aware of the Life Be In It book on Camping with Dogs - great book with resorts, camp grounds, parks etc. That might help you also.
FollowupID: 415251

Follow Up By: Atropos - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 17:52

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 17:52
Hi Ruth,

Yes I am aware of the book also
a usefull site.

I've been trying to cobble them togeather with a few other lists to make a "definitive" list (grin)

Its been hard to find 'nice' places that will take a dog...

But I have a few now which I should share with 'responsable' dog owners.

regards
john
FollowupID: 415255

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 17:53

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 17:53
John

The Otways Tourist Park is also dog friendly, there had to be at least half a dozen dogs there with their owners. One chap from a caravan club was chatting to us, and he said they were really impressed with the park and love the fact they could bring their dog with them as they can't stand the thought of leaving him behind
FollowupID: 415256

Follow Up By: Atropos - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 17:54

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 17:54
Hmm that failed badly http://www.doggyholiday.com was the site I was trying to include
FollowupID: 415257

Follow Up By: Atropos - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 17:59

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 17:59
We have a 12 y/o jack russell who is I assure you better behaved than most kids whilst on holiday (grin)

I cannot let this thread go on without a plug for http://www.bestfriend.net.au where at xmas and new year we had a holiday that we shall fondly remember for years to come.

When David opens his new section I will write a full report, in the meantime I cannot speak too highly off this place and the people who run it.

regards
John
FollowupID: 415258

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 18:08

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 18:08
John, didn't you mention the 'best friend' place after Christmas - I think that's how I heard about it. I agree about dogs rather than kids - my old man thinks it should be policy in all caravan parks. Ha ha.
I'm always looking for dog friendly places as we travel with two 8 year old chocolate Labradors and (sometimes) and 8 year old Birman cat.
So far this week we've had two absolutely beautiful Border Collie visitors.
FollowupID: 415262

Follow Up By: Atropos - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 18:21

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 18:21
Hi Ruth,
Yes guilty I did mention them at xmas time, we were so astounded at the wonderful time we had we could not resist giving them a plug.

It was amazing to see how well the dogs got on togeather.

And we had some nice people too.

When you come down to Vic you should go say hello to Ralph and Coalie I'm sure they would make you and your dog very welcome. And you could get one of those (I slept with my best friend) tee shirts that are on offer (huge grin)

regards
John
FollowupID: 415266

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:58

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:58
Hi Ruth,

I will have to make sure James does not read this post, he will be very disappointed with you...hahahaha

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 415325

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:41

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:41
Oh Glenn, you wouldn't let James or any of my other fav little tiddlies read that Post, would you? I didn't say it was MY policy, did I?
FollowupID: 415373

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:41

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:41
Glenn, I'm sure Ruth will agree, there's always exceptions to the rule...ahahhahaha....
FollowupID: 415374

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 15:56

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 15:56
Hi Mrs Al, they were talking about the Otways on Great Outdoors last night - particularly about the Rainforest area, not sure if they mentioned the cp though. The Otways is another place I'm going to re-visit on a 'girlie' trip so I can stop at everything I want to see and visit (especially the Lighthouse) - the last time Ian drove The Great Ocean Road in just over one day and all I saw was the white line. I seem to remember whingeing to you about this before and saying next time it'll just be girls in the car! LOL. The bits I saw looked beautiful.
AnswerID: 160453

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 16:01

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 16:01
Hi Ruth,

it's just beautiful down there, I love it, the Lighthouse was great, though, as I'm not too keen on steep decents, the ladder up to the light was daunting, not on the way up, but the way down, I think everyone knew to keep out of my way, I took the advice of the guide and came down backwards and it wasn't too bad, but still had to take some deep breathes when I got to the stairs, the stairs were easy. Fantastic view from up there, windy, but great view...

cheers

Lyn

your girlie trip is sounding very very interesting, esp the simpson one lol

FollowupID: 415219

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 16:15

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 16:15
Uh oh, I would have trouble with the ladder as well. Did the kids enjoy it - guess they climbed twice as far as everyone else. Always windy - just loved Cape Bridgewater - could have sat on the headland forever there. I don't mind the wind (Ian hates it) - but not sure how I'd go in the wind, cold, rain times - if you're just visiting it's different I suppose.
Did Willem tell you where we are going on the 'girlie' trip?
You doing any study this year?
FollowupID: 415222

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 16:22

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 16:22
The kids loved it, didn't like the strong wind once out on the balcony and didnt stay for long...I had to take a pic of Al instead of the kids...LOL...I would love to see a storm roll in, be great I think.

Willie has told me about the trip...hahahaha...I'm jealous...lol

I'm in the middle of my first essay at the moment, and heading to Peterborough SA to interview one of it's infamous residents [guess who...] for my second essay, heading off on April 10, meeting up with Al and the kids on the thurs before easter and spending easter in the barossa valley with the car club we belong to. I'm looking forward to it all.

Lyn
FollowupID: 415227

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 17:42

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 17:42
Hmmmm, famous resident of Peterborough.................
Nice of Al to look after the kids for you - hahahaha.
Easter trip will be great. Lucky things - I'll be getting busy. Just got two campers this afternoon.
FollowupID: 415252

Follow Up By: Mike - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:23

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:23
Just 2! Not enough to have a progressive dinner, eh? Howdy Mate, glad you'll be able to get away on your "Girly" trip. Loads of talking all at once!

Happy (chicken) trails, Mike.
FollowupID: 415309

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:44

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:44
Howdy Chicken Mike, no invitation to dinner - had to cook (left over stew again!). The 'girlie' trip to the Great Ocean Road might be waiting a while but definitely going on Willem's 'girlie' trip early May - we are going to have an adventure!
Good water in the Diamantina again, and a bit more coming behind. Still absolutely no rain though in this corner.
FollowupID: 415375

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 20:01

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 20:01
Gee, a day... I have done it in 3 hours
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 415523

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 08:04

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 08:04
Ah Bonz, next time you go with Ian then and I'll go the 'girlie' way. I've a bit of a passion for lighthouses and it was interesting when we came to the Otway L/h turnoff and he drove straight past - only waited all my life for see that L/h. The conversation was blue rated when I yelled he'd missed the turnoff. Couldn't tell you on here because I would definitely be deleted but great story for around the campfire!
FollowupID: 415591

Sponsored Links