Goose neck Locks...

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:14
ThreadID: 31740 Views:2340 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
A mate of mine has a Hayman Reese tow bar with the goosneck neck part held into the bar with a lock arrangement that has the cylindrical key with plastic dust cap in the end, that replaces the bar & cotter pin supplied as standard - all know the type? Ok so he is pulling away the other day and there is a clatter and bump from the rear and he discovers that the locking bar has sheared off allowing the draw bar to slide out of the Towbar... I promptly checked mine and there are no signs of wear apart from some surface rust coming through the cheap chrome. His looks like it missed out on heat treatment as it can be clearly seen how the bar has been gradually rotated and chewed through by the guilotene action of the two parts when under load... He bought his from super cheap, mine came as a gift so I have no idea where it came from, maybe "towbar lock factory No6" in China. Maybe worth checking if you use one of these theft deterrents....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:17

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:17
No self respecting thief would nick such shoddy kit :))))

Hmm. better check mine as it probably came from "towbar lock factory No1", well before QA in China LOLOL
AnswerID: 160517

Follow Up By: Axle - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:47

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:47
Stuff me!! , My last post Things made in china. ?.
FollowupID: 415320

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:55

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:55
Ha ! So you're responsible. We should now refer to you as "the Oracle" :))
FollowupID: 415323

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:52

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 21:52
Basil ,
Mine is a Tallon Lock and shows no sign of wear , but I seldom use it anymore because it takes 5 minutes of fiddling to undo the lock and one day , it's not going to come off at all .
I reckon if your mate showed that to the importer he would crap himself .
Willie .
AnswerID: 160528

Reply By: cokeaddict - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 05:43

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 05:43
2 things ive noticed with those lockable pins....

1: the removable head is easily snapped off with a hammer, in your mates case maybe someone was trying to "borrow" the goose neck assembly and was disturbed before he got to remove it.

2: The pin is missing one critical cotter pin on the other side. This would assure the pin would not fall out even if the head snapped off.

I modified mine long ago, I think ahead too much sometimes, but ive seen some crazy things happen on the roads so ya can never be too safe in my opinion.
AnswerID: 160578

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:13

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:13
Chucked my lockable pin away a long time ago and replaced it with a standard pin.
I had to undo and remove the 7 pin socket bracket to get to the lock.

By the way. My setup has a safety retaining bolt in the top right hand corner to "lock" the assembly into the receiver and stop the normal play in it.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 160590

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 09:00

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 09:00
That's called an "anti rattle" bolt. It's designed to stop the hitch moving in the reciever and stop wear.
Don't ever think of it as a safety feature. If the pin shears there's no way that bolt will stop the hitch coming out.
FollowupID: 415405

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 18:25

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 18:25
I've got one of those cylindrical ones - paid "too much" and got it from a Hayman Reece dealer. Reckon its dead set easy to use - generally take it off and remove the tongue when ever I disconnect the van - saves bumping the shins and getting greased up.

I replaced it after a few years - no real sign of major problem, but reckon its a hell of a shear load. Carry a spare standard pin in case of mishap.

Max
AnswerID: 160697

Sponsored Links