Camping Lake Tinaroo

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 09:15
ThreadID: 31748 Views:13273 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Atherton Tablelands in late Setemper, early October.

We love camping and don't mind camp grounds with little or no facilities. We tow and off road trailer and also have a Car topper dingy which we like to take on trips as I love my fishing.

Do any of you out there know of any good camp grounds or holiday parks on the shores of lake tinaroo. Would really like one where it would be conveinient to put the boat in by hand.

Something a little more basic would be the preferred option.

Regards

Kelvin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 10:17

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 10:17
Kelvin ,
I just Googled Atherton Fishing and there is a boat hire place there you could probably ring for advice . Rob from Cairns Offroad would certainly know and he will probably see your post sometime today .
Failing that I would ring one of the Cairns fishing tacle shops and they could advise you for sure . ( Cairns Bait and Tackle and GotOne Cairns )
Cheers ,
Willie
AnswerID: 160607

Reply By: KARGAR - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 11:06

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 11:06
hi kelvin, missus and i went up there in sep 04 wish we had a camp trailer with us at the lake there is camp spots all around it as you drive around the outside they are run by nat parks not quite sure of costs we drove into 1 and had a look and they are very nice some had boat ramps when you get there drive around and check each one out before you book in as they have different names for them. what we did also was drive around the lake with windows down and took it real slow and what we seen and most of all was the birds singing we would pull to side and listen. hope this helps you will have a great time wish we were going again maybe next year regards garry & karen
AnswerID: 160617

Reply By: tdv - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 11:20

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 11:20
Kelvin

This is my backyard! Great spots all around the lake with the quietest being School Point. There are only a limited number of sites available here so you will need to book. You can do it online at www.epa.qld.gov.au. Other nice spots are Kauri creek and Fong On Bay but waterskiers will drive you bananas! The area is called Danbulla NP I think. If you are fishing you'll need a stocked impoundment permit from www.dpi.qld.gov.au. The huge barra won't be in full swing til October though. Plenty to see and do up here. Remember we are at altitude so it can still be quite cool at night in September eg 10 degrees isn't uncommon.

Cheers

Terry
AnswerID: 160619

Follow Up By: Member - Kelvin Y (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 14:22

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 14:22
Thanks Terry,

So if I book a spot at school point I would be able to camp in my trailer close to the water? Would I need to be near a boat ram,p of would I be able to camp close enough to the water to slide my boat in and out by hand? I have wheels on the back of the boat so its easy to move around short distances.

Regards

Kelvin
FollowupID: 415458

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 14:35

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 14:35
There are hundreds of places at Tinaroo where u can camp right on the water and even if you need to go to the ramp to put the boat in, you can anchor beside your camp on the beach
FollowupID: 415460

Follow Up By: tdv - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 16:05

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 16:05
All NP camp sites around the lake are on the water. The distance to the water depends on the water level of the dam. If the wet season doesn't hurry up it may be quite low by October.
FollowupID: 415476

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 18:44

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 18:44
Currently 4.26 metres below spillway
FollowupID: 415505

Reply By: ellen m - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 22:54

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 22:54
hi kelvin

there are a quite a few camping sites on tinaroo that are good for ct and you can keep your boat close by. if i was you, try and stay away on week-ends so there is not so many skiers (very noisy) my favourate spot would be fong-on bay. Downfall Creek, and platapus rock are also good. One is a bit small (i get them confussed, the one closest to the dam face)

dont know if there will be much water in the dam at that time of year....it was low when we were there 3 weeks ago, but we have had HEAPS of rain in cairns since then.

enjoy your trip

Ellen
AnswerID: 160788

Sponsored Links