Heading for Big River State Forest

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 15:09
ThreadID: 31758 Views:8676 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,

We're new to this forum but have done quite a bit of reading so far. We're looking forward to making contributions from our own expiditions. Just wondering if anyone has recently been to Big River State Forest. We were planning on beginning to look for camp sites from Stockmans Reward in the Upper big river. We understand that during holiday periods it can be quite busy (we love isolation from crowd) so if we cant find anything suitable there, we were going to head north from 25 mile creek to Eildon Jameison Rd and see what we might find in the Lower Big River camping grounds. The maps say 4WD only from 25 mile creek, we were wondering about the condition of this track? We have a 4WD holden rodeo dual cab, but are not equipped with winches, cb etc. We're novice 4WDrivers and just dont want to get into something we're not prepared for. Can anyone recommend 4WD side tracks good for beginners like us? And does anyone know the state of the river at the moment? I know this is alot of questions but just recently we went up to Snowy River National Park and found Ash Saddle and New Guinea Gap a bit beyond us due to such poor track conditons. Is Eildon Jameison Rd anything like the precarious road to Makillop Bridge or is it a bit wider. Just want to be prepared, cant be giving Grampa a heart attack.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 16:22

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 16:22
Big River Road is a narrow but firm dirt track. Jamieson to Eildon from Big River is bitumen and traversed by 2WD vehicles. Don't take any unneccessary risks and you shouldn't have a problem. It won't be crowded at the moment.
AnswerID: 160667

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 16:58

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 16:58
We drove the road in early January. Nothing much to worry about. Like PK says it is narrow from 25 Mile Creek to Enoch's Point with vegetation brushing both sides of the 4by. Nice firm base with no slippery bits. Great views down to the River.

You will find lots of nice camping spots east of Stockmans Reward with good river access.

Have fun!

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 160676

Reply By: mcgra (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 18:22

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 18:22
hi Tara

we just came back from there stayed at frenchmans for the long weekend.

we spent saturday 7 hours clearing tracks and we had 4 chainsaws on the go heaps of trees down we manage 14ks in that 7 hours and many tracks inpassible, the main tracks are sort of cleared but many of shoots blocked and some of these trees are huge.

have fun

gra
AnswerID: 160696

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 01:49

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 01:49
was that up stream(frenchmans creek) near the intersection of camp track ? cause there was a massive tree down across the main track a while back up there.

Which tracks did you cover ?

cheers Brad
FollowupID: 415580

Reply By: newlux - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 19:32

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 19:32
Can someone please narrow down where Big River State Forest is? It sounds like a great spot but I'm not quite sure where it is.

Thanks
AnswerID: 160714

Follow Up By: Haza - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 20:15

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 20:15
150 km. north-east of Melbourne
FollowupID: 415528

Sponsored Links