Avoiding accidents

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 18:00
ThreadID: 31770 Views:1561 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
A while back I was sitting in my Troopy listening to some music with a newspaper on the passenger seat and my reading glasses resting on the dash.After a while I could smell something burning and I could not believe when I realised the newspaper was smouldering--what hadd happened was the sun was shining through the windscreen and had focused on the nespaper through my reading glasses and started the smouldering.I hate to think of the consequences if I were not in the vehicle.Iknow it is very unusual but I can assure you it can happen and I don't have the "coke bottle" type glasses either.From then I never leave my glasses uncovered in the car and it may be good advive for others asw well as we do most of our travel in the hot weather.This would probably also apply to drinking glasses as well.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stillthinkinaboutit - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 18:04

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 18:04
Thanks for the warning !

I have been known to hang mine off the rear vision mirror, never thought about the things starting a fire.

Regards,
Mark
AnswerID: 160692

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 13:59

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 13:59
I have heard stories of cigarette lighters on dashboards exploding and breaking windscreens - never seen it happen but while we're on the topic....

Scoey.
0
FollowupID: 415664

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 19:36

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 19:36
I wear my glasses all the time and never look into the sun....so I should be OK? lol
AnswerID: 160717

Reply By: Nav 8 - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 20:13

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 20:13
I remember on a trip with some people some years back while in Broome one lady after useing a mirror droped it on the front seat of their forby. A little while later smoke was seen comeing from the open window of the vehicle, the sun on the mirror had set light to the hood lineing. Could have been a disaster if it had not been spotted,,, Nav.
AnswerID: 160726

Reply By: Peter 2 - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 20:58

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 20:58
We were away with friends a few years back, one of their kids had a Gameboy with the night vision thingy (used to light the screen up in the dark) still attached but flipped up out of the way.
Problem was the lens on the night vision thingy was slightly magnified and the sun coming through set fire to his T shirt!
Peter
1996 Oka Motorhome

Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 160747

Reply By: eerfree - Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 22:49

Wednesday, Mar 15, 2006 at 22:49
Rambler
Can I reprint your post into other forums Please (with suitable acknowledgement).
eerfree
AnswerID: 160785

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 00:34

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 00:34
Eeerfree,
You Can certainly reprint my post to other forums as I would only be pleased to think that it may save even one person from a very destructive and dangerous situation.
AnswerID: 160812

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 05:07

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 05:07
Hmm..food for thought. I always have a couple of pairs around and never thought what might happen. Thanks.
AnswerID: 160825

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)