french line

Submitted: Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 18:26
ThreadID: 3178 Views:1492 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
wanted!

swiss-french couple with a baby want do drive the french line to birdsville in mid-february - but not alone (security).
anyone interested to join us please send us an email.

we have all the necessary recovery gear on board and allot of desert driving experience.

have a nice day
daniel and virginie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 20:26

Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 20:26
It is not a good idea to drive the French line across the Simpson Desert in mid-February. This is the hottest time of the year in Australia. Outside temperatures will reach 50C while ground temperatures can reach 75 C. This makes driving across the dunes hazardous as the sand becomes very loose and may give you trouble. Even if your car is airconditioned you are still taking a big risk. If you break down and your engine is not running you could dehydrate within hours and die out there before anybody has time to rescue you.
AnswerID: 12283

Reply By: desert - Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 21:22

Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 21:22
Vida, I would NOT recommend to anybody to go into the Simpson in mid February. It is courting disaster. Especially taking a baby along. Vehicle temperature will be unbearable to a baby. The heat will make the driving more difficult than necessary, will tax the vehicle untoward and will make tyres, batteries, fridges and water supplies work overtime. Go to the beach instead and return to the desert in our winter. It would be grossly irressponsible of you if anything were to go wrong out there, placing others at risk for a rescue. Think again please.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 12290

Reply By: Mick - Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 22:44

Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 22:44
One word of advice!! Don't Go in February!!! (Sorry that's four)
AnswerID: 12300

Reply By: Mick - Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 22:44

Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 22:44
One word of advice!! Don't Go in February!!! (Sorry that's four)
AnswerID: 12301

Reply By: Phil G - Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 23:20

Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 23:20
Lets make that 5!

Don't go until at least May. I'm worried about the baby - if the baby gets sick in the slightest way, they can easily succumb to dehydration and you will be days away from help. Don't do it.

Phil G
AnswerID: 12311

Reply By: forge - Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 23:28

Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 23:28
Having had experince in desert rescues , ( and dont care how much experience you,e got ) i,ll be more blunt than others . Where do we send flowers ? Don,t go in Feb , it,s not worth the risk to the baby. Cheers.
AnswerID: 12313

Reply By: Member - Bob - Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 11:40

Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 11:40
Dear Daniel and Virginie, it's great you are interested in doing the Simpson Desert, but like the others I would advise against this in February. It would be horrendous for the baby, even if you did make it safely. The earliest time to even think about it would be April, but even then it can be very hot. At least other vehicles are starting to appear at that time, and you could be rescued if problems arose. Without airconditioning a baby would tend to rapidly dehydrate at 50 degrees. I know a lot of these responses seem very negative - please accept the advice in the spirit in which it is offered.
AnswerID: 12334

Reply By: Terry - Sunday, Feb 02, 2003 at 10:14

Sunday, Feb 02, 2003 at 10:14
Dear Daniel and Virginie,

Owning a cattle station in that country, I would strongly recommend you put off your trip until late May at the earliest. If your experienced as you have stated with crossing deserts, you would be well aware of the dangers travelling across the Simpson during the hottest part of the year.

I would also be very surprised if you had anyone take up your offer, and if you do I would have serious concerns about there abilities.
AnswerID: 12389

Sponsored Links