Fuji digital camera info

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 13:09
ThreadID: 31798 Views:2220 Replies:12 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I'm considering buying a fuji S3500 or S5600 finepix. For basic holiday snap shots do you think the S3500 suitable or should I pay the extra?? Any suggestions on alternatives??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Scoey (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 13:27

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 13:27
Hi Austravel,
I use the S3500 for work and I don't like it much - I am a Canon fan but. The things I don't like about it is:
1 - It's bulky.
2 - The menu is difficult to navigate.
3 - The camera is fairly limited in it's functions.
4 - It takes AA's - I prefer battery packs.
5 - Very small LCD screen.
I like:
1 - The optical zoom! 6X!

For a tough, easy to use quality camera, I recommend the Canon IXUS 40. Very nice camera - limited only in it's optical zoom. 3X

Hope that helps! Cheers
Scoey.
AnswerID: 160926

Reply By: Member - John L G - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 13:32

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 13:32
Pay a bit more and get the S5600.
Brilliant camera and eats the others on the market in image quality, mainly because it has good glass in the optics with the 10x optical zoom through a properley constructed lens system which allows plenty of light to the sensor.

Travelled all over Europe with mine and pics exceptional.

Have fun...........
AnswerID: 160927

Reply By: Shawsie (Member - Bris) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 13:53

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 13:53
I agree with john L G. I have the S5600 and its GREAT :o) It has loads of features that you'd only see on an SLR, but without the price tag. Don't get me wrong about SLR's if I had a spare $1500 I would've got one, but the S5600 is easy to use and operate giving you great quality pics in all situations.
AnswerID: 160931

Reply By: Des Lexic - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 14:13

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 14:13
Check out a site www.dpreview It gives all the info you need on any digi camera and users responses.
AnswerID: 160934

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 14:35

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 14:35
Dick Smith Powerhouse has the Fuji S9500 on special for $698 from March 16 to 26. 9 Megapixel, 10.7 zoom, great lowlight performance.

Amazing value.

Mike
AnswerID: 160937

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 14:51

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 14:51
S5600 is $449 after Cashback
FollowupID: 415670

Reply By: flappa - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 15:14

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 15:14
I have the S3000 and its a top piece of gear , but , I would go as high as your budget allows.

S5600 would be a good starting point
AnswerID: 160945

Reply By: Austravel - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 16:00

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 16:00
Thanks everyone.
AnswerID: 160952

Follow Up By: Member - uncle - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 15:50

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 15:50
Hi there Austravel,we purchased a Fuji S602 nearly 2 years ago and were using it extensively for wedding photography,right up until we bought a chicken,seafood and takeaway shop.The camera has been treated like a "pro" tpye camera and only a few weeks back I discovered what looked like fungus in the lens.
We sent it to Fuji repairs in Sydney and the camera arrived back today,all fixed and no Bill!! The camera is way out of warranty,now thats service for ya.If I was going to get another camera,it wouild be another Fuji..cya happy snapping.ps this camera will be going enroute throughout Aus with us very shortly as we will be working on a book on Gold prospecting,thru the gold fields of Australia.
FollowupID: 417209

Follow Up By: Austravel - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 16:05

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 16:05
Thanks uncle. Sounds like your trip will be a bit of work as well, though better than behind a counter serving people I'll bet.
FollowupID: 417212

Reply By: Mark T - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 17:01

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 17:01
As a working professional photographer I shoot Fuji S3 pro and also Nikon D series SLR digitals.

I do have a Cannon but they worry me because they turn over their model cycle so quickly that once you have it - it's obsolete. And that makes me wonder about spare parts in the future.

Just my thoguhts

Cheers

Mark T

AnswerID: 160962

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:47

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:47
Hi there Mark,

The Canon /Nikon thing is almost as big as the Toyota / Nissan thing as you probably know.

My investment in Canon Lenses that has seen me through since the film days through 3 generations of digitals is worth heaps more than all the bodies I have used - and I rarely keep them for more than 1 year - so spare parts never get to be an issue. In my experience, however, Canon and reputable repairers are able to fix even the oldest Canon (and for that matter Nikon) professional or prosumer gear.

The S3Pro is quite a different camera to the FinePix S5600 however.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 415730

Reply By: Utemad - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:28

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:28
I have the S5600 and love it. However my Wife has a film SLR Canon EOS 500D (8 years old?).

They say that the S5600 and similar cameras have full SLR features but in reality they do not. They may have the features but the range is not the same for instance I think the S5600 goes from F3.6 to F8 whereas the Canon goes from about F3.6 to F32. Similar thing for shutter speed but not as bad.
However the 10x zoom and ability to shoot in RAW is great.

I do like my S5600 and I knew all this when I bought it however there is more than one reason why it cost me $465 and the cheapest entry level SLR costs $999.

One of the deciding factors for me though is that it looks and feels like a proper camera. I had a Sony 5mp compact and I liked that I could store it in a pocket but other than that I disliked its limitations and feel.

However as you are tossing up between the S3500 and the S5600 I would get the S5600. If for no other reason than once you have had the S3500 for a while you will wish you had spent the extra dollars and got the one you really wanted.

By the way, I prefer AAs over Lithium. Nothing worse when you are travelling than if you can't charge your batteries anyware. I can always pilfer my GPS, torch or whatever batteries. Although I carry 2 spare sets of 2400mA batteries anyway. Which can then be used for backup for all my toys not just the camera. You would be very surprised how long AA batteries last in cameras. I think most people who bag AA cameras are thinking of way back when digi cameras first came out and battery life was very short.
AnswerID: 160983

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:42

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:42
Hi there Utemad,

I agree with a lot of what you've said, but wanted to correct a few misconceptions.

The Canon film SLRs do not have D's - could be an EOS50 or perhaps EOS500 but all the lenses from your Canon film SLRs fit the Digital SLRs or D-SLRs.

The Fujifilm S5600 is not an SLR camera - what you won't get is the fast reaction or short lag times of digital SLRs. You are talking an order of magnitude difference. This could be important if you want to capture the moment (wildlife, children, sport, 4WDing etc.). This is the principle reason for having a D-SLR unless you want to start getting really technical and shoot in RAW, use professional lenses, get really creative with depth of field etc. (in which case you'll probably know what you need anyways).

The apertures supported is somewhat of a red-herring for most users.

For a start, the sensor on the point & shoot cameras is much smaller than that on Digital SLRs - the corrolary of this is that you have much larger Depth of Field for the same aperture/subject distance, and there is little need for miniscule apertures - everything is in focus anyway.

Also, you are talking about sensor sites (pixels effectively) that are so tiny, that the chromatic aberation from even a great lens at small apertures will be bad. That is why most point and shoots get purple and orange fringing in extreme light conditions. There's no point having smaller apertures.

The one place where you will wish you could've had them if the laws of physics didn't intervene is for macros - basically, if you need anything more than a bees whisker DOF you can't successfully shoot it with a p&s. You'll need not just a D-SLR but some great lights and fancy lenses.

I recommend to many first time digital cameras that they get a cheapy with the view to upgrading once they have taken a few thousand photos - by then, they will know what they use it for, what they like, what they hate, and can make informed decisions.

Like you, I prefer NiMH rechargable batteries when my equipment (not my D-SLRs but most everything else) requires AA batteries. I have about 12 sets of 4 x 2600mAh (milli-amp-hour) which I rotate around and recharge constantly. IN my experience these are even better than the Lithium batteries and don't cost that much more.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 415727

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 21:11

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 21:11
Even though DSLRs have come way down in price, I still prefer the benefits of top-of-the-range non-DSLR.
- no worry aboout dust on the sensor, or salt spray !
- no shots lost changing lenses
- no extra lenses to lug around
- videocamera-quality video
- great macro depth-of-field using +4 closeup lens
- imperceptible shutter lag when you know how to set it up
- real preview of the picture.

My KM A200 provides RAW option, Image Stabiliser etc etc. If a really want shallow depth of field for artistic effect I can always add it in the computer.

I regularly produce prints that are A3 size and no-one says - shame about the quality - in fact, quite the opposite.

Mike
FollowupID: 415736

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 21:25

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 21:25
Well put Mike - horses for courses, and most can get excellent results from compact digitals.

For clarification, your +4 closeup lens gives you shorter working distance but no greater depth of field. You will still have bee's whisker DOF if you're not careful and dog's hair DOF if you are ;-)

DOF is matter of subject distance and aperture (period).

There is a nice calculator at www.dof-master.com if you're interested.

With pre-focusing you can reduce the shutter lag to .3s or so - to me that is quite perceptible and will mean that I don't get the very shot (or every shot for that matter) that I was shooting.

The real preview is not exactly what the camera will take - it is what the camera is seeing some moments before it takes it, and using a different aperture/shutterspeed to what will eventually be used.

For most seetings these things won't bother you - sometimes they might.

Salt spray is the bane of every lens, and dust the bane of Digital SLRs that the manufacturers have not properly owned up to (with some minor exceptions).

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 415738

Follow Up By: Utemad - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 23:39

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 23:39
Hi Andrew.

I gather you know a lot more about cameras than I do :-)
I just checked my wifes camera and it is an EOS 500N my sister has the digital 500D.

I am not sure if you think I was saying that the S5600 is an SLR??? I was actually trying to say it wasn't and that even though it said it had full manual features that it still wasn't as good (for photography) as an SLR.

One of the reasons I went with the S5600 is, like Mike, I didn't want to have all the other stuff to carry. Like lenses and flashes etc. Plus as I am a gadget junky I would spend a huge amount on all the good gear :-) and I don't want to do that. Plus I want something that can go under my jacket when snowboarding/climbing without risking thousands of dollars of equipment.

I have taught myself a lot about Photoshop CS from books and practice to make up for some of my shortcomings as a photographer.

I agree that it is a good idea to have something relatively cheap to get used to digital camera functions and what you like and don't like. Otherwise I would probably have just bought the Canon version of the S5600 because people reckon Canon's are good :-)
FollowupID: 415770

Reply By: macca172 - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:03

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:03
I bought the Fuji S5600 five months ago. Its been a great piece of equipment to date. I would have no hesitation in recommending it
AnswerID: 161003

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:58

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:58
It really depends on what you are going to take pictures of and what you are going to do with them - print them as 6x4s, look at them on your PC, etc.

I have a checklist for people buying digital cameras on my website.

It might give you a lot of things to think about in addition to just the camera to make sure you get the best deal.

Ciao for now.
Andrew.
AnswerID: 161015

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 21:14

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 21:14
. . . an excellent and up-to-date practical guide to help people to pick a camera !

Mike
FollowupID: 415737

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 21:28

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 21:28
Thanks for the compliment Mike - I was just wondering if I needed to do a more up to date version actually.

The things I would add would be:

1. Image stabilisation - now much more available and accessible and useful feature (or OIS or VR or whatever your favourite manufacturer calls is)

2. review the M-Pixels and memory card size details - their price has come down a lot so the entry levels tend to be 4 or 5 MPixels these days

3. review the sensitivity/low light shooting material - there are some reasonable high sensitivity compact cameras around now.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 415740

Reply By: Austravel - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:07

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:07
Thanks everyone for the in depth answers.
AnswerID: 161875

Sponsored Links