indian pacific railway

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 15:57
ThreadID: 31803 Views:2034 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'DAY EVERYONE my first post here is one to ask some information. i understand that the track along the railway(indian pacific) is closed to trafic??? i am interested in gaining permission to traverse the railway from the top of googe's track right across to kalgoolie.next june . Can anyone help me in knowing who to contact for permission. I understand that transfield do the maintainace so they might be able to help?
cheers don in sydney
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 16:41

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 16:41
Not sure about the whole track, but am pretty sure that part of it passess through the Woomera Prohibited Area. If you check out the Anne Beadell Highway trek notes on Explore Oz you will find that a lot of the permits required for that track you will also find usefull full the Railway track.. (assuming you get permission from the railways I guess)
AnswerID: 160958

Follow Up By: ro-dah-o (WA) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 16:51

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 16:51
Try ARG (australian railways group)- they are (now) a queensland based company. They own the railways (wa at least) and will probably be able to tell you where you can go and where not.

I vaguely remember being told that alot of it is unnacessable.

Would be good info to post back here for others reference
FollowupID: 415681

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:48

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:48
I was told that as most of the track is on railway easement & gazetted for Railway use only that because of 3rd party insurance implications that you would not be given permission to travel via that route. I was told that the only public access was at recognised railway stations. I do know that it is considered a very serious offence to cross a railway line at other than a gazetted railway crossing. It's all to do with the Australian Railways act of 1852, an interesting, if stupidly outdated tome...
There was an interesting discussion in the Australian Railway Mag a few issues back after some rail enthusiasts were fined for being on railway land, & crossing a railway track. As a kid it was always assumed that you were allowed to wave to the engine driver from the trackside as you picked blackberries...
AnswerID: 160986

Follow Up By: donnnnny - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 19:19

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 19:19
i am not so worryed about insurance problems as the trip will be through our club and we will have insurance.
as you say railways were always alot of fun as a kid
and waving to the driver was a must
FollowupID: 415712

Reply By: donnnnny - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 19:20

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 19:20
cyote thanks for the info with reguards the ann bidell ill look into that also
cheers don
AnswerID: 160990

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:27

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:27
This got a write up I think in the latest edition of Australian Geographic or Western4wder (I forget). Apparantly they are NOT HAPPY with people using prohibited parts of the track You can ask for permission but I dont think they give it
AnswerID: 161006

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 00:13

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 00:13
Try this site

The Trans Continental Railway Access Line

Richard
AnswerID: 161062

Follow Up By: Member - Luxoluk - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 15:47

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 15:47
Hi Richard

I am sceptical about the weight one should apply to the advice Michelle obtained from the CEO. I don't dispute what she was told though!! I have never seen or heard of any signs being placed out there indicating the legal basis upon which they rely upon to promote this crap that it's a private road. If they had the authority then they would place signs to ensure they minimised their public risk arising from tourist claims. If they were to place signs and didn't have the authority to do so then there would be a basis to challenge their authority. If it aint signed then it's fair game in my view. Bureaucrats and the truth should not be confused as one and the same!! (That's my view only)
FollowupID: 415892

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 19:02

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 19:02
I would be damned sure it is sighned. Certainly it is between Kalgoorlie and Bulla Bulling in quite a few places - Still hasnt stopped me. To get to Walleroo rock you need to access a few ks and they advize contacting the rail authority - Yea right!!
FollowupID: 415953

Follow Up By: Member - Luxoluk - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 21:12

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 21:12
Hi Ya Davoe
Until I see a picture of a sign that gives a statutory reference to some authority then as far as I am concerned this track is open. I am heartily sick and tired of others trying to lock up this country to the exclusion of the majority. I am an evidenced based person (code for PITA) and place no weight upon mythology generated by those with other interests. It's a case of show us you have the authority, not except they have it. Cheers in anarchy!!
FollowupID: 415991

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 22:39

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 22:39
Ya thats cool

A couple of years ago we tried to go from Rawlinna to Cockiebiddy and could not fined the way south.

Knocked on a door of some locales they told the only way south was the Haig road (Farm Track) so we went down it AND there were on signs saying you could or could not travel the road.

I,m still waiting for Michelle to finish the trip report to see how we can travel from Rawlinna to Cockiebiddy.

Richard
FollowupID: 416309

Follow Up By: Member - Luxoluk - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 08:35

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 08:35
Hi Richard. Thanks for your coments. I have a track file that will get you from Rawlinna ,via Balgair Station to Cocklebiddy. It is also on this site but I will send it to you if you MM with email details. Dave, who runs Belgair is about 80yo and a very nice chap who I enjoyed talking with. He pointed me through a maze of station tracks but in the end it was OxiExplorer that got me through!! Trip takes you through two stations of about a million acres each. Allow about a half day to get to the highway.
FollowupID: 416334

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 19:13

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 19:13
Just do it, if you get pulled up have Ray and Tania Kernaghans Indian Pacific song blasting out and play dumb.

And the Indian Pacific spans the land.

AnswerID: 161204

Sponsored Links