Well, that's THAT theorey out the window.

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:06
ThreadID: 31810 Views:2738 Replies:7 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
I frequent, as well as Explore Oz, two other forums, which deal with Kayaking.

Now, on this forum, we always have the banter with fridges, tyres, etc., you know where I'm coming from. On the other forums, there is also a little of that, but in different ways.

One of the age old threads that will recur, is... "Is it better to tow, or cartop my kayak?"

Well, most of the time, the answers go like this...

Cartopping:

No trailer hassles, etc....

Trailering:

Easier on your back, better fuel economy (because of no big lump on the roof), etc...

Now, note which answer the fuel economy was in, the trailer one, because you haven't got a large windforce on the roof.

Well, I frequently go up the river, in the diesel Delica, and I have made note, many times, to sit at predetermined speeds, and log my fuel economy. There is a difference over 500 km. with, and without a boat on the roof, no argument.

Enter the trailer....

Fuel economy, in one word.

Sucks.

I use heaps more fuel. The trailer & Kayaks weigh in at 250 kg. all up. This thing is a lightweight. I am guessing it is the wind resistance, eddying behind the car?

I am not complaining, I am happy with the trailer. I just wanted to point out, that in my particular case, the economy went backwards.

Just imagine how good it would be for our fuel economy, if we didn't have air...

Wolfie

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:17

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:17
Try breathing your last sentence...Wolfie LOL
AnswerID: 160979

Reply By: Rosco - Qld - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:18

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:18
Interesting point Wolfie

I usually tow the CT, however on our recent trip to the Vic high country, I went the roof rack option. I didn't do any careful checks but reckon I do better towing, as far as fuel ecconomy is concerned. Of course there's the upsides in relation to manoeuvreability and off road ability without one, but it was interesting to note the apparent differences.

Cheers cob
AnswerID: 160980

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:31

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:31
Saddest thing....

I made the damned trailer, and I somehow have to justify to Tracy the hassle of taking it!

"Oh, WOW!!! My back feels better today love.."

"Well Ian, is that because your wallet just shrunk big time, back there at the BP Roadhouse, and your spine is now even? You wanker..."

I think I need some convincing arguments from you guys, as why I should take my trailer..... please.....

Wolfie
FollowupID: 415704

Follow Up By: Rosco - Qld - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:49

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:49
Justification be damned !!!

She's a sheila right ? Albeit, a very nice one I'm sure. It's a "need to know basis" .... and she doesn't need to know.

Just tell her it works better on the trailer because of Euler's Law .. or or .. the 3rd rule of Thermodynamics .. or or E=mc*c. Take your pick. It doesn't need to be a good one ... 'cause she's a sheila, right ??

Go for it bloke.

Cheers
FollowupID: 415709

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 08:34

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 08:34
Wolfie,

The trailer, because you can carry more kayaks.

Probably only fit two on the roof, but you carry three on the trailer don't you?
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 415806

Reply By: glenno(qld) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 19:21

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 19:21
It is Traceys birthday present isnt it . I hope Tracey doesnt read this and spoil the surprise . Shhhhhhhhhh.
AnswerID: 160991

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 19:55

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 19:55
Wolfie,

This might help with Tracy.

Mate from work has a 3.0l Patrol and is always raving about fuel economy.

Last year he did a trip with a couple of mates from here (Broken Hill) to Wagga for a wedding. They decided to do a spot of fishing and camping on the way home. Nothing wrong with that. 4 guys travelling light in a Patrol but all using swags. Up on the roof no probs.

He normally gets about 1100km from a tank. That's with the family on board and an empty roof rack. On this trip he got just on 700km from the same tank of Diesel. I can get that from my 4.2TD with the trailer on, if I take it easy.

Now I know when I put the trailer on my fuel usage goes up, but not by nearly 50%

Hope it helps
Duncs
AnswerID: 161000

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:07

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:07
but Duncs,

the big issue is that he didn't need to impress the family on board, but with the need to impress the big guys, plus their weight and beer, and swags on the roof ... I can imagine a 45% hit like that.

Ciao for now
Andrew content to lift 'um foot a little longa.
FollowupID: 415721

Reply By: Member No 1- Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:49

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:49
wolfie
get a bigger 4wd drive ..one that pushes more air
that way the trailer is in the slip stream....
AnswerID: 161011

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:59

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:59
Member Number One, that is EXACTLY what I will tell her.

I understand things about laminar air flow, and stuff, and I think that I should NOT have an aerodynamic vehicle shape, at all.

I need lots of stuff, to really mess with the air, like bullbar, spotties, sidesteps, wheel flares, bonnet scoop, maybe an insect (bug) deflector, roofrack, stuff in roofrack basket, westcoater mirrors, and lotsa antennas.

Wow, pity some poor bugger coming up behind me, on the freeway, he'd die of asphyxiation, because there'd be no air for about 8 metres behind me!

This is soooo cool!

Maybe the pseudo vacuum, would also help to clean the mud off of the kayaks as well, like maybe suction, or something.

That's it, I'm goin' shoppin' tomorrow, for air damaging add on toys....

Wolfie
FollowupID: 415732

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 21:05

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 21:05
one other thing about having a bigger car.......meaning you'll never notice the small difference the trailer (or what ever) does to the fuel economy
FollowupID: 415735

Follow Up By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 23:30

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 23:30
Careful Wolfie,

I've read your posting to Kerry - a sort of prelaunch testing for you. She gave me one of those looks. You know the ones - 'who are you trying to kid'. I think Tracy is probably well practiced.... just be careful mate, be very careful - she might see through your scheme. Dunno how they do it, sigh, but they do. ... Kerry gets me every time. .....

Geez for example I'm spending nothing on fuel - vege oil - and I get the look - 'is it really worth it?' as a scrabble around with filters, leaky pipes, oily hair. Caus it's worth it love, caus it is.

Sigh.....

Tim
FollowupID: 415765

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 08:18

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 08:18
It's all good Tim.

You see, it's HER car!

She's STILL trying to get me to make the enclosure for the weapon Sub Woofer in the rear, she's a real tomboy.

Wolfie
FollowupID: 415804

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 22:12

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 22:12
Ian,

Which way do you carry your kayaks, up side down of right way up. That would make a difference.
If the kayak was right way up then air will flow over the top and into the cockpit. This will cause drag. If it was up side down then the air will fallout so less drag.

I once carried a 21ft long Kevlar open Canadian racing canoe. It was right way up and when we stayed the night at a motel it rained. The canoe filled with water. Good thing that it had a venture which when I opened it up allowed the water to flow out. At the time I had a Nissan Urvan,and you think that your fuel consumption was bad.

My days of racing canoes are long gone, but I still have a racing C1 that I made out of Western Red Cedar. I have kept it because I made it, my first attempt at making a canoe out of timber.

Wayne
AnswerID: 161029

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 07:46

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 07:46
Wayne, we always tote them, on either the car, or trailer, upside down, as the gunwales are more rigid, and we have less deformation on hot days.

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 415798

Reply By: OLDMAGPIE - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 23:15

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 23:15
what do you need a kayak for?>
AnswerID: 161048

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 00:11

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 00:11
Great survival equipment .

Just imagine you broke down in the desert , you have run out of food and have no communications . Problem solved ! You just paddle out , spear a seal or small walrus and you can be sustained until help arrives.

Or maybe you could paddle for help.

9/10 arctic countries cant be wrong !
FollowupID: 415779

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 07:49

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 07:49
Kayaking for us is just a blast. I live in Adelaide, so waterways are not an issue, and I frequent the Murray River every fortnight.

I still love my desert trips, which I look forward to in the winters.

With our kayaking weekends, we simply set up camp, and use that as our base, and paddle out each day, for a few hours. Come in, have a rest, and do it all again, until it's dark.

Very tiring, but very satisfying, and cheap, too.

Wolfie
FollowupID: 415799

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:25

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:25
Ian,

Just to digress a little.
Have you been out to Katarapko Creek, near Barmera / Berrie / Loxton?

Seems to be a bit of a "Mecca" for paddler's.

I discovered a great camping spot in the Katarapko National Park, camp site No 2 I think. Right on the junction of Katarapko Creek and another tributary and about a click or so downcreek (can't say downriver) from a small barrage. We were there for about 4 days and on the Sunday, a group of paddler's appeared from the tributary and stopped at the juction. The leader came across to us and asked about access into the Park, as many of the roads were still closed due to heavy rain in the preceding weeks. After assuring him the access track into camp area 2 was OK, he then called up the support crew on his mobile for them to pick them up from this point.

Oh, and to give out a little secret, the fishing is pretty good at the barrage. All you need is a tinnie, (or kayak/Canoe).
There is an access point to the barrage and most people drive in and fish from the northern bank, but with a watercraft, you get to choose your spot away from them (and the snags) and as well as the normal Carp, there is a good percentage of Callop to be had.

I got really excited the first evening we were there. Bev went for a walk and returned promptly saying there were fish splashing in the shallows.
With delusions of "trout on the barbie" and getting the fly rod out of the rod holder tube, I went to investigate, only to find the fish were in fact, Carp, rising to insects along the grassy bank of the tributary creek. I had never seen or heard of this before from fish such as Carp. Had a bit of sport, flyfishing for Carp (just for the practice) and wading through the shallows with my "priest" looped on my wrist, hunting those feral fish in just 4 to 6 inches of water. They were a good size too. Did my best to take as many of the mongrels out of the river system as possible.

Anyway, it is a great little spot, only a couple of hours from Adelaide for those who want to "chill out" for a while.
The only "problem" with those "pesky" paddler's, was that Bev and I were practising good hygiene and skinnydipping (frequently) in the creek.
(we were the only campers in that area)

What a site it would have been, if we were "caught out".

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 415819

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:42

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:42
Shhhhh Those spots are kept secret from the likes of Wolfie.
People start queing up for weeks just to get those campsites and there is no fires aloud and the mosquitoes are just awesome.
The Jehova's are as thick as the mossies and have very high success rates and once your converted you have to sell the 4WD and spend all weekends at their centres and door knocking.
PS Wolfie carry the yaks on top of the Mosteria Deliciosa and I'll give you $500 for the trailer.
FollowupID: 415830

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 17:02

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 17:02
Sand Man.

Katty creek is awesome!

Des Lexic & I paddled there last weekend. Tracy & I camped for four days, at number 8.

Wolfie
FollowupID: 415906

Sponsored Links