Barramundi tackle

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 18:40
ThreadID: 31812 Views:6458 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
We are going fishing for barramundi next weekend - with lures (in a Lake).
Last time, used 12lb line and was broken off every time.
Used my favourite estury rod, with a 6½" alvey drag reel.
If you have actually fished and caught these fighters, I
would appreciate your suggestions of type of tackle needed - eg line strength, leader and reel type. They attack so fast, the reel and rod do not have time to react.
Appreciate suggestions..................Keith
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 19:39

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 19:39
Keith ,

You need a baitcast reel with 30-50 lb braid on it . You will never need that strength but the diameters below this breaking strain get a bit hard to deal with .

If you are going to be casting more than trolling , I would suggest you get a low profile reel such as a Shimano Curado - it's what most of the guides use in the N.T.
I just tried out a new low profile baitcaster in November made by Okuma . The drag was better than the Shimano and it wqas brilliant to use and cheaper too.

If you will be trolling more than casting , then I would get a classic round style baitcast reel which will hold more line than the low profile and probably cost a lot less . Actually , I can sell you some nice ones for $50 which would do the trick , a rod as well for another $50 , but I do't know how I would send a rod . I have got so much barra gear , I don't know what to do with it .

You need a 5'6" graphite rod rated for 8 KG or maybe 10 KG if your a strong fella and you want to stop them getting to the snags .

Cheers ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 160996

Follow Up By: Keith_A (Qld) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:00

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:00
HI WIllie - thanks for the offer.
Given the time frame (and budget), I will have to risk the spinning reels
I already own, but will think about your offer.
I've never used a baitcast reel. Probably about time I got something decent. If I am unlucky, my 2 spinning reels will probably be destroyed
by some monster on this trip, so I may have to give you a call.
......Keith
FollowupID: 415808

Reply By: OLLY - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 19:46

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 19:46
Mate. Our local barra spot is Lake Awoonga and for the last 2-3 years has been producing some of the biggest impoundment barra in Australia, some of these horses are well over a meter in length and anywhere from 20-30kg. I know blokes who are using their mackeral rigs ie 40-60 pound mono or braid on an overhead real with 100 pound leader with basically a rod that resembles a broom handle, and their still looseing fish. Personally I like the challenge of catching large fish on light gear, My set up is a 5600 Ambassadore real on a 6ft Ugly Stik rod with about 100 yards of 40lb mono on the spool first then I fill the spool with 40lb braid with a meter of 60lb mono leader. The lure of choice for me are the Predateck Vipers they dive to about 4mtrs. I have a range of colours. Mind you not all my lures are Vipers but anything from 100mm long and over should do the trick to catch the big fellas. If your fishing from a boat, when trolling we have found that the best speed is the slowest, we have the boat just in gear with no throttle (just idleing).
I hope all this crap helps, It may not be the right way to do it but it's my way and it's worked so far.
Good luck on the weekend

Olly
AnswerID: 160998

Follow Up By: Keith_A (Qld) - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:56

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 20:56
Hi Olly - yes that is where we are headed - Awoonga.
Plan to stay at the caravan park.
Taking the camper, and will hire a boat.
Intend to just cast into the inlets, and fish for the smaller barra.
I don't suppose there is any way to just invite the under 10kgs to the party? I am tired of getting busted by the big stuff.
regards..............Keith
FollowupID: 415731

Follow Up By: OLLY - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 21:43

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 21:43
Keith. I've never tried to target the little ones I'm just happy to catch them all. In saying that if you stick to the shallower depths in amonst the timber you should lessen your chance of a bigger fish ( but there are the execptions to that rule.) We've caught all our Meter plus fish in the deeper water along the old water course of the boyne river. You can see them on the sounder hanging in the water column from 2mtrs all the way down to 22mtrs. If you troll past the green bouy about 500 yards (south) from the original boat ramp in an east west direction from the dam wall you'll be fairly close to the old river course. People reckon they've got their secret spots and maybe they do but theres not to many places on the dam that haven't had a lure cast in, so it just depends on your luck for that day. Have fun..cause i'll be at work.

Olly
FollowupID: 415742

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 08:51

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 08:51
G'day Olly,

Sorry to but in guys but heading north and passing late September. Is that too early for Barra? I suppose it depends on the water temp, any idea what it needs to be for barra to wake up from their winter slumber.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 415807

Follow Up By: OLLY - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 08:03

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 08:03
Hi Beatit,

Yeah the water temp may still be a bit low in September but in saying that it all depends on how cool a winter we have. The higher the water temp and atmospheric pressure the better they come on the chew. A work collegue went out last weekend and got 4 around a meter and I asked him what the water temp was and he told me it was about 20-21 deg C, I thought it may be a bit cool as we've had some cool weather and rain over the last couple of weeks which has dropped the temp but it hasn't affected the barra. So I reckon if your going past later in the year call in and have a look.

Cheers
OLLY
FollowupID: 416184

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 09:40

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 09:40
G'day Olly,

Sounds like some nice fishing and great info, thanks. Won't hurt to stop and have a look - we'll just keep an eye open on the temperatures.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 416339

Reply By: mattlobie - Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 23:46

Thursday, Mar 16, 2006 at 23:46
I use an Abu Garcia 6500 overhead reel and mathcing Abu rod. I've been catching barra with it lately and it's got good quality 15lb mono on it. That line won't catch monsters but it'll catch decent, legal barra as long as your knots are good. I'd rather have 20lb braid on it but it's expensive. 20lb braid will handle most legal barra (it's breaking strain is usually much more than 20lb).

Be careful if you're going to put heavy braid on a baitcaster. You've gotta know when to bail out because if you hook something big enough you'll rip the guts out of the reel well before the line will break. I've seen it happen and it would not be a good feeling to destroy a $150+ reel like that.

Proven lures: gold Bombers and blue/white Nilsmasters.

matt
AnswerID: 161058

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 07:40

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 07:40
They make the breaking strain higher than stated because the knots weaken it so much .
If you rip the guts out of a reel you haven't set the drag properly or it's a crap reel .
FollowupID: 415797

Follow Up By: mattlobie - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 10:42

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 10:42
Exactly, that's why I said you have to be careful.

matt
FollowupID: 415844

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:43

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 09:43
Don't forget to include a lure retreiver in your tackle kit. They cost about the same as a Barra lure. I have retreived countless fouled lures from the deep and even a couple from land based, lure sucking, bushes.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 161096

Sponsored Links