Camp Oven cooking using old frypan

Submitted: Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:03
ThreadID: 31842 Views:5406 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Heard about using an old frypan for a base for a camp oven , and would be interested to see if anyone on forum uses this and, if so , would like some tips.

Pedro
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bouncer (WA) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:52

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:52
Hi Peter R,
I went to the Caravan and Camping Show here in Perth yesterday and there was a cooking display on by Tommo The Camp Oven Cook, he is a laugh a minute.

He uses the frypan technic and I can tell you I will be from now on, works a treat. Here is a excerpt from his book that I bought (It's well worth the 10 -15 bucks) this describes the use of heat beads but you can us coals.

Quote:

Once you have acquired your old frypan , cover the inside with aluminium foil, shiny side up to reflect the heat on to the camp oven. Now place about 1/4 of a bag of easy heat beads in the frypan and light them up. Put the same amount on the lid of the camp oven and light them also. Wait until the heat beads burn down and start to go white. Now place the camp oven on top of the ones in the frypan, sit the lid on and wait 10 minutes to pre-heat the campoven and your ready to cook.
After you have finished cooking just tip all of the heat beads into the frypan and pour water on them to put them out. Stand well back as they will spit a bit.

End Quote.

He told us that the above technic can be used in areas where there are fire bans on, but check with local authorities first and always use extra care and common sense in such circumstances.

AnswerID: 161171

Follow Up By: Member - Bouncer (WA) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:57

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:57
Oh P.S. He uses a wire rack (Cake rack) in the bottom of the camp oven, it prevents burning and allows heat to circulate inside the oven for more even cooking.
FollowupID: 415902

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 17:54

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 17:54
He's quite wrong about the fireban thing.

Technically (in Victoria and probably other states) you shouldn't even use a gas stove in the bush on days of Total Fire Ban - although I must admit I do - however I would not light Heat Beads or any other type of fire on those days just too risky.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 415917

Follow Up By: Member - Bouncer (WA) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 18:41

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 18:41
Hi Mike,
Don't mean to start an argument here ( I do agree with you when you say not to use anything such as heat beads in a fire ban ) however Tommo assured everybody at the show that he rang the state firebrigade and the park ranger and they said that as long as it was being used to cook food, in a clearing, he put it out straight after and it was far from any combustible material ther was no problem. Only going on what he said and I don't see any reason for him to lie about it.

FollowupID: 415935

Follow Up By: Member - Bouncer (WA) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 18:44

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 18:44
Also the fact that he is a TV celeb and was doing a demonstration may have had something to do with it.
FollowupID: 415937

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 19:08

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 19:08
>Only going on what he said and I don't see any reason
>for him to lie about it.

Oh I'm sure he wasn't but there may have been some confusion further down the chain - or I may be wrong in regard to the regs. in WA? But I'm certain that in Victoria (and 99.9% for NSW) lighting heat beads in the bush on a day of TBF would be illegal and, frankly, not sensible.

Maybe WA has different levels of "fire ban" and it would be OK to use heat beads on some days but not other - I don't know???

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 415958

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 18:55

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 18:55
Mike you are spot on regarding fire bans, basically any naked flame and that includes your gas fired BBQ out in the open are banned during the Prohibited Period. Heat beads would also come into this category.

Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 416117

Reply By: pauljohnston - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:54

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:54
Don't know about an old frypan, but a wok with a lid works fairly well. I have also used it to smoke chicken. Just put some saw dust in the bottom pit in the steamer rack that comes with them, pop on the lid and away you go. They tend to cost a lot less than "proper" ones from the camping shop, and can still be used for the stir fry etc that you usually use your wok for.

Hope that helps.

Paul.
AnswerID: 161172

Reply By: michael42 - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:58

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:58
My wife saw this technique at Rosehill one year. The hardest part was finding an old fryingpan. When we sold the caravan we had an old Sunbeam so I grabbed that. Have used this method several times, both camping and at home. The other weekend a group of us had a bit of a campoven cookoff at Hill End, some spent the afternoon gathering wood, getting coals ready, another had a gas version, we used the frying pan. All the methods worked, but the pan version is a lot easier with heat beads. Just make sure you use a quality brand of heat bead, some of the no-name ones just don't come up to scratch.

It's easy to clean, once out and cold, drop the ashes in the rubbish bag ready forthe trip home. I was asked once where I expected to plug it in when someone spotted it in the cooking box. I told them no problems, I can still cook a roast in it.

Cheers,

Michael
AnswerID: 161174

Reply By: Mike Harding - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 19:10

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 19:10
I have to say it people: heat beads are cheating! :)

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 161203

Follow Up By: Member - Stillthinkinaboutit - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 16:34

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 16:34
But, hey !
They work !
Have found them to be quite useful when you can't find decent timber to produce coals.

Regards,
Mark
FollowupID: 416093

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 20:50

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 20:50
Thanks to all who replied.

The frypan base seems a good idea and I guess to put out the heat beads it would only be a matter of putting on the lid. Have an old frypan so will give it a go

Paulj, re the Wok , do you use anything special to heat it?

Pedro

AnswerID: 161227

Follow Up By: pauljohnston - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 21:03

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 21:03
Just the usual, coals, gas stove, etc.
FollowupID: 415985

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 08:19

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 08:19
Hmmm,

Sounds like a lot of heat beads for the top of the Oven.

I cannot see the need for the frypan when camping.
Just a shallow scoop in the earth is all one needs, fill with heat beads, or coals if a fire has been burning and place the oven on top.

I cheat sometimes though, if I don't have sufficient time to wait for the heat beads to be burning evenly.

My Hillbilly has a gas ring attachment which you can use top, or bottom, so I can have the Camp Oven "smoking" while others are still waiting for the heat beads to brown over.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 161292

Reply By: bruce - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 10:32

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 10:32
We have an old frypan (2 actually...bought of neighbor for $2) that has a removable electric element on the bottom...very heavy machine...just unscrew element and use as a normal camp oven...works a treat
AnswerID: 161312

Sponsored Links