Steinbauer P-Box

Submitted: Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:53
ThreadID: 31845 Views:8784 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I had a Dtronic in my series III 3ltr GU Patrol transfered it to my series VI GU and was happy with it until I read about the Steinbauer P-Box. I sold the dtronic and brought a P-box what a great decision. Am I Happy you bet, I'm stoked. It drives so much better. This is not to say that the Dtronic is not a great unit but my feeling is the Steinbauer P-Box is better. I have no connection with any of these companys. Its just seat of the pants driveable feelings. My comparison after using both units.
200 Series V8 Diesel
Thanks for the Rest Flying West and Flying Very Low along the track not coming back. The Crow

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nobby - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:57

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 16:57
Hey Crow, give us some details on this gadget. How much, where do you get them, what are the benefits etc. I have a Prado TDI and would be interested. Thanks Nobby
AnswerID: 161173

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 17:15

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 17:15
A quick Google found www.steinbauer.com.au
FollowupID: 415909

Follow Up By: Member - The Crow (QLD) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 18:43

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 18:43
They are$1300 Plus fitting. More power and torque and you may get better fuel economy if you don't have a heavy foot. You can Phone Andrew at Diesel Care Toowoomba on 0746989350 he will be able to tell you the agents or check out their site as above.
200 Series V8 Diesel
Thanks for the Rest Flying West and Flying Very Low along the track not coming back. The Crow

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 415936

Reply By: jorgejhandal - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 07:11

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 07:11
what about engine reliability,? does this chip protect the engine like dtronic or justs puts more fuel and boost into the engine?
AnswerID: 161286

Follow Up By: Member - The Crow (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 10:33

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 10:33
Is a guarantee issued on the STEINBAUER-PBox?

For our STEINBAUER P-Box we exclusively use high-quality components, therefore we issue a 3 years’ guarantee to exchange units - appropriate usage and correct installation provided.

Does the power enhancement have a negative impact on the engine?

The power enhancement of the STEINBAUER P-Box is clearly perceptibly for the driver of the tuned car, although the enhancement is within the power reserve of engine, gearbox etc.
That means you can enjoy the improved performance of your car with no effect on its longevity and long term reliability.

Are there some particularities for vehicles with automatic-transmission?

No, you can use the STEINBAUER P-Box also for vehicles with automatic-transmission.

Does the fuel consumption increase??

You have to consider a low increase of fuel consumption in case of a pretty fast driving (between 0.3 and 1 ltr. at maximum depending on type of vehicle and weight).

If you maintain your manner of driving (also when you are using the power enhancement, in case of overtaking for example), you can expect the same or in some cases even a lower fuel consumption.

Is it possible to undo the tuning?

Yes it is, after unplugging the P-Box the car is at its original condition.

Do I have to shorten the service intervals?

The standard service intervals remain unchanged.

Is it possible to turn off the power enhancement?

Yes it is. With an optional remote control you can also turn off the STEINBAUER P-Box while you are driving.
Check out their site for all futher questions.

200 Series V8 Diesel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 416069

Reply By: Member - Silverfox (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 23:01

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 23:01
I had a P-Box fitted late in 2005. I am still collecting data on its economy. However my L/C100TD is not less and so far showing a very modest increase in fuel economy. I had the P-Box fitted with more torque to tow a 3+tonne van in mind. There is certainly more torque and power. One reason for more fuel use is the temptation to use the power improvement unnecessarilly when not towing. I have been advised by diesel mechanics that a more efficient exhaust system will give more economy and possibly more power. Quotes have been from $850 - $1100. The other improvements I added was a 'K & N' air filter and snorkel. These were recommended by a diesel mechanic too. Early days but looks like my research and choice on a better ECUs was ok. It would appear T "dumb down" the L/C to comply with various international polution requirements. Power and torque are the collateral damage. O 4 a commonrail v6 5 litre DOHC TD so we don't have to do so much after market stuff. Where's my fairy godmother gone?
AnswerID: 161427

Follow Up By: jorgejhandal - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 01:44

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 01:44
watch out for the k&n it lets lots of dust into the engine, and it doesnt last much about 20000 kms and you still have to clean it normally I had mine in my patrol and took it off
FollowupID: 416175

Sponsored Links