Cameron Cnr and beyond

Submitted: Friday, Jan 31, 2003 at 22:29
ThreadID: 3185 Views:1901 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Planning a trip to Cameron Corner and beyond during second week of May, so would appreciate any feedback on what we might expect as far as road conditions, e.g. sand hills/dunes etc

1.Cameron Corner to Merty Merty & down to Montecollina where we plan to camp overnight; then on to Balcanoona and Arkaroola.
2.Balcanoona to Leigh Creek; and
3.Blinman to Wilpena.

Planning to go second week of May this year and understand weather plays a big part. Will camp overnight at Montecollina and then Arkaroola for a few days, also at Wilpena. Any comments and "must sees" appreciated. Many thanks, Jinki
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chapo - Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 07:50

Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 07:50
G'day Jinki,
You will have no trouble with the road it is well formed and when I came through there recently seemed well maintained.
We camped at Montecollina bore which started out beautiful with a swim in the bore and magnificent birdlife but ended up with a horrific dust storm lasting all night which filled my swag with sand.
When in the Flinders I suggest you head a little south of Arkaroola for at least one night and camp at Chambers Gorge,absolutely beautiful scenery,great camping spots,heaps of wildlife and walking tracks. I can also suggest the Blinman pub for a meal or a swim in their indoor heated pool! Then head through Glass Gorge to Angorachina,beautiful drive along the creekbed.Brachina Gorge also a very scenic drive.
Regards,
Chapo
AnswerID: 12326

Follow Up By: Jinki - Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 08:13

Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 08:13
Hi Chapo

Thanks for your input, sounds wonderful. Found Chambers Gorge on the map last night and decided it looks to be worth at least an overnight camp stop.

Will be heading from Broken Hill to Tibooburra and then Cameron Corner and beyond and return to BH from Peterborough. We are leaving our caravan stored at Broken Hill whilst we do this trip. Have planned about 2 weeks - do you think this is enough time, as we could allow a few more days if necessary..

Then heading back to Cobar and northwards to eventually arrive in Karumba mid June for 10 weeks of fishing - just hoping plenty of fish biting. Whilst at Karumba will also do an off road trip to Burketown and possibly Hell's Gate, depending on road conditions, last year we went to Lawn Hill which was absolutely beautiful.

Thanks again for you help,
Two grey nomads
Jinki & Harry
FollowupID: 7137

Reply By: Member - Mike - Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 12:58

Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 12:58
Jinki, Hi. Flinders is my back yard. Agree with all comments so far.
You may not be aware that SA has what are called Public Access Routes (PARs). This allows authorised 4WD through pastoral leases etc and is very worthwhile driving etc. There is now a leaflet put out by SA Dept. of Environment on this. Close to Blinman off Glass's Gorge are two very good ones a)to Artimore, and b) to Nucalleena Mine.
Flinders Ranges now also have 6 4WD pay as you go treks through magnificent country. If you have difficulty getting this info let me know through Exploroz and I can assist.
Regards
Mike
PS I would think about an extra week in this area!!!!

AnswerID: 12337

Sponsored Links