Paraphernalia and airbag deployment/disabling

Submitted: Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 22:52
ThreadID: 31854 Views:2409 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I'm jack of running the laptop maps and GPS whilst the laptop bounces around on the navigator's lap ...

So out to the parts bin where I found the air-lift and it's seat bracket from an old office chair

Got out some cardboard and crafted the template for a bracket that locks in alongside the centre console and is located by the passenger seat bolt and locator pin ... off to Metal Fabricators to with the template and home I come with my wonderful little bracket.

Pick up a few bits of offcut HDPE, a few nuts, bolts, screws, velcro, tape, sewing ..

and ... hey presto! The laptop stand is made and fits - goes up and down, swivels left and right - has perfect angle on it ... everything's fine. Driver and navigator can use it, it doesn't fowl on anything, and I'm happy as a pig in ...

But ... sometimes the laptop will be in the direct path of the passenger airbag which might not be a good idea.

So I figure I could disconnect the sensor on the passenger side seat (it's a LC100 GXL) which I think will stop the airbag deploying ... perhaps even put a switch on it right by the laptop stand bracket so that when I take the stand off the bracket I'm reminded to switch off the airbag.

Is this what the sensor in the seat does? Is this doable? Is it legal to disconnect the plug or to add the switch?

If this doesn't work, can I just disconnect the airbag by disconnecting the plug behind the panel in the RH top corner of the glove compartment?

Thoughts? Ideas? Recommendations?

Andrew
PS - I'm rather attached to it, it works so well, so keeping it is probably part of any "solution" I choose ;-)
PPS - I'll post pictures and plans soon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 23:18

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 23:18
Quote: [Is it legal to disconnect the plug or to add the switch?]

Of course not!

If you had an accident with the airbag disabled, & somebody was injured, you would be paying for it for the rest of your life.
It would be a lot cheaper to just go & buy an in car nav system, they start at about $600.00.
AnswerID: 161261

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 23:22

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 23:22
Hi Andrew,

I would not be de-activating the airbag under any circumstances.

Just my view but I think that if a vehicle has them, then any accessory that is added to that car should not diminish the ability of the airbags to work.

I have seen them deployed in numerous traffic accidents I have gone to and they can help reduce injury.

Just my 2 bob's worth.

Have a good weekend.
AnswerID: 161263

Reply By: Exploder - Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 23:31

Friday, Mar 17, 2006 at 23:31
I am by no means a expert on this matter, but unplugging anything thing to do with a SRS system will trigger a fault code and it will be registered and the little light on the dash will flash at you for a bit then stay illuminated. The bag/bags may or may not still deploy.
, The little SRS error light will stay on till you have the codes cleared, If Toyota are anything like ford they will charge you $50 to clear it, as they did with me and now 2 weeks later the bloody light is flashing at me agene.

It may also be illegal to play around with such a system and may cause insurance problems.

Possibly contact Toyota to see if it is possible to disable the passenger airbag or remove the system.

Removing the SRS sensors on the front of the car and pulling the fuse will stop the bags from deploying, once agene the hole legality issue.
AnswerID: 161265

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 05:47

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 05:47
I think you are looking for trouble there.....with insurance claims and roadworthy problems. Why don't you get a touch screen and put the lappy under the seat
AnswerID: 161278

Reply By: Qlddisco - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 06:25

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 06:25
think i,ll stick to saying to the mrs >>> HERE GIVE US THE BLOODY THING IF YA CANT READ IT !!!! insurance guys will just b rapt with your idea !!!!
AnswerID: 161282

Reply By: Beemer - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 09:09

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 09:09
I spend a lot of my time cutting trapped people out of cars, Ive seen seats bound together with rope and 4x2, and other ridiculous things people do to cars, don't place yourself in that category. Air bags do save lives and those who think they will never be in a road crash are living in a world of fantasy. Air bags are placed in different areas of the vehicle to help protect a victim. Side impact is all to common and SRS bags reduce some of injuries that can occur.
But then if you consider your lap top to be worth more than your life..................

just my thoughts

AnswerID: 161299

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 09:29

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 09:29
My brakes were noisy so I took the rotors out. Problem fixed.

But seriously, the airbag would only go off in an accident where it is needed.
Does that answer your question?

R.
AnswerID: 161302

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 18:45

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 18:45
"the airbag would only go off in an accident"

Hahahahaha not necessarily so

Watch the driver
FollowupID: 416114

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 09:45

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 09:45
Thanks everyone.

I should clarify - It is only for occasional use - admittedly usually in challenging terrain.

A laptop is much more flexible than an incar nav system - I have the laptop and GPS anyway.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
AnswerID: 161305

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 15:09

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 15:09
Why dont you just get a PDA and use that in lieu of the laptop, works a treat
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 416088

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 15:25

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 15:25
I have that in mind Bonz when the funds allow.

Based on the strength of the advice (thanks guys for keeping me sane) I'll keep the laptop for when there are no front seat passengers.

Ciao for now
Andrew sorry he didn't think through the airbag implications first.
FollowupID: 416089

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 16:51

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 16:51
Hey Andrew don't be sorry you didnt think mate, just dont be sorry you didnt think to ask
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 416095

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 09:43

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 09:43
Andrew
your a bloody genius...where does the Co-Driver sit..????
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 161465

Sponsored Links