DIESEL SMOKE

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 19:52
ThreadID: 31877 Views:2038 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I HAVE AN 80 SERIES WITH THE 1HZ. I USED RX SUPER OIL AND IT USED TO USE ABOUT 600-1000ML BETWEEN SERVICES. WHEN I TOOK OF AT THE LIGHTS IT WOULD LET OUT A PUFF OF WHAT LOOKED LIKE TO METO BE BLUE SMOKE. IT ONLY SEEM TO DO IT UNDER LOAD WHEN FIRST TAKING OFF. I HAVE SINCE HAD A TURBO FITTED. WHEN I GOT THE CAR BACK AFTER THE TURBO WAS FITTED IT DIDNT BLOW ANY SMOKE OR USE ANY OIL. THEY CHANGED THE OIL WHEN THEY FITTED THE TURBO .THEY USED A CASTROL OIL SIMILAR TO RX SUPER.I HAVE DONE JUST OVER 5000KMS SINCE THE TURBO WAS FITTED AND IT HAS STARTED TO BLOW THE SMOKE AGAIN. ANY IDEAS?. COULD IT BE THE MIXTURES ORTUNING? I CHANGED THE OIL AND AIR FILTER TODAY USING CASTROL GTX DIESEL. NO BLOODY DIFFERENT. CAN ANY BODY HELP? I AM IN ADELAIDE THANKS. ALSO WHAT BOOST WOULD YOU RUN ? THANKS AGAIN
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 120scruiser - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 20:20

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 20:20
Absolute max boost of 8lb
I would err on the side of caution and set it to 6lb. Also fit an EGT guage and no higher EGT than 500 degrees if the probe is fitted after the turbine.
Can't help with the smoke.
How many km?
Sounds like leaking valve stem seals to me.
Cheers
120scruiser
AnswerID: 161391

Follow Up By: 001 CHIPPY - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 20:25

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 20:25
MOTOR HAS DONE ABOUT 80000KMS
FollowupID: 416131

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 20:33

Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 20:33
Hi there Chippy,

I'm in Adelaide too ... you might like to try this:

1. run B100 from SAFF if you are anywhere near Pooraka or Martin's Plaza

failing that

2. run B20 or Premium Diesel available at all other SAFF outlets.

Just a little Biodiesel in your mix (even just 5%) will improve your combustion and reduce your emissions - and probably look after your engine better.

If you're going to run Biodiesel long term, you'll have to check and probably replace your fuel filter after the first few tanks.

Ciao for now
Andrew - I'd be taking the folks who fitted the turbo to task to get them to give some advice too.
AnswerID: 161393

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 08:56

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 08:56
Hi Andrew
Yes i would agree about the filter change, was listening to the radio couple days back and they were discussing Bio Diesel, seems it comes from fats and cooking oils so yeh ......could be a few McDonalds Fries in it, Another Post here on the forum was that someone said his 4x4 was gutless when using Bio,I don't think i will be using it if i can avoid it.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 416189

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 14:08

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 14:08
The filter change doesn't come from dirt in the Biodiesel.

It "comes from" waste veggie oil in much the same way as you don't find dinosaur teeth in your dino diesel!

The biodiesel does tend to release the sediments built up in your fuel system from years of dino diesel, and a blocked filter won't help your performance.

Cetane rating of Biodiesel is similar and often better than Dinodiesel and it burns more efficiently.

I always run on Bio except when I can't avoid it.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 416223

Sponsored Links