Porta Bote

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 21:51
ThreadID: 31912 Views:5574 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are interested in buying a porta bote. Are they easy to get hold of in Australia. They seem a great idea instead of a tinny. Would appreciate any opinions from people who have one.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 22:18

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 22:18
A mate of mine (member of our 4x4 club) has one and it's the ducks guts!!! Muddy Doe (also a member of same 4x4 club) is going to get one too.

They are very stable on the water although a little strange when you first ride in one as the floor tends to flex under your feet.

Very manouverable, but we haven't had it out it out in really rough/choppy seas; I think it's ideally suited for calmer waters.

I'm not a boatie, but this is what I'd be getting if I needed a little run-about.

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 161584

Reply By: glenno(qld) - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 23:18

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 23:18
I thought i saw this porta bote on the new inventors last year . Or am i dreaming again .
AnswerID: 161594

Reply By: traveller2 - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 08:15

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 08:15
Funnily enough I am just about to list mine in the trader section.
12 foot, sail kit, 2.2hp Merc (4hpTohatsu outboard, badge engineering!) has been sitting unused in the garage for the last five years, outboard has had about 15hrs work total but needs a new pump impeller.
Not quite yet ready for sale as I want to fix the outboard and clean the dust off, but if anyone is interested let me know.
AnswerID: 161615

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:04

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:04
Hi Traveller.
I know someone who may be interested can you post a photo,price and location (SYD,MEL,BRIS....)

Regards J,B.
FollowupID: 416536

Reply By: stevesub - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 09:05

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 09:05
A friend has a PortaBote and is very pleased with it. He bought it for when he does the Big Trip (if he ever does the trip). Only problem when using it as a day to day boat is that it is a pain in the butt when you get to the beach and you have to cart the boat and all the bits for it plus fishing gear, anchor, oars, motor, lifejackets, etc from the 4WD to the water.

OK when you are in their 20's OK but for someone nearing retirement age and not fit, he finds it a problem.

He now assembles it at home and takes it to the water on a trailer at a boat ramp. I also don't like the idea of a wet boat dripping salt water over my vehicle.

However if you are touring with a caravan long term, it is the way to go.

Stevesub
AnswerID: 161620

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 13:17

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 13:17
I have trout fished out of one and it was great considering how easy it was to transport .

I am not so sure that it would be good for the big trip around Australia though , as the estuary wind chop and the crocs would make it very marginal in the tropics .

Cheers ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 161673

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 14:36

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 14:36
G'day Willie,

I think your on the money. Last time I was on the Cape I saw a large croc reading one of thos portabote instruction booklet he was on the dismantle chapter and seemed to be laughing.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 416384

Reply By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 20:42

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 20:42
search on 'portabote' for plenty of opinions

distributer is in Syd -will freight anywhere

best advice is to buy the smaller one - 10ft. Lighter and easier to handle which is important for a portable item. 12ft and 14ft are too cumbersome.
they are not for open water like a decent tinnie but do the job for dams, creeks and still water areas.

unbreakable, light, easy to clean and store and always there when you need it. carrying the outboard is the biggest hassle, lives on the camper trailer at the moment.

can be a pain to put together sometimes but I still wouldn't buy a tinne and we have a boat at the ready.

good for touring especially wind drag but if you're not, buy a tinnie and trailer or roof loader.

we also carry an inflatable Kayak for streams and gorges etc.
cheers
John

AnswerID: 161758

Follow Up By: traveller2 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 14:21

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 14:21
We've had our 12 footer 'outside' quite few times, very stable and if you don't use it on a trip it creates no more wind drag on top than a surfboard.
I'll get some pics together on the weekend, boat is in Sydney.
FollowupID: 416565

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 14:44

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 14:44
Pretty sure I saw someone using one at Kalumburu last August/Sept but just can't get comfortable with the notion of me in one of those with crocs and sharks up there.

Just a gut feeling only. Swing a reef shark into the tinnie, knock him on the head with the wacker no problem and if I miss then at worse a dent in the gunnel. Before anyone points out the futility of this I hasten to add that it was only serving as bait for the real sharks later in the afternoon.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 416568

Sponsored Links