100 series transmission noise

Submitted: Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:58
ThreadID: 31932 Views:1664 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Mob,

My 2002 hundred series 1HZ diesel seems to make a lot of noise in the transmission when travelling at low speeds. Has anyone had similar problems?
It sounds almost like vibration but its hard to tell. The truck may have been badly bogged at some stage given the amount of mud I found encasing the sub-tank sender on the weekend so I'm worried it may have had or does have water in the transmission. Hopefully not.

DD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 13:15

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 13:15
Ok, it sounds like you are describing a common noise that all 1hz diesel gearboxes make...when you labour the motor, the box sort of rattles...the springs in the clutxch do this,,,,, so drop the oil, and have it anylised to see if there is any wear...your box is a light duty one ib a 1hz hundred (same as prado) unless it is auto, then it gets the beffy a442f as in all cruisers b4 the 5 speed.
Once you have dropped the oil, you will know more.
If u havnt already, do the diffs aswell.
Andrew
AnswerID: 161672

Follow Up By: diesel dyke - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 13:24

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 13:24
Thanks Andrew. Mine has 72K on it. I just took another one that we have here at work for a drive and it has 50K on it. No where near as much noise, although it is there, but then it has had a pretty easy life on the black top. Will book her in and get all the oils changed over.
FollowupID: 416377

Sponsored Links