Cape York in a Suzuki

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 11:04
ThreadID: 3194 Views:2560 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just thinking about taking the wifes 2002 Suzuki V6 Grand Vitara up the cape in June. If we go it would be in the company of 3-4 more capable cars ie patrol and 2 x cruisers. Here are my questions has anyone seen similar type cars up there before and how did they go? Our car at present is pretty stock except for a 2 inch lift and a UHF. If we decided to go ahead I would look at getting decent tyres a snorkle, dual battery system and a bash plate, anything I missed? Is this trip at all possible in our car or am I just about to embark on a mission that will end in disaster?
Awaiting your thoughts
AK
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: EXTREME1 - Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 11:33

Saturday, Feb 01, 2003 at 11:33
AK when we were up there in 2001 we saw about three suzuki sierras heading to the tip. My advice is make sure you've got some decent tyres, shocks and springs a snorkle is handy and a good bash plate (just in case).

cheers Duncan..

p.s every day check for loose nuts and bolts, takes 10 minutes and can save you alot of trouble and money down the track.
AnswerID: 12333

Reply By: Mick - Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 23:06

Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 23:06
AK you seem to be well aware that it's not the type of vehicle for that sort of travel and being aware of that is I think half way to making it a successful trip. Not too sure about the advice on tyres - I've been lots of places on road tyres (Grandtreks) and never has damage or a puncture - including Simpson Desert, Oodnadatta track, Birdsville track, Vic high country, SA outback mud after rain!! I've travelled with others who've had flats but maybe I'm lucky!! Somehow I don't think the "tough" tyres are any less likely to be damaged or punctured and it's an expensive exercise to change tyres for one trip. If you are constantly aware of your vehicles limitations you should be fine and it's by no means the most demanding 4wd trip in Australia. I know a number of "first time" 4wders who've done it with no problems and I read a magazine article on two sedans (2wd) who did it. Good luck.
AnswerID: 12453

Reply By: Mick - Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 23:07

Monday, Feb 03, 2003 at 23:07
AK you seem to be well aware that it's not the type of vehicle for that sort of travel and being aware of that is I think half way to making it a successful trip. Not too sure about the advice on tyres - I've been lots of places on road tyres (Grandtreks) and never has damage or a puncture - including Simpson Desert, Oodnadatta track, Birdsville track, Vic high country, SA outback mud after rain!! I've travelled with others who've had flats but maybe I'm lucky!! Somehow I don't think the "tough" tyres are any less likely to be damaged or punctured and it's an expensive exercise to change tyres for one trip. If you are constantly aware of your vehicles limitations you should be fine and it's by no means the most demanding 4wd trip in Australia. I know a number of "first time" 4wders who've done it with no problems and I read a magazine article on two sedans (2wd) who did it. Good luck.
AnswerID: 12455

Follow Up By: Ak - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 18:06

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 18:06
Thanks guys for the info.
AK
FollowupID: 7296

Sponsored Links