Home made sand flag

Submitted: Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 17:19
ThreadID: 31942 Views:5714 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
After reading that telescopic poles like wonder poles are the best way to go I ordered one from the fishing and camping shop. Now my question is what is the best way to attach it to the bull bar? Also where can I get a cheap orange flag to stick on it?
Cheers, SLY.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 17:36

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 17:36
A short piece of conduit zip tied to the bullbar should do the trick. I picked up my piece of orange from a local place that makes protective clothing and flags it was a offcut flag
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 161707

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 17:36

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 17:36
Cheap orange flag from K-Mart bicycle dept. Use gaffa tape or U-bolts to attach to bullbar. Works for me :))))
AnswerID: 161708

Reply By: Member JD- Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 17:41

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 17:41
Hi Slyonnet,
Me,I used my nigger rod for the post and I had an old orange saftey vest which I cut into triangles..that was my flag and a couple of my mates aswell,a bit of insulation tape around my roobar as not to mark the piant..a couple of cable ties later..hey presto..a second use for my rod..and a new life for an old saftey vest reworked but still doing the job it was originally designed for..visability.Hope this helps.
JD
AnswerID: 161714

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 19:35

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 19:35
JD ,

I used an old 7 foot Ugly Stik blank and bound on and glued a tip and a small guide to accept the excellent Sand Dune flag that they sell on E-Bay .

Then I got a piece of aluminium tube just a bit bigger in ID than the blank . Then I taped and cable tied this to the back of the upright on my bull bar .

Then I got some clear tape and tightly bound it onto the base of the blank until it was a tight fit in the alloy tube .

Being a bit anal retentive / obsessive compulsive , I am eventually going to mount a fold down aerial base to my roof rack and put the blank in that . Everyone will be envious of my magnificent edifice and I will be the envy of all flag users . It will be really high and without doubt , will be despatched by the first shade tree I decide to eat lunch under .

Cheers ,

Willie .

PS .
I have never used my sand flag - sob , but I already have designed the new improved one . Have I got too much time on my hands ?

FollowupID: 416417

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 20:04

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 20:04
I bought a Wog Pole and stuck it in a bit of polypipe which I cable tied to the bullbar.

Trouble is that the WP was too flimsy and has snapped off in a number of places. It was 5m long tho.....lol. Now I use the HF aerial.

Who said the flag had to be orange?

A pair of old undies will do the trick just as well. Any colour and just tape it on.
AnswerID: 161745

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 21:09

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 21:09
Would new undies be better?
FollowupID: 416432

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 21:18

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 21:18
Dunno Rick, dunno...lol

If you are feeling rich then by all means use the new ones.

Maybe EO can invent a Flag for desert drivers
FollowupID: 416433

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 20:12

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 20:12
Rick, I can't see that new undies would be better. Arguably a g-string would probably be seen before any larger piece of material and if used may be more of an eye-magnet. ;-)
FollowupID: 416683

Reply By: Member - Russell B (SA) - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 21:08

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 21:08
Slyonnet,
When I had the Hilux, got some electrical pipe, need to have a short piece with the female end. This piece I zip tied to the bull bar, short, so you can reach it to put the next longer piece in.

Got some bright pink material from Spot Light, made the flag and zipped it to the top --- good tall sand flag.

With the new RV have used above, but have got an old 27mg arial which I will put a flag on and attach to the roof rack.

Just another idea.
Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 161764

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 01:30

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 01:30
"After reading that telescopic poles like wonder poles are the best way to go"

Where did you read this Sly?

The best way to go is to buy a purpose made flag pole. You can get them from 4WD Shops.
Mine screws into a spring base that mounts to the aerial bracket on the bull bar.
The spring base and the fibreglass pole should ensure that there is little chance of snapping the flag pole off.

Only problem I guess is that they are not cheap. I paid about $80 for mine.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 161813

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:16

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:16
I used the heavy sprung base of an old UHF antenna (one of those 'broom-stick' type). It is mounted at the front/centre line of my roof rack (7 feet off the ground) and into it I slide a doctored-up tent pole (about 6 foot long). The flag I use was 'obtained' from the side of the road.......it is about 1' square and is of the type used by the SA road gangs to mark holes/problems on the shoulder of the road. This one appeared to have fallen off the back of a truck ;-)))
FollowupID: 416500

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:41

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:41
I also used a wog pole of 7 meters but I tell it to duck when we get to overhanging branches. I fix this to the bull bar by using a fishing rod holder (just 1 tube that was cut off a four tube holder) attached by a U bolt.

Like this,

Bought some safety colour material (the stuff they make shirts from) and mad a flag.

Work on the basis that its purpose is to warn oncoming traffic then those pi$$y little things just won't do.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 161845

Sponsored Links