Pole BBQ

Submitted: Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 17:57
ThreadID: 31945 Views:4116 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all - I'm trying to locate a decently designed pole BBQ for sale, or the specs for one to make. You know, the ones, an open fire cooking arrangement with a central rod pushed into the ground, from which you can attach via a short length of conduit over the rod cantilevered arms for a billy, camp oven, cooking plate etc, so the cantoleverd arms can be easily raised and lowered to suit the sixe of the fire and the heat you need. The ones I've seen for sale so far are too flimsy or it is too easy for the cantilevered arm to drop into the fire.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: spliney - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 19:23

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 19:23

Ring for a catalogue or ask over the ph - great country people to deal with. Not cheap, but make great stuff. I seem to recall a photo in their catalogue of what you want.

Alan Morris Blacksmith & Farrier
68 Fairfield Rd Lowood QLD 4311
t:(07) 5426 1418

AnswerID: 161732

Reply By: lunchbuckett - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 21:32

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 21:32
max i use a car jack the one that you slide the stem into a tube on the car . weld base and drill holes tent peg extend the lift arm to get over fire . it is hight adjustable and can take the weight hope this helps
AnswerID: 161774

Reply By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 21:54

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 21:54
I made my own. It doesn't need to be as heavy as the ones at the shows. We've used ours for years without a problem. It is height adjustable but I've found that I drop down them adjust the coals - if you have to raise it then the fire's too hot! Upright is a 16mm square tube with a point on one end and a short piece welded at a right angle about 40cm from the bottom. You can push this in with your foot if the ground is soft enough or hammer the tube in (whilst holding a piece of wood on top so that the tube does splay) if it's hard

The attachments finish with a 50mm length of water pipe. The round pipe on the square tube stops it falling once the weight is on. I drilled a series of holes through the tube and through the water pipe end for a peg but don't usually use them. The grill is the mesh out of an old Weber tacked onto a piece of 16mm tube, the Weber had a half round cast hotplate that goes on top of the grill. I also made a wok holder which is just a ring out of 6mm rod and the wok was $2 at a school fete. A long L shaped rod with hooks out of coat hanger fits into the top of the tube to hang utensils. Total cost around $6. Add whatever extra attachments in the same way.

AnswerID: 161785

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 22:15

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 22:15
Have a look at this one Bush B B Q Very popular in my club, I have one also and reckon its the best I have seen made by a guy in Melb and for the price you wouldn't bother spending the time to do it yourself.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 161793

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 01:42

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 01:42

Hillbilly also have a "Cooking Stand" and a whole range of attachments, from fry pans to barbecue plates to woks, etc.

Hillbilly Camping

Click on view products and scroll down to Cooking Stand....whatever.


I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 161814

Reply By: max - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 17:53

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 17:53
G'day all - my thanks for your interest and information - wehave found what we want. Cheers Max
AnswerID: 162517

Sponsored Links