Places and Ratings - Caravan Parks

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 01:10
ThreadID: 31969 Views:1917 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Just a quick update on the Places system. We have been working very hard on importing a load of Caravan parks data and associated updates to the places system. We now have 126 Caravan parks in QLD and about 50% of the NSW parks loaded (total so far 228). We have also added a sub feature display to the Places system so that you can see what Caravan parks have what features (such as Showers, disabled facilities, pets allowed etc etc). We have also added a Places rating system to allow you to write a comment and rate the places in the database. At the moment the sub features & ratings have been added to the Caravan Parks Places data.

We have also added a state selection to the lookup so you can now say show me all Caravan parks in QLD for instance. Once the ratings system has some data we will also add a rating lookup so all Caravan Parks in QLD with X visitor rating stars etc.

I will shortly be adding a map search function to the system so you will be able to select a type of place and select an area of the map. If you can think of other ways that you would like to be able to search the data please let me know.

I am now working on the ability to allow you all to update the database and add images, text and update the feature lists of these places and I expect to have this done in part in the next few days.

Anyway have a look, enjoy and send any feedback you have.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 01:46

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 01:46
So what do you do in your spare time? LOL.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 161815

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 01:50

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 01:50
Well still working - I am still updating the output of places still now started 8AM still going 10:50PM with a few interuptions in between....

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 416488

Reply By: marion - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:21

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:21
Thank you again for the great work you guys are doing, this will be a great system when planning trips.Keep up the good ideas and listening to us all. Marion
Talawana
VKS Selcall 2691

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 161839

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:47

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:47
Great work David, just a suggestion, is it possible to have the search meta data include the town/city/place of the park. For example, Airport Tourist Park I can't find if I use Forest Hill as a search criteria.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 161847

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:09

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:09
Beatit,

Yes I un-covered this last nigh in testing I have an alternate reference field and we will be adding the suburb and town name to this field to allow you to find it with these references. Pity I have to get the maint looked at again - Oh well. It will be done in a few days.

Basically we will add the suburb and town to any park that does not have it as part of the business name. Thanks for the feedback.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 416537

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 14:09

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 14:09
Beatit,

I have just updated the database to have the place name as part of the lookup so now Forest Hill will resolve this place. Basiclaly the rule has been that if the park does not contain the name of the place we add the placename it to the search results.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 416564

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 14:32

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 14:32
Thanks David. It makes sense to look for a place by town name. Great service. I wish I had computer savvy, can see how these things should work in principle but no chance of making anything happen.

Thanks again and kind regards
FollowupID: 416566

Reply By: lambo - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:08

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:08
Great idea. I think it wud help if u made the search function user optional, ie by City/Town etc or by Name of the park. We use Caraparks a lot and we will be very happy to add info etc.

Cheers and keep up the good info
AnswerID: 161855

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:10

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:10
See reply above. Oh and by the way you do not have to enter al the fields so you can say Caravan Parks in QLD or even just Caravan Parks and the system will give you results.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 416538

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:08

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:08
Looking great David. Will be a great source when it is developed.
Probably covered in your map search plans, but sorting Parks by route or between X and Y would be helpful.

Will you eventually add Free and Bush Camps (as submitted by users) as well? This is probably a bit more difficult, but may be even more valuable the the CPs
AnswerID: 161856

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:21

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:21
I should have looked first David. I see you have made provision for Free Camps
FollowupID: 416513

Reply By: Penguin (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:39

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:39
David

Great job but I think you'd better do an entry for Birdsville before someone sees it!

Thanks for all your work.

Mike
AnswerID: 161863

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:11

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:11
Interesting it was not in our source data. I just need a lat/long for it as advertisers will link in a slightly different way. I will get this sorted ASAP.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 416540

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 18:13

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 18:13
Thank you Mr and Mrs Penguin - I haven't even looked at this yet!!!
FollowupID: 416618

Reply By: Member JD- Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:32

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:32
Hi David,and folks on Exploroz,
I think this is a really good idea,so we can find good parks and owners,how many park owners have you come across...and well there pigs..they treat you and your kids like dirt..but they have the ordasity to have a sign saying they are part of the family parks association...you ask yourself how do they manage to get away with this...well this might be just the thing to bring them back to reality..as long as it a true representation of what happened..we as a whole can be aware..and aviod these little hitlers you find out there..the ones that hate your presence but your money is keeping them fed...in a, the good ,the bad,the ugly...type of approach....have you experienced this?
JD
AnswerID: 161880

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 11:31

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 11:31
Fabulous addition David, hell of a lot of work, will alert a couple of other forums of your addition & encourage them to "become members."

Tried to add feed back to a couple of them, clicked rank but did not appear to get there. Maybe it goes via your system first for scrutiny?
Cheers Boroma 604.
You have a marvellous site!!!!!.
AnswerID: 161887

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:18

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:18
Boroma,

The feedback system should have worked fine! I have testedit sevral times. Tell me can you open the Zoom Map feature?

If not I suspect that you have an Internet security or Pop up killer that is set a little too sensitive. Try turning it off for a period and test the functions again and let me know?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 416543

Sponsored Links