Opera House Bait Traps

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:34
ThreadID: 31989 Views:6148 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
A follow on from a discussion on another thread. The rules seem to be different in every state for the use of Opera House and similar traps to catch Yabbies and Red Claw. I started to do a search of Fisheries Dept web sites in the various states, but it just got too hard. Great that we live in one country isn't it.

On our upcoming trip, we will be travelling through Qld, SA, NT and WA. I think a standard trap is about 600mm x 200mm with approx 100mm openings.
Anyone know the rules on these traps for any or all of the states we are travelling through?
How many traps per person?
Any variatioin on what I think is a standard trap?
Any bag limit on Yabbie and Red Claw catches.
Any licence required for use in public waters (Rivers, Creeks, etc)

Don't want to break the rules too much, but also want to be able to use the same traps throughout the trip.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:49

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:49
There are a lot of restrictions on these traps in various states.

They are banned in NSW waters where you find Platypus.

In some other waters you have to have a Stiff ring of steel wire or similar to hold open the entry way so things can swim out etc.

But each state is different so when you get your seperate licence in each state where required they should give you an info booklet.
AnswerID: 161960

Reply By: phantom - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:52

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 16:52
Hi there Norm,
In WA, we call them Marron. There are almost a protected species. You must be licenced to catch them, there is daily bag limit of ten. Now the hard bit....the open season for 2006 went from 20th Januray to 5th February. So you get about two weeks per year to catch them. There are also only specifice places where they can be caught. Unless you can do it on private property, there is not much hope for tourists.
AnswerID: 161961

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 17:36

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 17:36
Jeez, Norm, I'm not going to tell you anything more!!!!!!! We're still in Queensland here so nip into the Post Office or DPI and get the little fisheries pamphlett (or the camping/fishing/bait shop) which will tell you about fishing in Queensland waterways and inland rivers. And, Norm, try not to open your mouth too wide!
AnswerID: 161975

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 18:17

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 18:17
I know they are OK in QLD Ruth. Not sure how many traps are allowed, but I can find out pretty easy. Might even have the info here if I look. It is the other states I'm travelling to that I'm looking for the info on.

Don't worry Ruth, anything you tell me on this forum will remain our secret. I promise.
FollowupID: 416619

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:09

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:09
NEVER travel without at least 4 of them as if you are serious into outback travel they will provide you with very good tucker.They are legal in Queensland and N.Territory where you will catch Redclaw and Cherubin ( much nicer eating) but are illegal inW.A. It depends how remote you are as to what is "legal" or not as you will find there are a lot of different laws in the bush.My only tip is to make sure you get the traps with the wire rings sewn into the two entrance pockets as if not you will get a trap full of turtles and nothing else.Also if you are in the Territory make sure they are tied down properly over night as the crocs can take the lot--net and all.
AnswerID: 162094

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:32

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:32
Thanks Rambler. Guess I'll also have a good look when setting and retreiving while in croc country!!!
FollowupID: 416771

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 00:45

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 00:45

Here's the Website For PIRSA, the South Australian Government Agency responsible for Fishing rules and regulations.

No real drama for the Cooper Creek / Cullyamurra region you intend visiting.

PIRSA - Recreational Fishing Guide

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 162108

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 01:41

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 01:41
Thanks for that Sand Man. Looks like I'm OK in Qld, SA and NT, but not WA. I'll try to do the right thing.
FollowupID: 416791

Sponsored Links